“Just love this Lodge”
Review of Shackletons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingstone
Shackletons
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's now my third visit to this very special Tiger fishing lodge on the upper Zambezi. Howard Shackleton can be proud of the operation that he heads up there. The staff are always so sincere and really find no task too difficult. The rooms are spotless and housekeeping is top notch. Attention to detail is what really impresses me with this lodge, from the ethnic cultural to the semi colonial touches... A special mix for a truly enjoyable tiger trip. The lady in your life will feel most comfortable here as bed linen is of the highest quality and all comforts are provided. The meals are always scrumptious and a pleasure to enjoy on finely laid tables with attentative service to compliment the experience. On the Fishing side, Shackletons also shines (I only fly fish which is demanding on boat and the guide) yet they are super at what they do and always get you onto some fish! It was with sadness that I learnt of Crispin's illness as he was a really special guide there. I do hope he will be able to return to the Shackletons team soon. So all in all a great place to visit for your next Tiger fishing trip on the Zambezi !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Andre J

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Firstly, I must say that the staff and management go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Good food, decent accommodation. I am writing this review more about the tiger fishing. To be honest, we were disappointed, we hoped for good spin fishing and maybe some decent fly fishing. We timed the trip so that we were in the "prime spin and fly fishing" season (June to September). From day one we realised that 95% of our fishing would be trolling lures, catching between 0 and 3 fish per session. At times we were bored stiff trolling up and down the same stretch of river. The locals have nets all along the banks and I think this has had a very significant (negative) effect on the fishing. You do have a chance at the odd big fish. Caught one fish of 6,9 kg (15lb) nothing else larger than 3,2 kg (about 10 fish in total between 3 of us) over 4 days - difficult fishing (weather conditions were perfect).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Darryl C
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The staff at Shackleton's went out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay for my partner and I. The food was superb, the location exceptional, and the memories will last a lifetime. The lodge is perfect for a fishing trip and a relaxing getaway. I enjoyed the pool, sleeping under the trees, the superb food every evening, and the guided fishing outings.

Being in a far-flung corner of Livingstone the electricity comes via generator, so it isn't on the whole day, but that is part of the charm.

One thing I'd like to do if I get back to Shackleton's is to go out to some of the surrounding villages and meet more of the locals.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daveandpolly
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Spend 3 days in a little paradise. The food was excellent and the staff so friendly.
Fishing was good and Remy our guide was so good with his experience.
I definitely will recommend Shackleton .
This was my first experience in fly fishing and what a place to practice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Philippe T
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Patrick and I joined friends for 5 days at Shackleton's Lodge. We are both keen fly fisherman but this was our first Tiger fishing experience. We were not sure what to expect so that anticipation was part of the magic. The trip far exceeded anything we could have hoped for. We were so lucky with the weather - it could not have been more perfect, 5 days of sun and no wind. And then the fishing.......... I am being absolutely honest when I say I would have been happy to have had a couple of days on the Zambezi and caught some Tiger fish. I had no idea how much fun it would be and was up before dawn everyday (and this from a girl who doesn't do dawns.....). The mighty Zambezi River - the abundant birdlife, the Fish Eagles, the mocorro fishermen and 150 elephants were fabulous.
We loved the Lodge - the setting is so perfect with the right balance of real comfort and attention to detail but still chilled and relaxed. The staff are friendly and efficient and immediately made us feel very welcome. We loved the food, ate too much high tea and really appreciated the hot water bottles for the cold nights and the always hot showers. We were extremely comfortable in our room.The boats are perfectly set up for fly fishing with competent enthusiastic skippers who guided us well. Chris, the manager, was always attentive and available - I loved the way he saw us off on each trip and welcomed us back and was really interested to hear our fishing stories and experiences of the day. I never thought I would be so captured by the beauty of the Mighty Zambezi and the fun and challenge of Tiger fishing. For us to catch so many magnificient Tigers ( and one Pink Happy) - on flies I have tied myself - what a privilege. Haydn Willans, our fishing guide for the group was a huge bonus - such an inspiring person to spend the day with and a very generous teacher. The average size of Tiger we caught was 6 lbs + with my biggest a13lb 11oz beauty and Patrick caught a 14 pounder. The evenings around the fire swopping stories with our friends were memorable. After such long days it was easy to "beat the generator" with all welcoming our comfy warm beds, especially me, to ease my aching casting arm,,,,,, I can without reservation recommend Shackletons Lodge as a destination both beautiful and rewarding.
Bridget D.

Room Tip: Couples might like to request the rooms with double beds
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bestmob
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I had the priviledge of spending 3 amazing days at this truly beautiful lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi river. Howard collected us from the Kazangula ferry border post and our trip to his lodge was full of interresting conversation. On arrival we were greeted with big smiles from friendly staff, cold towels and drinks! I was introduced to Crispin (my fly fishing guide) and met other members of their wonderful staff. The Room was tastefully decorated and with such comfortable beds and rich linen coverings etc. Loved the hot water donkey which ensured a constant supply - very nice decor and small touches which we really loved. The food was awesome and served with pride by such humble yet proud staff ! Everything was just brilliant. Now about the Tiger fishing ... I am an avid fly fisher and was looking forward to my first shot at Tiger on fly rod. Well, nothing could have prepared me for the experience that was to follow. Your guide and staff just make this such a smooth activity. On my first outing I was directed straight to some serious fishing by my guide Crispin. I caught a number of tigers and then was rewarded by landing a massive 8kg Tiger on my 9wt Orvis fly rod. The remainder of our stay there was absolutely wonderful. If you are considering a visit to a Zambezi Lodge, then dont hesitate to book at Shackletons. You wont beleive how superb it is until you vist them !

Room Tip: All rooms face the Zambezi river
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andre J
Reviewed April 12, 2012

" wow, wow, wow another great experience at Shakelton's Lodge. i spent the past week up at Shakelton's lodge for the 3rd time and yet again they never disappoint. i work in the hospitality & leisure industry myself and the key to great success is consistant delivery on the experience.
Having been to Shakelton's again they still consistently deliver, its one thing visiting a place with the right "hardware" but another delivering on the service and experience. The staff at Shakelton's really make you feel at home, besides great scenery, fishing and food its the whole experience that makes me want to go back as often as possible.

I would sincerely recommend this Tiger fishing lodge to anyone looking for great fishing, service, luxury bush accommodation & a experience thats unforgettable.

Thank you to the Shakeltons team for a great fishing holiday with the boys!

Kind Regards