“Great Experience”

33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Elephant Back Safari was an unforgettable experience. An hour ride was really more than enough, so don't be concerned with the duration. After about 45 minutes, I was getting a little saddle sore! We didn't actually go down into the water, as you may see in some of the pictures. We did stop by the water for the elephants to grab a drink and for photos. They were happy to use our cameras for pictures. One tip--if you have a DSLR, put it in Live View mode. They seem to be more accurate with the aim when they are looking at the screen rather than through the viewfinder. There was time to feed and interact with the elephants after the ride, which made for great photos. They made a video of the whole thing, which they show you at the end and offer for $22. It was really wonderful and surprisingly high quality, so I bought it. Unfortunately, when I got back to the US, I discovered that they had sold me a blank disk. I've been in e-mail communication with them, but so far, I've not gotten my video. If you get a DVD, be sure to try it out before you leave. The transfers to my hotel were handled smoothly. It is a very well-run operation. Some fellow travelers went to another elephant safari, and their experience and video was not nearly as good as ours.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank StraightTalk

Houston
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Experience, but Once is Enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

There were three of us and we truly enjoyed the experience. How many people have ever ridden on an elephant? Not many!

Being close to these gentle, majestic creatures was wonderful. First, you learn a lot about elephants and then you mount them. I didn't know my legs could stretch so far. I felt like a turkey wishbone on Thanksgiving Day! I did enjoy the adventure, but after ten minutes and a half dozen photos the trip gets a little boring. Young and old seemed glad to get off the beasts when we returned to the compound. Back on solid ground everyone seemed to walk funny for at least ten minutes until their hips relocated to their bodies!

I really did enjoy the opportunity and would recommend everyone try it when in Africa, but I wouldn't do it again. Once is sufficient. Elephants sure do poop a lot!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank RichinHouston
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Elephant shaped heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was by far the most amazing activity of my holiday! To get so close to these majestic creatures was more than worth the massive dent in my wallet. I won’t easily forget Madinda and his other elephant friends!

Visited April 2012
Canby, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Elephants to remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I booked the Elephant ride and Thorntree. We had a great adventure with these Elephants. They marched them in and we could not believe how close we were getting to the Elephants. Even petting ones trunk.
We mounted them and started off. Walking in line we saw some wildwife through the bush. And crossed the Zambezi river. Our Elephant was a mother and had her calf following us close behind.
The staff was very professional and friendly.
I would have given this review 5 start, but had one minor set back. At the start of our tour a young elephant in training backed up into the dominate female and set the herd astir. Through us guest. One lady fell in the panic. and one elephant destroyed a chair that we were sitting on. The staff quickly got the elephant back under control. Though we all were a little shaken up. It was a reminder the power of the animals.

Visited October 2012