Anantara Mui Ne Resort
White Sands Resort(Phan Thiet)
$54
$71
$45
$44
$158
$100
$82
$64
Bamboo Village Beach Resort & Spa(Phan Thiet)
$72
$95
Cham Villas(Phan Thiet)
$133
$130
$58
$49
Mia Resort Mui Ne(Phan Thiet)
$111
1,146 results
All reviewspool villathung restaurantmui neswim up barmain restaurantneck massagemain poolturn down servicefive star hotelhuge balconythe general managergreat pool areadeluxe roomkite surfingamazing hotelbeach restaurantspa treatments
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Anantara is arguably the best resort on the Mui Ne beach strip. However, I'm not quite sure it lives up to its 5 star rating.

The customer service ranges from fair to excellent. We got off to a rocky start with a our pre-booked transfer from the train station not turning up, followed by miscommunication about the charge for this - the manager told us she would credit US$100 for the inconvenience for us to spend at the resort, however, upon checkout we were told this actually referred to pre-authorisation of my credit card to that amount. Hmmmm. The staff acted as if they were doing us a favour by not charging us US$80 for the pre-booked transfer - which didn't show up!

Our deluxe room was very nice. The slate-covered bathroom with his-and-hers sinks was spacious, bed was very comfortable, and our balcony offered nice views of the lush garden.

The little touches set this place apart from others: neck massage and tea during check-in, complimentary Vietnamese coffee and fruit around the pool, lots of bottled water in rooms, and nightly turn-down room service with bite-sized desserts (although this seemed to cause an ant problem in our room).

In my mind, Anantara is missing two main things that would really provide the 'wow' factor expected of 5 star properties.

First, the food isn't great. There's a lack of variety on the menus (especially for vegetarians or people with dietary requirements). The food is of good quality, but it's quite expensive for what it is. Neighbouring resorts' menus offer many more options at fairer prices. The breakfast buffet was very good, although some of the hot items seemed to have been in the Bain Marie for too long and were stale or soggy.

Second, the resort lacks atmosphere. Maybe this is different during the high season...? In the evenings the bars and restaurants are basically deserted, yet happy hour is rather bizarrely held between 11am and lunch time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2014

we spent 10 days at the anantara over new year, and had a great holiday. There is a lot to like about the resort - the setting is beautiful, the location great, the rooms nice, the bathrooms fantastic, and the breakfast buffet very good (the baked goods are amazing). However, the service was patchy (the front desk was delightful, the pool staff grumpy and rude), the rooms did not have sufficient storage and were very dark - as were the grounds at night, dangerously so. The food by the pool was pretty ordinary and very expensive (except for the hot chips which were great, but still expensive!). Happy hour is at the bizarre time of 11am, and the pool bar is deserted in the afternoon, so it lacks some atmosphere. Every night there was live entertainment in the restaurant, often playing to a crowd of zero, which made the whole thing feel a bit sad.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank langkawi-lisa
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We spent a week at the Anantara Mui Ne in January 2014. We had stayed here 2 years ago and really enjoyed it so were excited to return. Unfortunately, it was not the same place it was 2 years ago.

First the good: We stayed in a 2 bedroom family villa with a pool, the exact same room we had last time. The room itself was in very good condition and has been well maintained. The villas have lovely outdoor ensuites which we really loved. My only complaint about the villas is that they are very dark. I needed to used a torch to find things in my suitcase! We had several treatments at the spa and they were all great and the staff there were friendly and well trained. The food and service in the beach front restaurant are fair, but the menu is limited and we were often the only ones in there, so not much atmosphere.

The not so good: The staff are all very friendly, but not properly trained. The service was patchy and we had to ask several times for drinks, menus, the bill, etc. We had someone else's room service and message delivered to our room. We had to take our own laundry to reception because we called for it to be collected and no-one came.

The bad: The food was really poor. On our first night we went to the seafood bbq buffet. The salads were ok. There were crumbed and fried prawns sitting in a bowl beside the salads. They were stone cold. I am not surprised to hear that another reviewer was sick after this buffet! There was seafood and other meats available for the bbq, but the chefs were cooking the meat on the same part of the bbq as the seafood, so the chicken and beef had a fishy taste. The casseroles and curries in the bain marie were horrible. The meat was poor quality and they had obviously been cooked well in advance. The breakfasts were ok if you were having fruit or the freshly cooked food such as eggs, pancakes, waffles, crepes. The bacon, sausages, baked beans, hash browns and other "hot" food was luke warm at best and had also been cooked quite some time before the breakfast service began at 6:30am. On our last day we arrived for breakfast shortly after 6:30am so I thought the food would be fresh and hot. I served myself some bacon, baked beans and a hash brown. All were completely cold. I pointed this out to the waiter and he took my plate away, only to return with the plate a few minutes later telling me he had heated it in the microwave! Perhaps they just serve up the left overs from the previous day's breakfast and heat them up. So I decided to just take a bread roll (the fruit, juice, milk, etc had not been brought out yet and it was 15 minutes into the breakfast service). The roll was stale. Again, probably left over from the previous day. Definitely not what you would expect from a 5 star resort. In fact, I've had far better at 3 star hotels. Very disappointing as the breakfasts on our last stay were wonderful. Also, the beach/pool towels are the same ones they were using 2 years ago. Now they are faded and thread bare. The hotel information booklet says that they don't allow guests to reserve sun lounges around the pool and on the beach, but this was common practice and if you don't follow suit, you'll miss out.

