“Fall Forrest Fall!”

Flying Fox
Ranked #18 of 38 things to do in Livingstone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Abseil Zambia offers several adrenalin activities out in the magnificent Batoka Gorge. Take one at a time, from Abseiling, Rap Jumping, Flying Fox, Zip Line or the World famous Gorge Swing... OR take a full days adventure comprising of all these activities as many times as you wish, with return transfers breakfast, lunch and beers included.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What a day! I chose the full day package which provides exceptional value on the adrenalin-o-meter. Managed to abseil facing back and front, fly the fox 5 times (slide like superman along a cable set up 100m above the gorge) and jump off the cliff in a 50m+ freefall+swing 3 times. The package also included a filling lunch (fries & chicken and a almost-greek-salad), plenty of water and a couple of sodas.

When it comes to the main attraction of free falling I did it 3 times without hesitation, don't think and its easier to take the step. You are attached to both main ropes and a security backup rope and it feels safe. However even after 3 times it stills feel incredibly unnatural to jump of a cliff, decide for yourself beforehand if you want to do it then do it, don't watch and overthink it then panic will set in. And do hold tight to the yellow rope that you are given, I let it loose on the backward fall and snapped my back at the end of the free fall, not too bad but could have been.
Also note that for the flying fox you'll be reeled back in, for the abseil and gorge swing be prepared for a 10-15min hike up the gorge on uneven rocky path.

I almost had more fun watching a few others do it, it looks more dramatic from the top seeing someone drop 50m+, it was also hilarious hearing some local Zambian girls screaming their head off on the relatively more docile flying fox. As the incredibly experienced main guide Kulu (ask him about rafting on 4 continents!) says: Happy days! (right before he "throws" you off the cliff).

2  Thank reeop
There are newer reviews for Zambezi Eco Adventures

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I did all the activities for a full day! The Gorge swing and the Tandem were my favourite. I had a go at the Zipline, Abseil and Rap jump as well, together with my boyfriend. He is the adrenaline junkie, and I think I just caught on. Awww--Absolute adrenaline rush! This is not for the faint hearted! Wear good walking shoes as it's quite a distance from the bottom of the gorge all the way back to the top. A bottle of water will definitely be your "highly prized possession" after each of the swings. Kulu and team were very professional and helpful and kept our nerves in check. We loved our video and the photos that you took for us before some of the activities.

Thank you Abseil Zambia team! I'm telling all my friends in Uganda and everywhere else about this amazing experience! It was an experience of a lifetime! It was worth every US Dollar we spent - It was the perfect Livingstone Experience!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We did the tandem gorge swing and zip line. Gorge swing was scary but the staff was very professional' and did their best to reassure me. The zip line is much cheaper. Less adrenaline but you can enjoy the view lot more. Afterwards, we were brought to a local souvenir shop. Nice people but everything was overpriced so, while the shop is supposed to benefit a local community, don't hesitate to bargain a bit or go to the shops in town.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Loved the zip line experience. Just run and go for it! Couldn't do the swing (looked absolutely horrifying to me) but got to see a friend do it. And he was thrilled! Nice staff too; they showed us how to play mancala afterwards :)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Oh what an amazing time. I decided to do a tandem swing due to cots etc and it was amazing. The feeling was just pure adrenaline. It all seemed safe enough too, well as well as one would expect from Africa !!! Goooo doooo itttt :)