“Best in Danang right now”

Furama Resort Danang
Ranked #22 of 294 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Overall a very good resort with a really good beach.
Rooms: Spacious baths with doorless step in showers and a window to the room. Thoughful amenities like beach slippers, robes and hats and umbrellas. Beds are ok. The old fashioned TVs are a bit small maybe need to change to larger flat screens.
Pools: 2 nice pools. The infinity pool is warm and has a nice ocean view. The lagoon pool is inland between buildings and is a bit chilly
Beach: Great wide beach with firm fine sand that's great for walking on. Clean water. Nice views of mountains in the distance.
Weather in early Feb - Comfortable air temperature but water bit cold and rough.
Food: The Cafe food is uninspired. The Italian restaurant is surprisingly up market with unusual menu items.
Spa & Gym: The Spa is a little old fashioned and the gym needs to be moved and upgraded. Its a bit of a hole in the basement.
Until the Hyatt and Meridien are ready this is the best large resort in Danang. The buildings aren't that stunning as it was built in the late 90s but the layout is very sensible and the ocean front setting is great.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

We also intend to remain as the best in DaNang and surrounds for along time into the future . Yes we are older but we are established and mature. What we lack in " newness" will be surpassed by our quality service and products.
There are many "old " hotels and resorts in Asia and around the World who continue to remain on the list of very top of the best Hotels and Resorts and continue to win awards , accolades and provide the very best in service and comfort. We are considered to be one of these resorts already and we will remain so .
Of course we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back to Fabulous Furama sometime soon .
As I have mentioned in a previous response we are now in the final stages of design for our new Cham Spa and have started replacing the older TV sets with new flat screen LCD's. Thanks for taking the time to let us have your comments on your stay with us .
DTM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,405)

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Obviously Furama is a bit old comparing with, say, resort next door (Lifestyle Resort) and the spa looks really not like any 5-star hotels, say, like the resort next door. But the staff is excellent!!! Friendly, not pretentious and speak good English! The Italian restaurant is a must-try in case you want to spend some money! Oh! Forget clubbing in the resort though and the swimming pool is not heated.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Yes the Resort next door was opened only last year and yes we are older when compared . Furama resort is a well established resort with a very proud reputation for its very high levels of service , facilities and standards while newness is not always an assurance of high quality.
We are in the final stages of design for our new destination Spa and we are looking forward to the opening of this very important facility in the 3rd quarter of this year.
Very happy that you appreciated the quality of service we have to offer and more than happy that you enjoyed our Italian restaurant, Don Cipriani's , which now is being acclaimed as the best in Vietnam.
Yes the pool is not heated but we only have about 8 weeks of the year when the water is a bit on the cool side , but we have purchased a new solar pool blanket which will enable us to keep the pool temp about 6 to 9 degrees warmer in the cool winter months.
Thanks again for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back to Fabulous Furama sometime soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2011

We stayed at the Furama Resort during early February 2011. Although the hotel sets a good standard it will need to upgrade once the incoming 5* hotels to the area are completed. We found that the guest room (Ocean Suite) was quite dark inside with poor lighting. However the bathroom (and especailly shower) was excellent. Again the IndoChine cafe and bar were really nice buildings but were again let down by poor lighting. The hotel had quite a few empty function rooms, why not have the games room set up in one of these instead of access through a shop (limited opening hours)? As is the norm in Vietnam the staff were friendly and efficient. Te hotel is also close to the airport at Da Nang. China Beach is not much to speak of now, it is more of a building site.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thanks for your feed back --much appreciated .
We are constantly upgrading , redecorating and increasing facilities and services .We are also well aware of the up and coming increased competition and our intentions are not to just equal the quality of our competitors but to surpass them.
All the bedrooms have dimmer switches on the lamps etc , however we try to create a relaxing atmosphere in the restaurants and bars at night by the use of dime lighting and candles . Sorry if it was not bright enough for you .
Our function rooms are in constant use and it does not make sense to use them as a Kids Club.
Disagree with you about China Beach as it is still as beautiful as it always has been, clear blue water and soft white sand ---Really don't know if better can be expected . It is still one of the most beautiful beaches in S.E. Asia .
Thanks again for letting us have your comments and we hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fabulous Furama some time in the near future .

Reviewed February 4, 2011

Well we haven't left the hotel at time of writing but I have to say this is a very impressive hotel. We are living and working in China right now and we have stayed in a number of 5 star hotels in Asia but this one feels a little more special. Somehow it is more personal. Often these type of hotels feel sterile as the staff tend to go about their business in the way they know they should, rather than how they would like. Here people seem genuinily interested in helping the guests and it is very refreshing.

