“Railway Museum Livingstone”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Railway Museum Livingstone”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I grew up in Livingstone in the 1950's,the son of a Rhodesia Railways locomotive Driver,so was able to happily spend 4 hours wandering through,under and around the collection of old garratts and railway carriages - a great pity that they have limited resources to preserve the exhibits but the locals are absorbed in their work and were fascinated to hear about my Dad from 60 years ago.Sat in one of the carriages I was to re-live one of the many trips that we took from Livingstone to Cape Town.

If you have even the slightest interest in old locomotives then I urge you to visit the museum and share the enthusiasm of the local guides - I had them in stitches when I was able to tell them things that they weren't aware of.

Visited May 2013

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“If you're interested”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I went there by myself as my wife has other interests. There are some good exhibits including three Garrets and if you're interested in such stuff, make the effort to go. If you're not - don't. The entry fee was OK and running such a venue plus slowly restoring locos and rolling stock is damn hard work - I've done this in Adelaide in much more comfortable settings. Give them some support and make a donation. If it rusts away it's lost for ever - or stuff is pinched for scrap value. A jack from one of the Garretts was stolen the day before I visited. Very friendly staff

Visited February 2013
Pretoria, South Africa
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Wonderful potential”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

There is a wealth of railway history, slowly rotting away here. The place is undergoing refurbishment, but exhibits are in a very poor state, and entrance is rather expensive.

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Such wonderful attention”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Everyone told us not to bother with the Railway Museum, but everyone was wrong! Beautifully maintained trains, a carriage from the early years of the 20th century in fantastic condition. Examples of different staggers of track development. We were the only visitors (shame!) and we're taken around by the director and chatted to old railway men. We had a great time and the museum deserves more visitors.

Luton
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“For the enthusiast”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Railway Museum is about 20 minutes walk from the centre of town. I know it may sound obvious, but the museum is only worth visiting if you like trains - there is very little other than a load of engines rusting in the African sun.

For the enthusiast there are around 10 engines, ranging from a couple over 100 years old to some massive Beyer Garrets from the 1950s. None of them look like they will ever steam again (without a near 100% rebuild). At the moment most of them are bright an shiny, but this is skin deep - nothing more than a quick spray of paint.

Entrance to the museum is expensive (75 Kwacha - just under £10). For that I would like to see proper restoration and a more extensive exhibition. Hopefully this will come over the next few years!