“Great New Year Experience”

AVANI Victoria Falls Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Livingstone
Reviewed January 2, 2013

From the time we walked into the hotel until leaving 4 days later we enjoyed every minute. The food, hospitality & overhaul experience was great. There is so much activities on offer pity you can't fit it all in in 4 days & the New Year bash was worth it. The staff were very friendly just one slight complaint the service at the swimming pool pub was very slow, but that did not damper our spirits & we will definately be visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I arrived from mufwe to livingstone via Lusaka on proflight . I think bush track safari manages the transfers and activity centre as well at the hotel . This hotel is just behind the livingstone falls and it has all the facilities available . The staff is very cordial and they also repaired my shoe soul

The activity centre at the hotel gives the best thrills in Africa and every travel requirement can be done under one roof . The property also has a Barclays Bank .

As you enter the falls there is a curio market . Best thing to buy in Zambia is a copper braclet but be careful always ask the locals as what is the best price to buy . Best kept secret of this shop is you can barter by bringing your old clothes and shoes and in exchange you take curios . I was told after I bought the goods.

These shops have a lot to offer indeed and you spare sometime . They have very good wood carvings and copper bracelets . The way you negotiate is very important with them and it is not that they are bad people they are very nice indeed and they will add extra items in your bag .

Room Tip: Your room should be facing the falls , this hotel is within mosi ya tunya national park you may enco...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 11, 2012

In my opinion, "Mosi-oa Tunya" or the Victoria Falls is a must see and for that reason, they took advantage of it!

I made the big mistake of booking directly through the hotel (4 months before!) for 252 usd/night, but when checking out, I had to pay... 324 usd/night (the price of that day). I was shocked and said that I had the reservation print with me, showing the right amount (252!!! usd). SURPRISE: on the reservation there is all information of the booking, less a "minor detail": THE PRICE!!!!!!! Yes, my mistake was for not paying attention to all detail. I even tried to write them and, of course, absolutely nothing happened. "Obviously" the reservation was for "the frugal" price of 324 usd.

I have booked dozens (not to say hundreds) of times on the internet directly from the hotel or booking,com, agoda.com (in many countries, Africa included) etc, etc, but I HAVEN'T EVER ENCOUNTERED that problem!!!!

It is simply frustrating seeing that everything on such a poor country is soooooo expensive (and I am not from a rich country, which is Romania).

The evening buffet was mediocre and quite tasteless (yet expensive as everything there).

The hotel is lovely, very colonial, the location is outstanding and the encounter with all their birds and animals (zebras, monkeys, girraffes, impalas) was extraordinary!!!! They really do efforts to maintain it! As I said the staff: front desk, waiters, all of them, EXCEPT THE MANAGEMENT was alright. We have a saying (in aproximate translation): the fish becomes rotten from its.... head!

Too bad, for a nature wonder!!!

PS: Zambian people are great!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank PUFUS
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in November and had a fantastic time. The location within 5 minutes walk of the Victoria Falls is just superb. As the weather was hot it was great to go exploring early in the day and then lounge by the pool in the afternoon. The rooms were clean and more than adequate for our needs, with all toiletries and tea making facilities. The bar was available and had local flavour and there was local style music during each evening. We were on a package which included evening meal and the buffet was good basic food, which was just what my husband want as he hates fussy eating. There's bank and activity centre for booking trips on site. We flew over the Falls and went on elephant back safari and to Livingstone Island for brunch. Fantastic start to our African adventure

Room Tip: All are arranged within easy distance of all the amenities
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grannye
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed two nights in this hotel in August. The rooms were clean but size was small. Food was average. However, it was within 5 minute walking distance to Victoria Falls and we visited the Falls twice in our short stay. This hotel shared a common park with its sister hotel Royal Livingstone. We travelled around the park in segways. The Royal Livingstone side of the park was much more beautiful and we bumped into zebras, giraffes and Impalas. The verandah next to the Zambezi river overlooking the falls was amazing. I could fully appreciate the meaning of "serenity" while standing there watching sunset. Next time, I shall pay a premium to stay at the Royal Livingstone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank GOAL_Spring
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night and I wish I could've stayed longer. The decor is great and was very colorful with a 'resort' feel to it. There are lots of activities that can be planned including the Devil's pool trip which is a must! Other activities include a helicopter ride over Victoria waterfalls and whitewater rafting.
When we arrived they gave us welcome drinks and a cool towel. We were also greeted with Zulu dancers which was great to watch.
The adjacent hotel (The Royal Livingstone) is a poshier version and incredibly beautiful. Both hotels are run by the same management and have free shuttle buses to transport guests.

The only downside is that there are no elevators, so if you cannot climb stairs or are packing a heavy suitcase you might rethink your options.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nada80
Reviewed November 26, 2012

stayed at this hotel for 6 nights , the hotel was nice but if you are staying for more than 3 nights you would be better staying at the royal livingstone, the food at the zambesie was not very good if you are english i would describe it as tescos basic food. the rooms were clean and basic just somewhere to rest your head after doing all the activities, the staff were friendly, dont book your trips at reception though , the staff were not very profesional you would be trying to sort out the trips you would like to go on and then the phone woud ring and they would just ignore u and take the call no apologia nothing i found this quite rude when i was spending a lot of money on my trips

Room Tip: if you are staying for longer than 3 night stay at the posher hotel its more comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sezzy1138
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingstone
Royal Livingstone Victoria Falls Zambia Hotel by Anantara
#9 of 16 in Victoria Falls
Ilala Lodge
Ilala Lodge
#7 of 16 in Victoria Falls

Been to AVANI Victoria Falls Resort? Share your experiences!