“Outstanding Tiger fishing on the mighty Zambezi”
Review of Shackletons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingstone
Shackletons
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Patrick and I joined friends for 5 days at Shackleton's Lodge. We are both keen fly fisherman but this was our first Tiger fishing experience. We were not sure what to expect so that anticipation was part of the magic. The trip far exceeded anything we could have hoped for. We were so lucky with the weather - it could not have been more perfect, 5 days of sun and no wind. And then the fishing.......... I am being absolutely honest when I say I would have been happy to have had a couple of days on the Zambezi and caught some Tiger fish. I had no idea how much fun it would be and was up before dawn everyday (and this from a girl who doesn't do dawns.....). The mighty Zambezi River - the abundant birdlife, the Fish Eagles, the mocorro fishermen and 150 elephants were fabulous.
We loved the Lodge - the setting is so perfect with the right balance of real comfort and attention to detail but still chilled and relaxed. The staff are friendly and efficient and immediately made us feel very welcome. We loved the food, ate too much high tea and really appreciated the hot water bottles for the cold nights and the always hot showers. We were extremely comfortable in our room.The boats are perfectly set up for fly fishing with competent enthusiastic skippers who guided us well. Chris, the manager, was always attentive and available - I loved the way he saw us off on each trip and welcomed us back and was really interested to hear our fishing stories and experiences of the day. I never thought I would be so captured by the beauty of the Mighty Zambezi and the fun and challenge of Tiger fishing. For us to catch so many magnificient Tigers ( and one Pink Happy) - on flies I have tied myself - what a privilege. Haydn Willans, our fishing guide for the group was a huge bonus - such an inspiring person to spend the day with and a very generous teacher. The average size of Tiger we caught was 6 lbs + with my biggest a13lb 11oz beauty and Patrick caught a 14 pounder. The evenings around the fire swopping stories with our friends were memorable. After such long days it was easy to "beat the generator" with all welcoming our comfy warm beds, especially me, to ease my aching casting arm,,,,,, I can without reservation recommend Shackletons Lodge as a destination both beautiful and rewarding.
Bridget D.

Room Tip: Couples might like to request the rooms with double beds
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bestmob

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I had the priviledge of spending 3 amazing days at this truly beautiful lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi river. Howard collected us from the Kazangula ferry border post and our trip to his lodge was full of interresting conversation. On arrival we were greeted with big smiles from friendly staff, cold towels and drinks! I was introduced to Crispin (my fly fishing guide) and met other members of their wonderful staff. The Room was tastefully decorated and with such comfortable beds and rich linen coverings etc. Loved the hot water donkey which ensured a constant supply - very nice decor and small touches which we really loved. The food was awesome and served with pride by such humble yet proud staff ! Everything was just brilliant. Now about the Tiger fishing ... I am an avid fly fisher and was looking forward to my first shot at Tiger on fly rod. Well, nothing could have prepared me for the experience that was to follow. Your guide and staff just make this such a smooth activity. On my first outing I was directed straight to some serious fishing by my guide Crispin. I caught a number of tigers and then was rewarded by landing a massive 8kg Tiger on my 9wt Orvis fly rod. The remainder of our stay there was absolutely wonderful. If you are considering a visit to a Zambezi Lodge, then dont hesitate to book at Shackletons. You wont beleive how superb it is until you vist them !

Room Tip: All rooms face the Zambezi river
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andre J
Reviewed April 12, 2012

" wow, wow, wow another great experience at Shakelton's Lodge. i spent the past week up at Shakelton's lodge for the 3rd time and yet again they never disappoint. i work in the hospitality & leisure industry myself and the key to great success is consistant delivery on the experience.
Having been to Shakelton's again they still consistently deliver, its one thing visiting a place with the right "hardware" but another delivering on the service and experience. The staff at Shakelton's really make you feel at home, besides great scenery, fishing and food its the whole experience that makes me want to go back as often as possible.

I would sincerely recommend this Tiger fishing lodge to anyone looking for great fishing, service, luxury bush accommodation & a experience thats unforgettable.

Thank you to the Shakeltons team for a great fishing holiday with the boys!

Kind Regards
Chris Bentley

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have been lucky enough to stay at Shackletons 3 times in the last 10 months and every time we have left smiling. Excellent food, friendly and helpful staff and attention to detail is spot on.

We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DebbieDex
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and i were truly blessed to have 5 full tigerfishing days at Shackletons recently.On arrival you are greeted by your hosts Howard and Cherie along with an ice cold towel and refreshments. Luggage disappears to your chalet and the pampering begins! Your every want is catered to from first light until bedtime, delivered by a staff who are not only friendly but genuinely interested in looking after you. When you consider your location (in the bush!) miles from 'civilization' the cuisine amazes you - wonderful home cooking with all the trimmings- truly amazing.
i am ashamed to admit that after five days of fishing and seven serious tigerfish on the scoresheet i have yet to bait my own hook! My fishing guide did everything, he wouldn't let me do a thing! My wife caught her first fish ever, a tiger of 5,1 kgs so she is a convert! We will definitely go back to Shackletons, Howard and Cherie are wonderful, its like being with family, only next time i will take my fishing mates with me - something that good just has to be shared!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Roy F
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Reading the reviews of my friends below, Neil and Chris ( Team Westophertjies ) as well as Ian (DaktariSouthAfrica), there is not much more to be said except that they hit the nail on the head. What a superb experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank WLColeman
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Shackletons offers comfortable, even luxurious, I suppose, accommodation. Food and service is excellent! The river guides are experienced and friendly ..... and the fishing is great! I spend 10 days there over Christmas and New Year 2011 and can assure anyone this is one of the greatest experiences you can get! One problem.....my wife, who hated fishing, is now completely hooked on Tiger!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends