“This is a great place!”

Ranked #4 of 31 Livingstone B&B and Inns
amsterdam
“This is a great place!”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Zigzag was one of the best places I stayed in when I was in Africa! Genuinely friendly and helpful staff and clean rooms with the most wonderful showers. They have a beautiful and very peaceful garden and a good breakfast. If I ever return to Livingstone again I will definitely stay in Zigzag again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
Lusaka, Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've stayed at Zig Zags a couple of times - once on my own and once with my father. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with mozzie nets and air con. The lodge is peaceful, located a little outside town on the road to Vic Falls. The breakfast is great and the food from the restauraunt is tasty and very good value (with the best muffins in Zambia!). The staff are extremely friendly and helpful in organising activities around Livingstone. All in all a great B&B and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My mom & I stayed at Zig Zags on our recent trip to Zambia. The staff was incredibly helpful in welcoming us and helping us plan our time at Vic Falls. The rooms were clean and basic, with mosquito nets for every bed. The air-con worked well and the shower had great water pressure and heat.

Breakfast is for real: bacon & eggs, toast, coffee, and tea as well as cold cereal.

The location is quiet and nice. It's a bit out of town (a 10 minute easy, safe walk), and set in an area that has a nice pool and area for relaxing.

A nice bonus was the free Wi-fi that was of the fastest I've experienced in Africa.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Kalomo, Zambia
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm a single women traveler and I felt at home and at ease. When I drove through the gate I felt like I left it all behind. The atmoshpere is peaceful and the food is GREAT!!! I will never stay anywhere else! Loved it!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Gertie21
Kitchener
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The owner, Lilly, runs a top notch guest house / B&B. The rooms are clean and very practically laid out. The nets over the beds are the best I've seen -- a solid steel frame giving you much space to move inside the bed, unlike the single-point nets which often touch your body, giving mosquitoes access. The staff are very helpful and accommodating. The food is excellent. Very good value! I would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ndoy
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This review is long overdue! I have a list of places I want to visit before I die and Vic Falls is one of it. So I cannot not visit Vic Falls since I now live in Harare!

I needed to be out of Zimbabwe but got tired of Jo’burg, so Livingstone was perfect being just next to the Falls. I took Air Zim to Vic Falls and from there, walked across to Zambian side of the border and into a cab to the B&B.

I made contacts with Zig Zag B&B and received instant reply from their staff giving information on price, location of the B&B and helped with arranging all my activities including logistics. I paid US$50 for my room then (Nov 2010). I had all my dinners at the B&B, they were reasonably priced. Most of the time, the B&B staff or Lynne (the owner) would keep me company with stories of the day. The B&B has a pool and a nice enough garden. They also do a Friday night chill out with discounted drinks & live music from 1800 hours.

I noted that one recent guest has a negative remark on female safety at the B&B but I must say, I am also a single female traveller and I did not have any untoward incident at all during all my travels.

I will surely return one day, now that Harare is home for the next few years.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I want to say first that the staff is lovely and it’s a great place for a good value decent meals.

However, I don't think that this is a good place for solo travellers particularly women. On a recent stay I had to leave the B&B and check into a nearby hotel for fear of my safety. An intruder peered into my bathroom window, while I was getting dress in the early evening. Thankfully, whoever it was ran away once I started screaming. The security guards were very kind and walked around the premises with me and checked my window.

After the incident, I did not feel safe and left that night. When I spoke to the owner, Lilly, the next morning she didn't take me very seriously saying that it was my 'my perception'.
Actually, there are some really serious problems with the property that make it unsafe.
The backside of the lodging building is not lit and a good entry point for intruders. Also, the latches on the windows are flimsy and need to be replaced and the windows need to be properly sealed. There are gaps at the bottom and top of the doors that are large enough for lizards and mosquitoes to easily get into the room. I had to put a towel along the base of the door to keep out lizards and spray the room with bug spray to ward off bugs.

Generally, the rooms need investment. The owner is unlikely to take this or other concerns seriously, so steer clear for your own safety. As I said the staff is lovely, go there for a meal or coffee and book activities, but don't stay there; it's just not safe.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank femalesolo
ZigZag09, Owner at Zigzag B&B, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Firstly, my name is Lynne, not Lilly, and anyone is welcome to contact me to discuss the contents of this review. While I am sorry that any guest feels this way about Zig Zag, I strongly dispute that it is not a safe place for single women travellers, and we do have many single female guests. Every night we have 2 security guards near the rooms and 2 guard dogs who will bark if even a chair is in the wrong place. The back wall is around 2m high with broken glass on top. I should point out that, even with 8 other rooms occupied, and the guards and the dogs, no one else saw or heard anything on the night in question.

Our doors have, and had at the time, brush sealers on the bottom so lizards are unable to get through, and all windows have burglar bars on them so no one is able to come into the room via a window.

We aim for all our clients feel welcome, comfortable and safe at Zig Zag and are sorry that this was not the case for this guest.