“Great resort but no beach (to speak of)”
Review of Full Moon Beach

Full Moon Beach
Ranked #44 of 128 Hotels in Phan Thiet
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days at the end of our month Vietnam and had a great relaxed time. Very friendly staff, good breakfast, clean (but dark) room, nice pool and beautiful garden. The menu in the restaurant is small but good food.
Great for (kite)surfing, which many people (mostly men) did. The beach just in front of this resort is gone with high tide and very small at low, but I did not mind. Further to either east or west are somewhat broader beaches.
Reception of Wifi was bad in the room, especially in the evening, but ok in restaurant area.
Bath in room looked great, but not enough hot water to fill and enjoy it. Bed a bit hard, but that seems to be the Vietnamese way...

Room Tip: The bungalows at the seafront look best. We had one overlooking the pool and garden, also nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R_Winkels

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed 3 nights with newly wed son and his wife. Loved it. Didn't like the sea - too rough but the pool was fantastic - right outside our door. Included breakfast was a great start to each day. We ate there for some other meals as well. Had a problem with the air con which was immediately fixed. Sounds like some other reviewers stayed there at an unfortunate time as we had no complaints about the state of the beach or anything else of any consequence. The shower didn't hang up but so what - adapt to it. Not being able to communicate with the rest of the world via wifi for a few days might be an inconvenience to some but surely isn't the end of the world!! Get a life for goodness sake - you're at a beach resort so lie back and enjoy it!! Would go again at the drop of a hat but it is a rather long bus ride form Ho Chi Minh.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank CountryKiwis
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We were travelling across Vietnam for 15 days, have seen many beautiful places. Usually we haven’t chosen low budget hotels and usually we were satisfied. But there were only two so fantastic places with great location and friendly stuff and management: the first was Viethause Lodge in Ha Long Bay, the second Full Moon Beach.
The location is unbelievable with green palms, with sand and directly by a beach. We wanted to book sea-front room but as we tried to do it just one day before planned date of arrival we didn’t succeed. But our garden-view room was great as well. And it was enough to pass the doors to be nearly right on the beach. In the middle of garden- really nice salt-water swimming pool.
The beach like in a “Bounty” chocolate bars advertisement. Really no concrete, bricks, trash etc. (maybe something has changed since other reviews had been written but reading some of them we’ve got an impression we were in different places).
Wonderful, nice Vietnamese stuff and professional but extremely friendly European manager (Hi Renata-it was really nice to meet you).
To make the long story short- we wanted to stay there for one day and leaved after three (only because we had an airplane booked in Saigon).
Ewa and Daniel

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank danielgorecki
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We travelled here in low season and booked two rooms between us (two single parents and three young kids).
We couldn't believe our luck when we arrived here and saw the lovely gardens, pool and restaurant area. They are a tropical paradise. The rooms were very clean, with lovely white linen and mosquito nets. The bathrooms were very stylish. The pool was a real treat. Saltwater and huge, with lovely tropical plantings surrounding it. the garden rooms overlooking the pool are perfect for parents who need to keep an eye on kids while relaxing on their verandah. The staff were attentive without being intrusive. Breakfasts were huge and sumptuous. The restaurant was not the best value or the best menu on the strip, but was still reasonably priced, so we often ate in. Conveniently, you can also dine at the Jibes Restaurant a few doors up and charge it to your bill. Its more expensive, but if you're in the mood for pizza and pasta, it's worth a trip. The happy hour cocktails are great value at Jibes too.
The fresh fruit and thermos of hot water with tea and coffee sachets every day was a nice touch. the best thing though was the birthday cake the staff bought out for my daughter for her fifth birthday. They even had her name written on it. She was absolutely thrilled.
The only drawbacks of this resort was the patchy wifi. We ended up hanging on my sister's verandah, which seemed to have the best reception. We couldn't get it inside our room at all, and it was intermittent on my verandah.
Also, the beach is spectacular when the kite surfers are out, but it's nothing much for swimming. It's quite rough and windy and churned up, and I'm sure three were sea lice. We stuck with the pool. (My Khe / China Beach is much nicer for swimming).
The steps down to the beach were being repaired when we were there, but it didn't get in our way at all. The beach disappears at high tide, although there's a reasonable stretch at low tide.
Overall, we were really happy with our choice and would consider going back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kuleblue
Reviewed July 22, 2011

..... quiet, cheap, wonderful breakfast, the beach basically to ourselves, good restaurants nearby, a very relax place, perfect to finish a backpacking trip in the country....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank raphgui
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed at Full moon beach hotel in Mui ne on the way up north in Vietnam. We were planning to spend only 2 nights but ended up staying 4. The hotel by itself is a 3 star i believe. Rooms are clean and service friendly. There is security present at all times.

