“"Special In Every Way!"”

Islands of Siankaba
Reviewed September 2, 2012

So pleased that we made this choice. Where to start -- beautiful & quite a unique location. Not simply on the Zambezi, but this superb lodge is "in" the Zambezi -- at least on 2 islands as the name suggests, where the excellent chalets along with all facilities are located, whilst the boat trip from reception on the mainland round to the island jetty provided both a delightful & intriguing start to 3 memorable days.

The service from management & staff was first class, the holiday enhanced by the tip top, highly trained, friendly folk from Siankaba & Siandavu villages who gave us the best of attention throughout our stay.

To hear the regular calls of fish eagles prior to observing a pair in nearby trees, their cries mixing with the grunting evidence of hippos nearby, each being only a prelude to the evening river cruise, where pied kingfishers, open-billed storks, cormorants, Egyptian geese, swallows & crowned plovers were all spotted nearby. After an absorbing meeting with a pod of hippos close to the Zimbabwe side of the river, and nearby a pair of frolicking otters, there through the trees a group including waterbuck, bushbuck, zebra, and kudu paraded in perfect timing before the sun set, whilst we began to anticipate another delightful meal in the restaurant overlooking the lagoon.

Islands of Siankaba offers so much and hopefully there will be another opportunity to enjoy this special location and all that it offers. Could say more, but certainly sincere thanks to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Siankaba, Owner at Islands of Siankaba, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear JEC160812,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write such a fabulous report. We are delighted you liked the lodge and all our friendly wildlife.

We look forwrad to seeing you back at the Islands again in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Recently spent 4 nights at Siankaba with my girlfriend, who had flown up to meet me in Livingstone. This was the first time we were alone, without kids and were looking for a romantic, peaceful setting that allowed us to explore. We got it all and more!! The accomodation is 5 star, meals delicious and staff and management very friendly. They went out of their way on so many occasions to make the stay all the better. I cannot fault the establishment on a single item, everything was perfect. I find it hard to believe that any one can out do the Islands Of Siankaba for value for money nor efficiency and luxury!

Room Tip: All the rooms excellent, I understand that there is a VIP room, but we stayed in a normal room and i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Siankaba, Owner at Islands of Siankaba, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Mark P,

Thank you so much for your review - your feedback is truly appreciated by the whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is one of my most favourite places on earth. My husband and I stayed here in July - the journey from the airport to the lodge is longer than staying at one of the hotels by the Falls but it is completely worth it. This secluded place is romantic, yet also family friendly. Our cabin was beautiful and always well maintained. The staff is incredible and always willing to please, booking us a last minute tour of Victoria Falls with no problem. It gets cold at night in July but they put an electric blanket in your room so it's perfect! The food is excellent - it always tasted as though I was at a five star restaurant. We were fortunate enough to visit while the owner was visiting for his holiday (a great sign for the place when the owner vacations there), and got to hear about how it was built and started. The owner and manager are truly incredible people and the dinner we had with them was probably the best and most entertaining of our entire trip. We also got to stop off at the nearby school which was built by those same people - it is really a neat experience and I highly recommend it. It is also such an amazing testament to this place that they give back to the surrounding community. We only stayed for 2 nights here but wish we had stayed for 3. I really cannot say enough great things about this place. And if you want to see hippos, the best pictures I got of hippos were at this place!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear P.G

The staff and owners at the lodge are very pleased that enjoyed your stay at the lodge. It was our pleasure to host you and we are so pleased that your time with us was enjoyable. We are also delighted that the hippos were also well behaved - we definitely have them well trained!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I stayed at Islands of Siankaba for 3 nights at the end of July. My daughter (25) tried many times to get me to book something closer to the falls as we were doing all of our activities (2-3) a day at or near the falls (Siankaba is a solid 45 min. away). We were picked up at the airport and as the drive continued I was getting increasingly nervous that I had made a mistake. From the second we arrived I knew we had done the right thing. Not only is the setting breathtaking but our hosts, particularly Graeme, were exemplary. Our every need, and then some, was met by an incredible staff. I have travelled the world for over 30 years (and I never rave about anything..I'm hypercritical!) and this place, by far, exceeded every hope I had. Other hotels could certainly take a lesson. The food (I'm still dreaming about the yogurt parfait I had for breakfast) the staff, the setting...what can I say...if you are anywhere near this place absolutely make a reservation!! We had so many activities at the falls that they assigned us a lovely guide who stayed with us the entire day!! And when I mentioned that I forgot to download books on my nook and then were going on safari where there would be no hookup, they figured out a way for me to download my books in their office my last day!!! What can I say? Do not be swayed by their location somewhat far from the falls. Make this your destination. You won't be sorry. The only downside for me, is that every place from now on is going to pale by comparison.

Room Tip: All the rooms are outstanding! There's nothing like the sound of hippos to lull you to sleep!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Bazuka1.

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write up a great report - the staff at the lodge are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. This feedback really does make the effort worth it.

Lastly we do have to aplogize for making your future comparisons with other establishments difficult!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

So pleased that we made this choice. Where to start -- beautiful and quite a unique location. Not simply on the Zambezi, but this superb lodge is "in" the Zambezi -- at least on 2 islands as the name suggests, where the excellent chalets along with all facilities are located, whilst the boat trip from reception on the mainland round to the island jetty provided both a delightful & intriguing start to 3 memorable days.

To hear the regular calls of fish eagles prior to observing a pair in nearby trees, their cries mixing with the grunting evidence of hippos nearby, each being only a prelude to the evening river cruise, where pied kingfishers, open-billed storks, cormorants, Egyptian geese, swallows and crowned plovers were all spotted nearby. After an absorbing meeting with a pod of hippos close to the Zimbabwe side of the river, and nearby a pair of frolicking otters, there through the trees a group including water buck, bushbuck, zebra, and kudu paraded in perfect timing before the sun set whilst we began to anticipate another delightful meal in the restaurant overlooking the lagoon.

Islands of Siankaba offers so much and hopefully there will be a future opportunity to enjoy this special location and all that it offers. Could say more, but certainly sincere thanks to everyone.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I want to say that I had heard about Siankaba but the reality far exceeded my expectations. The place is a little heaven on earth. The Cabins are luxrious and well equipped with fantastic views across the Zambezi. The staff are attentive but not intrusive and the food is excellent.One morning from the balcony of the cabin we saw hippos in the water just oustide. the sunset cruises really added to the experience. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a quiet and romantic getaway or just some peace and relaxation.

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent. you won't be disappointed with any. they all front the river
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We enjoyed 4 nights at this island paradise on the Zambezi river. We were collected from Livingstone airport and taken or our 40 minute journey by Shadrack, our driver, who, we later found out, lives in the local village of Siankaba. The final part of the journey, about 15 minutes along a track just added to the magic and remoteness of the resort. The last part of the journey along part of the Zambezi just added to the excitement.
We were met by our hosts and following a refreshing drink taken along raised walkways and swinging bridges to our half tented cabins, of which there are only 7. The view was to die for, looking across the islands in the river. A daily trip known as 'Sundowners' was taken to Hippo Island where drinks and nibbles were consumed as the magical sunset happened. As the sun went down the hippos started to raise their heads from the river. Time for us to leave and return to Siankaba to prepare for the evening meal which was a communal affair, giving everyone the chance to meet new friends. The option was there for private dining if that was your preference.
The evening meal was followed by lazing around the fire chatting with anyone and everyone . During July the evenings were cool so it was a pleasant surprise , when retiring to bed, to find that electric blankets had been switched on , making the bed very cozy indeed.
Our days were spent with visits to Victoria Falls , the village walk with a local guide and a visit to the local Nursery School which is supported by the Lodge (Islands of Siankaba) and a UK based charity 'The U Foundation' . The children aged from 3 to 6 years were wonderful. They all wanted to speak to us and show us their school work. We timed our visit to be there at their break which was 10am so as not to disrupt their lessons too much. Malindi the young head teacher was very proud of his new school and along with the second teacher and her assistant seemed to be a very caring team.The children all wore their uniforms with pride.
We were there on a Sunday when there was a morning church service attended by most of the friendly, welcoming villagers. Some of the choir later sang for us prior to the evening meal.
This trip was magical. We were embraced by the village community about 40 of whom work at the Lodge. The Lodge is beyond words. Many others have described it far better than I can but the meals were first class. The chef created marvellous dishes and all the staff , the managers, hosts, waiters, boatmen, guides and cleaners were wonderful. The barman was Adorable. Honest, that was his name.
The trips were great. The whole time was brilliant .I think it's time to stop.
I hope there will be a next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jollyboatman976
Siankaba, Owner at Islands of Siankaba, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear Jollyboatman976.

We would like to thank you sincerely for a wonderful and heartfelt review about the lodge. We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and we sincerely looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Adorable will be on hand to ensure you are well taken care of!

The Siankaba Team.