Not sure whether this is a fate of any hotel in Livingstone, but appears most of the guests are one or two nights layover between changing their countries of safari or going back home.
As a result, service and activities are taylored accordingly:
- half a day or couple of hours templated trips;
- if you are travelling with kids i do strongly incourage you to visit the local traditional village (30mins away from the hotel) to make your kids get a perspective on their quality of life and schooling;
- on a night of a full moon i was told by one of the staff there are special night visit to Victoria falls - i wish they have told earlier so we could book me in!
- those arriving from delta will find boat trips less eventful. So not sure whether is worth it when staying 1-2 nights...
- ask for visiting cat's breeding centre (cheetahs, lions) as early as possible in advance as number of visitors is limited with no exceptions!
- Victoria falls are only 30mins away by car;
As for the lodge
- there only 3 camps authorised in this national park;
- lodges are build with proper window frames, rather then traditional tents, making it feel more of a hotel, then a wildlife camp.
- detail of what might need in the rooms is impecable, no luxury though (very simple wood pieces used for bathroom hooks, mirrors or panels, towels look like they have been well used, etc);
- all tents have a patio with modern chaise-longue facing Zambezi river. It is a fonderful experience to watch and listen the river flow by (it is onlyabout 50-100meters away from your tent);
- food is very good, but do not expect any splashes!
- if i had a choice would rather stay here at the start of my trip to get full enchantment, then at the end when already stayed in much exotic setting...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A safari-style sanctuary situated right on the banks of the Zambezi River, Toka Leya provides a peaceful wilderness experience just 12 km away from the iconic Victoria Falls. It is the perfectplace to unwind for a few nights before or after a safari, or visit as a stand-alone destination. With luxurious outdoor baths, a wellness centre complete with yoga/meditation deck and your private veranda overlooking the rushing, roaring river, there is ample space to relax - or set off on one of the many adventurous activities on offer, from white rhino tracking to bungee jumping. • 12 tents (3 family) • Victoria Falls tour • river cruises • game drives • nature walks • village visits • spa and gym • catch-and-release fishing ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Toka Leya Hotel Livingstone