“Very good lodging, recommended”

Chapa Classic Lodge
Chapa Classic Lodge
Duluth
“Very good lodging, recommended”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I travel to Livingstone three times a year and stay usually 5 or 6 nights each trip. I have stayed at the Chapa for over 40 nights combined by now. Two trips I have come with my wife and the rest with a colleague. The last time I was there was in November, 2012. I plan on a return trip next month.

The Chapa is not perfect but it is quite adequate, clean, and affordable. The rooms are kept clean and I have noticed the same cleaning woman all along - she does a nice job. I have had hot water for showers every time, only the water pressure has varied now and then. The rooms come with a large mirror which is nice and with shelves and closest space. Again, it is not luxury standards but more than adequate. The air conditioner has always worked. The room has always been comfortable. The staff has always been very friendly. Keep in mind this is Zambia so staff will be friendly but will not usually have a "take charge" posture.

The breakfast has improved in the past year. It will usually have cold cereal, juice, toast, eggs, baked beans, and a meat. However the serving of the food is not at all up to American standards. It all gets put out around 7 or 7:30 AM. The staff seems unaware of making sure there are enough plates, spoons, glasses. If something runs out it runs out. And the toast and eggs which you order are pretty slow coming. But again this is Zambia - all the restaurants take an unbelievable amount of time to prepare and serve food. It is what it is. It is adequate, but not what you are used to as far as efficiency.

The pool is a nice place to sit in the sun and relax. The grounds are nice and overall the place is quiet and secure. Internet is available and is free. Sometimes it is inconsistent in reception but again, this is Zambia and that tends to be true everywhere. The Chapa seems to be a busy place and I have noticed various groups staying and having meetings there.

In the evening, we have had several of our Livingstone colleagues come to the Chapa where we visit and go over materials. We use the breakfast dining area and the staff has been excellent at accommodating this. Last November, they had a large group staying and using the dining area too so the staff allowed us to use the meeting room for our evening visits. They were very helpful with this.

As for the owner, he has always been pleasant and professional. I have never had a problem so I cannot give an account how he resolves problems. Due to our frequent visits, he has been fair in negotiating with us.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the Chapa and intend to continue to stay during our Livingstone visits. There are nicer, more upscale places and they cost more. But for the price, the Chapa is reasonable, clean, safe, and adequate. I can easily recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank kzarkzar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I normally dont write reviews, and am generally a patient and easy going traveller, but the owner of this place really shocked us. I dont even know where to start so I will itimize the issues we had below. Keep in mind that we had a party of about 25 people.
1. Went to pick up room key but were told they were out of rooms. My brother (6 feet 4 inches) and I (6 feet 3 inches) ended up having to share a single room. When settling the bill we were charged for two rooms which the owner claims had been booked by us but not used! Asked him to show me the two empty rooms, hung up on me first, then called back and said they had been rented by someone else but we were still responsible for the charges. We ended up having to pay 600,000 Kwacha because he threatened to take the pay out of his employees pay, so we felt bad for the employees and just paid the man.
2. Employees are very pleasant and accomodating as much as they can but you can tell they live in perpetual fear of the owner so they couldnt do much. Breakfast was served cold (dry toast and eggs) on two occasions but the kitchen staff was too afraid to cook new meals because they would be responsible for the wasted food.
3. Rooms were decent, some rooms were missing remote controls for either the TV (our room) or the air conditioning unit (two other rooms in our party).
4. Showers have poor drainage so I would recommend wearing thick footware unless you want to possibly catch a water borne disease.

At the end of the day, if you stay here go with the mindset that you are doing it to provide jobs for the employees. Because otherwise, all the owner cares about is making money off of you and he will hold his own employees hostage to do so.

Room Tip: Make sure you are certain about your dates and number of days. They may indicate as such, but there...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank thekalambos

Travelers are raving about these Livingstone hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have just read the bad review of this lodge and I have to say that was not my experience at all. The rooms were large and spacious, spotlessly clean and well serviced. I had easy internet access at all times and had no problems with the TV. I found the staff very friendly and helpful and appreciated the beautiful secluded pool area in the hot Livingstone weather. I would go there again for a very comfortable and affordable stay, conveniently located near the centre of town.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank devasya
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I with my spouse came here on a business trip. we have stayed here for more than a week. When we were in other lodge, we came to know reg this hotel from colleague dat they are providing free internet and this was walkable distance to my work place. so as am from other country to save money, i opted this lodge. but I have never seen such worst services. Frankly there is not even one perfect thing in this lodge. There is no phone in any room (basic & king sized). we took king sized room, only TV is big but no channels will come properly, if complain they say that bill is not paid. Water will not come in washrooms, net will never come normally. Everytime we get a msg dat no access to internet. Even if it comes very poor connection. If we have to complain or get any food or drink order, we have to go all the way to reception, but again they may be available or not. so atleast twice we have to go reception. there response will be dead slow. U dont believe that i tried for 2 days to get my room cleaned, but I failed. Even after asking them several times no one has turned up. The room cleaning person also never cleans the room properly, i asked for lunch plates and u dont believe how dirty they were. I had literally counted days to get out of here. of course noone has forced me to bear all this but as this lodge is Iin walkable distance to my work I had to be here.
This lodge may only suit to people who will stay for 1 day who will just be in room for couple of hours and check out at the end of day. If any one comes here for long stay, they will get the answer. If some management will take care of all the issues then it may run for couple of years. I do not have any personal reasons to claim against this lodge but this is the place where my patience was tested in everything so posting my review though seem harsh.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business