The hotel overall is very charming and has great atmosphere. It's not a luxury place but that's ot why we decided to stay. We felt that this place was just different, not a typical mass turist beach resort. We loved it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2011

First of all: I am not a complainer! I usually shut up rather than making a big fuss about minor annoyances. But in some cases you really have to say something, and this is the case here.

I am travelling since ten month now on a low budget. Usually I sleep in hostels or guest houses and pay around 15 US$ per night. Quite often I was surprised how much you can get for that. But after such a long time of travelling I thought I could treat myself to a really nice beach resort in Vietnam. I was stupid enough to follow a Lonely Planet recommendation again (I have no idea what the LP authors are smoking, but I've been in such crappy places with LP, while much better and cheaper places were right next door, I won't buy these guides anymore!), so I ended up at the Full Moon BEach resort in Mui Ne (according to LP Mui Ne is supposed to be No. 1 beach destination in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the greater Mekong area. I have absolutely no idea, why this is supposed to be. It's not a bad place, but with all good will it is an average destination at best).

Anyway, if I book a hotel where the rooms cost four or five times the money I usually spend for a night, I actually expect four or five times the service, amenities and comfort. I was wrong.

But let's be fair and start with the positive aspects: my room was really nice and clean, the big pool is fantastic, the breakfast is good, most of the staff are friendly.

Now to the less appealing facts:

First of all, even if this is implied by some of the pictures on the web: THERE IS NO BEACH RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL like it is the case for most of the other beach resorts in that area. There's just a crumbling stretch of concrete and brick which was supposed to be a staircase down to the sea. This thing is downright ugly and even appears to be dangerous. There is certainly a beach just round the corner, you just have to climb down that concrete thing, if you dare, and go to the right. The water right in front of the hotel is a mess with bricks and sand filled plastic bags, some of them torn open and swimming in the sea. So if you think you could just hop from your room or your beach bed into the sea and then back... this is not the case.

During my stay, there was a huge excavator working right in front of the beach beds and the restaurant, every day. Not only that, but certainly as well men with shovels and wheelbarrows, a concrete mixer and flood lights to work until late at night. Hammering noises close to my room woke me up at eight in the morning. What a nice and cozy experience in a not so cheap beach resort. They were probably starting to fix the ugly beachfront. Don't get me wrong: I know that things like that have to be done, and that off season is the time to do it. But who on earth would have booked a room in that place if the front desk would have been honest about the construction works? Well, they weren't when I called and requested a room. There was also no compensation, no explanation, no "sorry", no nothing. Did I mention that this place was not a budget location? I wouldn't even have payed 10 bucks for that place if i knew about the construction works!

The internet worked so sporadically that you should not rely on it. When asking about the web problems, a french woman (who was probably working in the management of the hotel) seriously tried to convince me, that this was my fault and that I had the wrong wifi-setting on my netbook (which worked perfectly fine in literally the rest of the world). Then she said that it was the sevice provider's fault and that there are always problems in that area (I never had any problems in a bunch of cheap nearby restaurants). She didn't do anything to solve the problem, she didn't even say sorry for that, she just wanted to be right. She just could not admit that the hotel's computer equipment did not work properly. But as I said before, the rest of the staff were pretty friendly.

Look, I know that things like this happen, and I would never complain if wifi breaks down in a 10$ hostel. I am certainly a little less forgiving if this happens in a more expensive hotel. But if the management of this expensive hotel tells me that I am too stupid to get my wifi going, sorry, that does it.

There were a lot of other minor annoyances which I usually would never complain about, but should not happen in that price range, and thus contribute to the full picture. For example the beach beds looked pretty battered, the toilet flushing did not work properly, and there was a nice bath tub in my room, but no shower (which might be a matter of taste, but I'm not the type to take a bath everytime I want to get clean).

In relation to my everyday budget, I spent quite a lot of money there, and I got construction noise and trouble in return. I would not recommend to go to that place within the next two or three months, until construction is done. And certainly not, if you want to have a real beach right in front of a "Beach Resort". But maybe you like to be told how wrong you are about everything by the management, then this is the place for you to go. ;)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo