Ways to Experience Devil's Pool
from $160.00
from $140.00
from $140.00
1,561 results
All reviews livingstone island short swim high tea victoria falls once in a lifetime royal livingstone hotel your feet delicious breakfast across the river wear water shoes boat ride dry season bucket list amazing experience on the rocks double rainbow low water season
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

From the Zimbabwe side, this looks insane. While you’re actually doing it, it feels mostly safe. However, you are on the edge of the falls and it was scary for me (thrilling for my husband). But, we both had a lot of fun. The guide took 300+ pictures, so we have some really good ones. Bring water shoes. They provide towels.

We went for afternoon tea. There was beer, wine, some liquor, fruit, beef and veggie sliders, chicken in a small pie shell, veggies in a small pie shell, brownies, scones and one other sweet. This could easily be an early dinner.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The devil's pool was a great activity. We, however, felt that the guides really rushed it, possibly due to demand and have made it more of a picture taking exercise than a fun activity.

Tips

Book in advance.

This activity is on the Zambian side. If you are coming from Zimbabwe ensure you have your passport and or visa if applicable and organise for transport to and from.

If you are doing the bungee jump you can combine it with activities on Livingstone Island as it is on the no man's land between Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the "Morning Breezer" (the very early morning group) on a brisk morning and are really glad we did. We nearly chickened out, mostly due to the temperature (which was in the 50s when we left Zimbabwe, but warmed to the mid 60s by the time we reached Livingstone Island). Thankfully, the water was at least as warm as the air temperature, and by the time you add some adrenalin, it isn't so bad. What no one tells you is that you have to swim to get to the rocks next to the pool, climb out onto the rocks, and then ease yourself into the Devil's Pool when it's your turn. We're not young (late 50s/early 60s) and were easily the oldest in our group, but the activity is not physically difficult if you can swim. Mentally? Well, that depends. It doesn't feel dangerous once you wrap your head around the fact that you are right next to the main cataract of Victoria Falls. There IS a guide with you at all times (and in your photos, except when you are laying down, in which case he has your ankles). I'd call this a MUST DO, but maybe consider later in the day, depending on the overnight lows. The one advantage of early, though, was that the wind hadn't kicked up the dust haze yet, so we had crystal clear skies for our pics.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The entire morning trip to Livingstone Island was enjoyable. (I chose the morning trip because why not).

You start off with a boat ride to the island down the river a bit. It's lovely watching the water with the morning sun.

When you get to the island, you're greeted with a little refreshing drink and shown the few buildings that are set up on the island - a changing room, a loo with a view, a dining hut, kitchen, etc. There isn't much and most of it is together in a single area. That's because during the high water season, most of the island gets covered up!!!

Guests are asked to dispose of unnecessary items and put them into a lockbox.
FYI, if this is your first time, this means any extraneous clothes and backpacks, etc. Bring with you a robe or towel (though these were provided). Also keep your camera (a guide will take this from you and take millions of photos of your folly). Also shoes. If you've got sturdy TEVA type sandals or even tennis shoes/trainers that you don't mind getting wet, then wear them. Also make sure that these shoes can be secured to your feet otherwise you will lose them over the falls during your swim.

Eventually you'll get to a photo op spot. Followed by a spot where you can take off your clothes, shoes, etc. Again, if you've got those water shoes, leave them on. Rocks in the river are slippery and hard and having some foot protection is a good thing.

The water is brisk. You will feel awake and refreshed. You may even feel cold after a bit. I mostly noticed it when we were holding still in the pool waiting for others to finish off their photo op while hanging off the ledge.
After you make your way back, there's a quick walk to a plaque of livingstone on the island and then to breakfast. It was a nice breakfast. You can get changed into dry clothes now or just deal with it.

The whole operation is run by Tongabezi (the very nice looking hotel/resort on the river). I don't know about the hotel, but the staff here are awesome. The one complaint I have about the entire experience is our guide that swam across the river and into the pool was not in a good mood. Every single image I have with him looks like he'd rather be somewhere else - and he's pretty much in every single image. Oh well.

Some things to note: if you want to be aware of everything, look at a map and check out where Livingstone Island is in relationship to the falls. Look for a photo of devil's pool from the Zimbabwe side. For some reason, I didn't realize the island was SMACK in the MIDDLE of the heavy water flow - that's why it's closed during high water season. DUH!
I also didn't realize how small and precarious that pool location is until I toured the Zimbabwe side. Just WOW.

A great operation and I would recommend this tour to anyone!

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank kumimonster
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife & I love adventure and the trip to Livingstone Island & Devils Pool was definitely an adventure. It is not for the faint of heart! The boat ride to the island was relaxing & beautiful with plenty of photo opportunities. After we got to the island, we informed that the Zambezi River was too high for the wade over to Devils Pool from the island, but that we would be treated to an experience just as exhilarating as Devils Pool. We proceeded to hike to the end of the island right at the edge of the falls where we were taken one at a time into the water and just a few feet from the very edge for photo opportunities. Our guides put us in the water just a few feet from going over the edge to our death. It was scary but my wife & I both felt very safe & it was definitely exhilarating! We will treasure the experience & the photos for the rest of our lives....definitely a once in a lifetime experience! After the edge of the falls experience they treated us to breakfast right there on the island.

Date of experience: April 2019