AVANI Victoria Falls Resort
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
Ngoma Zanga Lodge(Livingstone)
1,882 results
All reviewszambezi sunvictoria fallssister hotelroyal livingstone next doorpool barfree entrybuffet dinnerhotel groundsshort walkmain restaurantwild animalsafrican queennational parklarge poolpool sidehotel guestsbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A delightful hotel where you stay in appartments in the hotel grounds. .Victoria Falls are a short walk from the grounds and you can visit as often as you choose. there is a comfrotable pool area and Zebra's and other wild life are often wandering in between the sun loungers adding to the taste of the environment you are in. At the rear of some of the appartments there is a large pool in which we saw 2 crocodiles, although there are warnings there is no fencing to stop the.m coming onto the lawn area at night, and although they are not too big we wondered where was mum!!! The appartments are maybe just a litttle tired but are spotless and spacious! The food in the hotel is again buffet style and is not the best we have had for sure but nevertheless very acceptable. We would not hesitate to reccommend this hotel, the staff being extremely friendly and hepful. Internet is available at a small cost.

Room Tip: if you are t all nervous of the animals ask for an appartment near the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the falls and boy, did it deliver! A five min walk to the falls and hotel stay includes admission to the falls. I went daily while here (for 3 days) and twice I woke early and arrived when the gates opened (at 06:00) and was richly rewarded with amazing rainbow shots for the first hour of sunlight (in March) and a quiet park (it's got busy in the later AM and afternoon, especially on weekends).
The hotel itself is fine, far from luxurious but comfortable and reasonably nice. It would be a solid 3-star in the US. I always felt safe. There's even a bank and ATM on the grounds where I could withdraw Kwatcha (for the nearby market and jewelry store) directly from my US bank account.
Service was variable - some employees were over the top helpful and friendly, but twice I was promised a call back but I never rec'd a call back from Guest Services. One of those times I called them and they acknowledged that they were supposed to call me back but continued with business as usual w/o even apologizing. Oh well, as I've heard more than once here "this is Africa". There are far more serious problems with the world than slow Guest Services desk.
The food was decidedly average; my included breakfast was standard southern Africa fare and pretty good, but dinner, while not cheap, was also not great. Presentation was nice but food quality was fair. Plus drinks were extra. And service was patchy.
Overall - I came for the falls, I saw the falls and I loved the falls; my memories of Zambia are the friendly people and the sights, I got over the hotel's shortcomings pretty quickly. Yes, I would stay here again, but just eat more meals out of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DaveOfBoston
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations in Sept 2012, booked via Virgin. Location is good - the Falls are within walking distance. Rooms are rustic, maybe a bit basic for the standard but perfectly serviceable. Similarly the buffet style food. We discovered we could help feed the giraffes and zebra in the mornings - it would have been a shame if we had missed out on this, so communication with guests could be better. We were delighted to be offered complimentary afternoon tea at the hotel next door (Royal Livingstone - short walk along the Zambezi) to celebrate our stay. This hotel is stunning! We also had an evening meal under the monkey puzzle tree, which was incredible. There is also a bar from where you can see the spray of the Falls. In retrospect our stay was perfect - relaxed atmosphere at the Zambezi Sun, with special visits to the Royal Livingstone where the vibe is a bit more formal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Zambezi Sun has the best location if you coming to see the Victoria Falls. You have free entrance to the park which the falls are in daily and it's a mere a 5 minute walk away. This was the reason I chose this hotel and I wasn't disappointed.
Personally I have always found Sun International hotels expensive for what you get, and this one is no exception. Things are expensive here for a boarder line 4 star resort, however, it's not every day you get to see a Zebra eating the well kept green grass right outside your bedroom window or have a monkey visit you at breakfast to try steal your bread role.

Rooms are small yet comfortable with the basics required for 4 star - Only thing that I was disappointed about was no flat screen TV, just a very small CRT.
The service was slow, with the exception of 1 or 2 staff that you could see wanted to make your stay special and tried their best to be fast and efficient.
There is a nice variety of food and the quality is good, although after 4 days everything started to taste very much the same to me (Which seems to be my experience at most of the resorts I have been to around the world).

in conclusion, I would recommend staying here purely for the location and the relaxed atmosphere. If you are wanting a bit more luxury and to be rather close to the Falls I'd suggest looking at the sister hotel next door, the Royal Livingstone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Location amazing!!! Victoria Falls experience - stunning word wonder - no question asked BUT...
Rooms do have all appliances required but everything looks raw. General impression is that it does not look for 4 star resort. I looks rather extended 3 stars. Prices however are UK-level. Dinner in local buffet was £30 plus drinks per person! It is better to go for local restaurant and eat a'la carte what will cut costs nearly by half. Preparation of cheeseburger with chips can take even 40-50 minutes!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple