All reviews short stay outdoor shower huts obama hostel wifi accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

I feel strange writing a review on Zinga, as despite paying ahead of my trip for a group of 30+ volunteers and confirming this a number of times, we arrived only to be told by the ‘manager’ there were no rooms in the hostel but there was in Zinga 2 and Zinga 3 which we’re located at different locations in Livingstone. At this point I should mention that the so-called ‘manager’ was extremely intoxicated so having a reasonable conversation was out of the questions. After a lot of waiting around for a straight answer he called a ‘bus’ which was just his relative with a car to drop some of the volunteers to a different location. They came back after a few minutes - it turned out they had just been driving to random hostels with the ‘manager’ begging the owners to give them rooms as he was clearly panicking over the mess he made. He tried to insist on driving even though he was extremely drunk and couldn’t even keep his eyes open. Eventually we asked him to just stop lying and admit he didn’t have rooms with us as he was still claiming to (zinga 2 and 3 don’t exist). We asked for a refund, only to be met with hysteria from him. We were basically left in Livingstone at midnight in dark with a large group trying to find accomodation on a bank holiday weekend. It was a complete mess and I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. The management is totally incompetent and I’m not even sure how they’re still going. We are still waiting for our refund.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2018

Staying at Zinga Backpackers was like staying with old friends. It was a very short stay, but I loved everything about this place from the decor to its layout, the quotes on the walls and my Obama hut which had an outdoor shower. The bed was very comfortable and talking a cold shower under the hot Zambian sun was very refreshing

Room tip: Get the village huts
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

We had a fantastic 2 nights at Zinga. It is a little walk out of town but it’s great!! The manager is the most friendly guy ever met. Everything you want is possible just ask for it. Would definitely go there again.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2017 via mobile

Really great staff. All staff were open and accomodating to me during my stay. The private room I booked was what appeared to be a very traditional hut and a nice change to the norm. Hostel is in a great location. It was a bit lacking in atmosphere during my stay as it was low on guests but all staff were working hard on the gardens and looking to be sprucing things up for the busier season ahead. All in all, lots of potential here. Also, great service in booking me onto last minute activities.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank NomadicNathan
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had booked two nights originally and ended up staying two extra nights.
The vibe and "decor" were my favourite aspect of this place. It all has a personal touch.
We had booked a dorm room, since we are backpackers on a budget, but one day they added 2x the amount of beds, turning them all into bunk beds. I think that was a terrible idea, the room is WAY too crowded and I don't even know how the person in the back could access their bed, nevertheless go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. And if it were at full capacity, there is ZERO space for your belongings.
The bunks had also been freshly painted, so when we went back in at the end of the day, the fumes were so so strong. Robbie (who was AMAZEBALLS) moved us to another room.
The staff were great. Very kind, went out of their way to help us. Robbie is a traveling soul, Martha has the heart of gold. She even took us to Church on Sunday and to meet her family.
We did make one mistake though that we'd like to share so others don't get stuck in the same situation- my friend and I had booked a night on their "booze cruise". When two of the other staff (taxi driver and another worker) had said they were going to come too, my friend and I started telling the other staff they should come too and it would be a big party! What we didn't know until we got into the cab to go on the cruise, was it was their understanding that my friend and I were to pay for them. We felt awful, but it was a miss communication. We didn't have the money to pay for them.
SO- just a warning, if you invite people to join you on an excursion, you will have to pay for them.

Date of stay: August 2017