My wife and I stayed at Sussi & Chuma for 4 nights, which is slightly longer than most visitors, but it was our only destination on this trip, so wanted to make the most of it. And it was a good decision. There is so much to do and experience in the area that a shorter stay would have been unfulfilling.
Firstly, the location is perfect. Closer to the falls there is a lot of traffic on the water and a helicopter flying by every 15min. Sussi is just far enough upstream to escape all of that noise and busy-ness, yet close enough to be able to take advantage of everything Vic Falls has to offer.
And Sussi's size makes it a very personal and exclusive experience. The service is highly individualized and the staff warm-hearted and sincere. We felt that we were being singled out for special treatment, but I am sure those are just the high standards Sanctuary set for themselves. Each party is assigned a guide at the start of ones stay and he is responsible for taking care of all ones needs. Our guide, David Junior, was very knowledgeable and a skilled boatman and driver. I am sure all the other guides are equally good, but Junior was exceptional and contributed greatly to this being such a legendary trip for us. The cherry on top was when he took us for a surprise private picnic lunch on one of the many islands dotting the Zambezi.
The other aspect of the location is that it is right on the Zambezi. That river is magical and we could stare at its many hues all day long. Elephants, hippos, crocodiles, buffalo and abundant birdlife is par for the course and our guide took us out for morning cruises, sunset cruises, fishing or whatever cruise we felt like. It really is a completely different experience than going on a commercial boat excursion with one of the many operators out of Vic Falls.
Other amenities: the rim-flow swimming pool where one can spend endless hours sipping G&T's while staring over the mighty river. The lounge area is elevated for more spectacular views across the Zambezi and then there is a deck at water-level for fireside sundowners that are priceless. The spa is also similarly special and the masseuse, Malala, is very friendly and skilled.
Whilst Sanctuary is not one of the cheapest resort groups you will come across, the nice thing is that almost everything is included in the rates. One can eat and drink as much as you like and unlimited boat trips and game drives are at ones disposal, all inclusive (spa treatments are optional extras).
And then there is the breath-taking Victoria Falls! We have been to the falls before, but it is awe inspiring every time. It is one of the truly unique natural wonders on Earth. We did the breakfast on Livingstone Island in addition to swimming in one of the rock pools right at the edge of the falls. It is an adrenaline rush second to none! We can really recommend it and echo David Livingstone's famous words: "Scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angles in their flight."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The stunning main area an elevated bar, superb wine cellar, lounge and open air dining area, curio shop and swimming pool. Full English and continental breakfast is served and high tea is available on request. The elegant shaded deck offers fantastic bird's eye views across the river. And last but not least, when all the excitement of the day has caught up, a revitalising spa treatment is the order of the day. Sussi Tree Houses: Twelve luxury tree houses are built into the canopy of majestic ebony trees lining the river bank. The air-conditioned rooms all with their own private viewing deck boast superb views over the white waters of the Zambezi. And if the fancy takes you, enjoy a private dinner on your deck, while the sounds of the bush provide enchanting background music. Chuma Houses: The two private Chuma Houses are perfect for families with young children. Each house has two en suite bedrooms, a spacious lounge and dining area and private plunge pool. Each of the houses also come with their own private chef, house staff, guide and private vehicle for activities for the duration of their stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sanctuary Sussi & Chuma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Sussi And Chuma
- Sanctuary Sussi & Chuma Hotel Livingstone