Most of the other guests are Russian and the hotel seems to only be interested in catering to them. The trip by car from Ho Chi Minh City took us a little over 5 hours each way, so it is an adventure to get there. The place is full of Russians and kite surfers. Most of the restaurants and shops have signage in Russian and play Russian music. The beach however, is lovely. It has a gentle surf break and is long and wide. There was quite a bit of rubbish on the beach (including a dead dog one day), which is a shame.

Anantara Mui Ne markets itself as a 5 star resort and charges 5 star prices. At more than USD $700 per night, we expected so much better. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MCzaiBeijing
GM-Anantara-Mui-Ne, General Manager at Anantara Mui Ne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear MCzaiBeijing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Whilst this is not the experience that we want for our guests, it is far from normal and well below what the vast majority of our guests do experience at this resort.

I was very grateful to have the opportunity to talk with you before you departed and to learn more of the detail you share above. We aim to provide a consistently excellent standard of service and I'm sorry to learn that during this peak period we were unable to meet this promise. We can only again offer our sincerest apologies and ask for your trust that we take this feedback positively and constructively and will work hard to improve.

Thank you again and best wishes for your future travels,

Mark Eletr

Reviewed January 14, 2014

It would seem my husband and I have different views to the majority of those who
have visited this hotel.
The lunch time menu was very limited and very hit and miss if the staff were
busy then it all fell apart.
Local Staff are very nice people.
I know we were there peak time over the New Year but I just found the whole
place lacking in atmosphere.
Not once did any management staff greet us or ask if our stay was ok.

We attended one of the Sea Food Buffet evenings- (will I never learn) all the food
was out for long periods of time.
And I was very ill for the next two days.
There is no atmosphere in the evening - the bar area is more like a serving station
for the restaurant.
We sat at it one evening and asked for 2 glasses of white wine - it took 10 minutes
for someone to come to and open a bottle and pour it.

The price of the New Years Eve Party was extortionate - Have paid less in central
London.
The rooms that face the road are so noisy from traffic - in Vietnam vehicles beep
horns continously and this goes on all night. Also music from bars to early morning.
I didnt have the strength to complain.
We actually left a day early which we had prepaid.
Was pleased to leave.
We were travelling for over one month in Vietnam and Thailand
and would say this was worst hotel we stayed in.
Stayed in 4/5 star entire trip.
Aanantara in Koh Samui is in another league.
Mui Ne in general is a small resort with a lot of Russians and kite schools.
Beaches are good - struggled a bit in restaurants - some menu's are only in Russian
and Vietnamese.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Deluxe facing the road.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gillianlevy296
GM-Anantara-Mui-Ne, General Manager at Anantara Mui Ne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear gillianlevy296

We are sorry to learn of your unfortunate illness during your stay, clearly this is not the experience that we want for our guests. It is unfortunate that we were not given the opportunity to properly investigate or to assist in any way. We find it very unusual that you would not bring this to our attention; in fact we have no record of any complaint whatsoever.

Its a fact that GE illnesses may be caused virus or bacteria from any meal, drink or simple hand to mouth contact within the past week and a simple search online will provide endless support of this statement. It is therefore unfair to make such a comment without fully understanding and considering the other possibilities.

We also note that you did not attend our New Year's Eve event, which was truly wonderful, and from those that did attend, we had fantastic feedback about the total experience and the value of what we charged.

We would always encourage our guests to immediately bring any concerns or complaints to our attention, and we would do our utmost to assist.

Best regards for your future travels,

Mark Eletr

Reviewed January 10, 2014

It is a little while ago that we were here (2 years) but I always felt bad that I didn't took the time to give a review on tripadvsor because this was the best stay I had in a resort ever. We had a sea view bungalow which was absolutely fantastic. Very luxurious, beautiful outdoor shower, nice big terrace with good lounge chairs and a beautiful view (very close) to the sea. The resort was very clean, the staff very friendly and the breakfast (included in the price) very nice. The food from the resort was expensive so we took our lucy there but went to town (just a short and very cheap taxi ride) for dinner. For us this was how a resort is supposed to be. Beautiful, quiet and with good service and food. We traveled with kids from 1,5 and 3 at the time. They had a kids club where my son was too small for but they entertained him for a short time (usually until he wanted to go to me) and my daughter loved it! So with small kids you have some time for your self to read a book or do whatever you want! Just loved and totally recommend it! Especially because the price was surprisingly low for everything you get here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family