“The Islands of Siankaba”

Islands of Siankaba
Loughborough
“The Islands of Siankaba”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

What an amazing place! On the river Zambezi, so close to nature, and yet so comfortable and safe. Truly islands, a boat trip takes you out to the main hub of the resort, and then raised walkways and bridges go out to the lovely self contained lodges which have incredible views across the huge river setting and it's wildlife. The staff, all locals, are lovely. The catering is endlessly impressive. The overall experience gives you time to put your own life into context as you take time to glimpse Africa at its most impressive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Livingstone in Zambia is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited. The magical Island of Siankaba is breathtaking and its hard to believe that such destinations exist. It felt as if we where transported to a magical world, Africa in its raw, untouched form so far removed from the bustling city life that I am used to. Being perched on the mighty Zambezi River, home to hundreds of crocodiles, hippo's, elephant stood the most spectacular lodge I have ever visited. From the second we stepped onto the jetty at the entrance to the Island I knew that this was going to be an experience most could only dream of. This lodge is magnificent!! I have never come across a more friendly, service oriented lot of people whose common desire is to make sure guests are completely comfortable and happy. The accommodation is elevated for protection from the wild animals with sweeping views of the mighty Zambezi. It was luxury personified. The service was impeccable and I must make special mention of a few people that stood out. Brett and Adam were fantastic hosts and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time with them every evening. Lucky, Richard, Brighton and Adorable were outstanding in making sure we were comfortable and relaxed throughout our stay. Adorable is as adorable as his name and we believe this young man has a great future in the industry as his attention to detail and professionalism (and charm) will hold him in good stead. In fact, the Island of Siankaba's entire team is just brilliant. The food was impeccable, the room/chalet was gorgeous and that view is to die for. My husband and I would sit on the balcony pinching ourselves smiling from ear to ear while watching the monkey's swinging in the trees, hear the groan of hippo's just a few meters down and listen to the call of the Fish Eagle. It is indescribable really. The Victoria Falls are majestic and one time I found myself choking back a tear as I was moved by its thunderous power and beauty. Lucky who was our driver, surprised us by taking us to see a thousand year old Baobab tree. He was also eager to teach us about the Small 5. Until then I thought we only had the Big 5 and found this information fascinating. Brighton, our fishing guide took us out to catch some tiger fish and my hubby was thrilled as he caught 2, unfortunately I had a few bites but caught nothing haha but thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Another highlight of our trip was on the morning we were to leave. The hotel had arranged for us to have a guided tour of the neighboring village and it was the most incredible tour ever. The villagers were warm and welcoming and were obliging when I asked if I could take pictures. We met the village head and his wife and that was quite an honor. I salute the Island of Siankaba for doing so much to help this humble village, they built a school, a church and provided a central tap for water. Speaking to the villagers via a translator, they mentioned how before, when collecting water from the river they'd be attacked by crocodiles and hippo. Hearing that made me realize how much I've taken for granted as water has been available to me all my life. This entire experience has ignited that passion and love we have for Africa and we want to thank the Island of Siankaba for that. We congratulate you on your amazing outlook regarding your guests and wish you every success. From my husband and I: "THANK YOU" and here's to many many more beautiful adventures

Room Tip: We where in room no 6 the only one facing the back which also had views of the zambezi...we thought...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annabel B
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Islands of Siankaba for 6 days in early March 2013 and enjoyed our stay.there so much we will be going back. We were met and collected at Livingstone Airport by one of the lodge drivers Shadreck who set the tone for the whole week.( 5 star) It was very hot and we were immediately given cold flannels and cold drinks before being transported to the complex about 30kms away in an A/C bus. Shadrecks expert knowledge of Livingston and the local area including the wildlife was very impressive.

Upon arriving at the complex reception we were met by the managers Brett and Claire where we were offered refreshments followed by a brief chat about the complex. We were then taken on a small boat around to the island itself where the individual lodges and bar/dining area are located. Lunch was already waiting for us which was superb and our luggage had been taken to our room.

Over the course of our stay it just got better and better. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff and any concerns we did have, which were minor, were very quickly dealt with. We originally had plans to visit many of the major sites there over the coming days, Vic Falls, Chobe National Park etc but in the end we elected to stay most of the time on the Island and only saw Vic Falls and Livingston. The place is so idyllic and relaxing, the food absolutely superb, the management and staff so friendly and helpful that it was a perfect holiday for us. To enjoy a nice break from work and re charge the batteries in such a beautiful location was just what my wife and I needed.. Would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here last March as part of a group who volunteered to help in the schools in the village. made very welcome by all staff and had a lovely stay. food was excellent and accomodation very clean and comfortable. views from the lodges were fantastic. had an unforgettable trip and hope to return soon!

London
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I spent four nights here in February/March this year and had a wonderful time that will stay with us forever. We could easily have stayed longer - to enjoy all that the lodge has to offer as well as everything there is to see and experience in the surrounding area (Victoria Falls, Livingstone Island, Chobe National Park in Botswana - less than an hour away - to mention just a few things that we did). The location of this luxurious lodge is just stunning, seriously one of the most peaceful and relaxing places we have ever been. The accommodation is just gorgeous and very unique - cabins perched right on the Zambezi with incredible views. If you don't mind being woken early (and you won't, because you won't want to waste a minute of your day!), then leave the cabin flaps open as you drift off to sleep to the calming sound of the river, and you'll awake to the most beautiful sunrise. The food here is just fantastic - proper gourmet dishes, great wine, mouth-watering desserts. My wife is a vegetarian and her veggie options were really delicious too. But the best thing of all about the Islands of Siankaba is the people. From the second you arrive you are made to feel like one of the family, and it's clear that they want to make sure you have the best trip possible, helping you to plan day trips and catering to your every need. There were some really memorable special touches during our stay, including the surprise bubble bath that was prepared for my wife one evening after a long day, and the romantic dinner in a secluded gazebo that we were treated to one night - also a surprise! I have been to Africa many times, and the Islands of Siankaba remains a top destination for me. My wife had never been to Zambia or any similar country before and the lodge, together with our humbling visit to the neighbouring village and preschool (funded by the lodge), provided her with an unforgettable first experience and a longing to return! Brett and Claire are fantastic hosts, and special mentions also to Shedreck, Humphrey, Maben, Brighton, Richard and Adam for looking after us so well! And Malindi, you are a real inspiration - your work with the children and your passion for teaching really touched us. We shall return!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite (tent 7) has the most secluded location at the very tip of the island and is the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here last year as part of a volunteering oportunity. Facilities and food were first class and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Attending to our every need with a smile we quickly felt relaxed and part of the siankaba family. The spectacular surroundings and the boat trips will never be forgotten. Tried hard to think of a suggestion to improve the islands of siankaba but have found it impossible! Hope to return soon!

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Travelling with a group of young ladies volunteering in the local schools we could not have been made more welcome or looked after better. Food fantastic, service excellent and company (including Claire, Brett and all of the staff) second to none! As for the surroundings could only suggest a visit, difficult to put into words. Accomodation of the highest standards, being so close to nature with the hippos 'chorus' a regular feature unbeatable. My photos are regularly on in a digital photo frame and raise a smile when switched on. An unforgettable trip and many new found friends! Hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: All rooms excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Siankaba, Owner at Islands of Siankaba, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
HI Gail E.

Many thanks indeed for writing a report on Trip Advisor and further thanks to the "Scotish Contingent" fo all their volunteering efforts. Indeed we would love to welcome you back to the lodge one day soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingstone
Tongabezi
AVANI Victoria Falls Resort
#3 of 17 in Livingstone
Victoria Falls River Lodge - Zambezi Crescent
Royal Chundu Luxury Zambezi Lodges

Been to Islands of Siankaba? Share your experiences!