All reviews jolly boys shared bathroom bed room free shuttle victoria falls self catering kitchen mosquito net common areas nice pool book activities livingstone museum day trip sunset cruise hostel wifi ensuite dorm
Selected filters
Reviewed April 21, 2019

Very nice atmosphere and very kind and pleasant staff.
Very clean and well-maintained.
But some mosquitoes were annoying in the room as well as in the property after the sunset, although I understoo it might be beyond their ability.
And I don't know why, but they let a local guy roam around the property and deceive guests into fake trips. I fell prey to his plot and handed him over big money for a day trip. The reason I believed him was he seemed to be close to the staff and the gate guards of Jollyboys. But he disappeared after taking my money. Fortunately I had a photo taken as a proof while I handed the money over to him and ended up reporting to the police with the help of the staff of Jollyboys. Anyway I had to move on and couldn't get money back. Be careful of the con artist shown in the photo unless you want to spoil your holidays.

Room tip: Dorm room has an air conditioner and it's cool, but private room has only a fan and it's hot.
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
MichZIMZAM, General Manager at Jollyboys International Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2019

Hi there YoungSooKim, we were all very saddened by the situation you mention as we genuinely care that our guests have the best possible experience, not only at Jollyboys, but throughout their travels.

Jollyboys welcomes external visitors to the bar and restaurant, and very very rarely do we experience any problems as a result. The man in question has never caused any concern previously, our staff are very vigilant and know how to recognize when strangers approach guests in order to offer fictitious discounted activities. We have never had guests experience this on the property before and we are truly sorry that you fell foul to this.

Our travel desk tried to assist you with booking your Chobe day trips, at a rate of US$ 157 per person (one of the cheapest rates available). Unfortunately this was considered too expensive and we were not able to manage your booking. The sad reality is that there are desperate people who will take a chance, if the opportunity presents itself. Buying activities and tours from unlicensed individuals is always a risky situation, and if we ever hear that guests have been approached on the street, we always warn against it.

We have taken the matter to the police, who are working on the case, and the man in question will of course never be allowed back on to Jollyboys property.

Despite the unpleasant end to your time in Livingstone, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Jollyboys. We wish you all the best for the rest of your trip.

Reviewed March 10, 2019

I had a private shared African room type it was very cool for me as a solo traveler.The Receptionist (Lloyd) was very professional and Excellent on travel advice on what to do around.The food was great , The Barman (Song) was very good to everyone on his counter.Great place Great workers i would recommend Jolly Boys International Backpackers to both Family,group and solo travelers.
Keep up the good Service which is of true value for money.

Room tip: African twin /double rooms are the best at this hotel
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
MichZIMZAM, General Manager at Jollyboys International Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2019

Aaaaaah - thanks Edward!

We only hope we can welcome you back one day.

Wishing you al lthe best for your future travels ...

Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

We were on a family vacation and really enjoyed Jollyboys Backpackers. We were able to cook our meals and the children enjoyed the pool. We had booked 2 rooms (one for all the girls and one for us the parents). The girls had a great room. Our room on the other hand had serious problems. It had lots of mosquitos. The room smelled and there was a tiny window with no screens. We know we needed to have it closed it night or cats or other critters would come right in. There was a stand fan in the room. I contacted the front desk who said we would need to go into town to buy mosquito spray for the room. I informed them that the room is unacceptable. They were very nice about it and were able to give us another room. This room had screens in the windows, no mosquitos and was great. All the staff was pleasant. Backpackers is within walking distance of different places we wanted to go to in town.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank tadamom
MichZIMZAM, Manager at Jollyboys International Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2019

Hey tadamom - many thanks for taking the time ot write a review, we do appreciate the feedback.

I have spoken with the Reservations Supervisor and raised this as a learning point for the reception team; whilst we recommend everyone uses repellent because of the general bug situation in Zambia / Africa …. There is absolutely no reason why we could not have sprayed you room – our apologies for that.

There are a couple of rooms from the original old building where the window design do not allow for mosquito netting in the frames, unfortunately. We do plan on knocking those windows out eventually, but it is quite an undertaking.

We are delighted to hear you were ultimately taken care of and that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your time in Livingstone.

Reviewed January 13, 2019 via mobile

We came to stay at Jollyboys so we could explore Livingstone and Victoria falls. My family and I camped, and though it was a little snug for our family tent, we fitted ourselves in. The pool was a big hit with the kids and the whole place is set out beautifully, with art work and colourful fabrics everywhere. Mangoes falling from the trees were a big treat, and something to watch out for (Fortunately none of us got hit!) the pillow pit was as beautiful as anticipated. Many of the residents, including us, use the guest kitchen which is easy to use and has plenty of space for everyone. There was an error with the booking we made for our relatives (who were travelling with us), but as soon as the staff realised their mistake they did everything they could to rectify things - they are all very friendly and so welcoming. If I was to suggest any improvements it would be in the shower blocks. They were always clean, but the showers flooded easily, leaving a very slippery floor. There was also no place to put your wash bag or dry things except door hooks. Not easy if you just want to freshen up at the sinks, or get dressed in the shower cubicles (and certainly not easy with loads of kids in tow) Anyway, despite this our stay at Jollyboys was brilliant and we would certainly come again if we ever were visiting Livingstone and the Victoria Falls again.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
MichZIMZAM, General Manager at Jollyboys International Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2019

Hi there joolsmap!

Many thanks for your feedback, I have spoken with the housekeeping team and we are going to try a couple of different options to increase the storage in those shower blocks.

We do have a second set of shower block facilities, which we will from now on start reccommending to families in non-en suite accommodation.

We are delighted to hear you all have a fabulous time in Livingstone adn enjoyed your stay with us - we loved the energy you all brought to the place!

Wishing you all the best for your future travels.

Reviewed January 2, 2019

I stayed here for 3 nights as a solo traveler. I booked the dorm room initially but after hurting my ankle on a whitewater rafting, I requested for private room to tend to my ankle.

The staff were accommodating and nice. They really care about you. The spa was a nice touch as well, and I got 2 massages. The bar and kitchen was decent and affordable and delicious! Overall, a really great experience to meet other travelers and also connect with the local people. The resident cat was a plus too!

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank cookiebeast

Hey cookiebeast!

We are delighted to hear you had such a fab time, despite the ankle!

We hope to welcome you back one day. Wishing you allthe best for your future travels.

The Jollyboys Team.