From the moment we arrived we were met with good service. The lady who checked us in explained that she had not understood that we were with 2 children and she had upgraded us from garden view to lagoon view but there were only 2 x 1.2M beds. So she suggested we could choose from Garden View with King bad or lagoon view with the 2 beds. While the king room was maybe a better room my wife wanted the lagoon view and so they offered to push the two beds together and pout a king matress on and then add an extra single bed (admittedly $45++ but included one breakfast). All this was fixed even though it was about 11:30pm.

Breakfast was as good as we expected for 5 star hotels (actually one of the main reasons we stay in 5 stars in Asia......anything less can result in unedible breakfasts for westerners) and the choice was more than plenty. Something for everyone so nothing to complain about here.

Our stay included 2 spa treatments which we used. I took the Vietnamese massage and this was good quality and relaxing. Also nice to take a sauna afterwards. My wife took the facial but she experienced this as a little medioucre. The prices are similiar to a normal place in China (Suzhou) which for a 5 star hotel is more than acceptable (often these can be outrageously overpriced). That said I had a 30 minute back massage for $5 just outside the hotel....somewhat dubious place but turned out fine. A good firm massage with tiger balm oil (or something similiar and strong smelling), hot stones and a girl walking all over me. Well worth the money if you are not afraid to venture into the "real Vietnam". Obviously not as "posh" as the hotel though.

We used the shuttle bus to Hoi An a couple of times adn enjoyed this place a lot. Can really recomend the food at Brothers cafe if you want some fantastic Vietnamese food......but be warned, it is expensive!! The markets are fantastic to see the real Vietnamese. Boat trip was not anything to recomend though.

The biggest mistake was not understanding that our escape from Chinese New Year would just bring us to Tet (The celebration of the lunar new year......more or less the same thing as in China in other words). That was ourt fault, but even though nearly everywhere was closed, the hotel took care of us. On the New Year eve one of the ladies working in the bar (Ruby I think she said her name was.....or something like that) was very kind and friendly, introducing herself and wanted to know where we were from. It is these personal touches that really make a difference.....she seemed genuinly interessted to talk with us. I actually felt sorry for her as she had to work untill 10pm and then next day she had to work early....although she assured us that she would have time to celebrate Tet with her parents and sister before the next shift. Still at almost 10pm the next day she was still working!!! A long day for her but she was still composed and did not apear tired.

Also on the morning of the New Year the staff had put on a show with dancing dragons(?) and drummers etc. All very entertaining, especially for the children. There was a chance to taste some the Tet food and drink tea and the children all received a red envelope with some money in (a tradition at Tet). This really adds to the experience and again shows the good service.

The resteraunts were all good although mainly western style food. I would have liked to have some more Vietnamese style dishes or maybe a resteraunt specialising in this. Instead there was an italien resteraunt which I have to say was very good. Prices were a little on the high side but I have been in other 5 star hotels where they really are on the silly side. I can say that the prices certainly should not be higher than they already are and then most people can accept this. The happy hour in the bar was a good way of getting the price of the drinks (almost) down to a normal Asian level and many guests seemed to take advantage of this. Only 2 minor problems. The deal was buy one get one free between 18:00 and 19:00. The problem is that the free one could not be something else of the same or less value but had to be the same again (if I understood correctly but if I misunderstood this then I apologise to the hotel). Secondly, the happy hour was really only a happy "hour". But these are minor points.

Finally I would just like to mention that my wife had her birthday whilst here and the staff had figured this out, from, I guess, her passport. So after coming home from a birthday meal in the resteraunt we all got a very nice surprise to find birthday cake and a card from the staff. We really had not expected this and it took a little time to figure out how they even knew;-) All in all a perfect finsh to a nice birthday for her....and again it is those little touches which makes it all more personal.

The only area which could be improved a little is the service at the pool area. I don't know why but for some reason service is not at the same level here.......although it is not so bad that it is poor. the main concern was perhaps the slow service I guess.....and a couple of times having to repeat my requests. But really nothing serious.

Shame the sea was too rough to swim in and in the first part of the holiday that the weather was cold. But nothing about the hotel other than there is not a lot to do if it is bad weather.

Looking forward to a few more warmer days before travelling back to a much colder Shanghai.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2011

Great to get your feedback and thanks for all the comments .
You have " told it as you see it "and I thank you for that .
It is indeed pleasing to get such positive comments and in particular comments about how good the Team are in trying to make guests feel at home and give that extra personnel touch. All the Team will be very happy about what you have said about them .
You are correct , and we are aware that the service around the pool and beach needs improving and we are in process of putting it right .
There is not much else that I can say than that we are all in gratitude for your kind words and we are all happy that we have been able to provide you with a great holiday .
I have a funny feeling that on your next stay with us , some of the staff will even suprise you some more and make your stay an even more enjoyable experience than your last one .
Hope to see you , your wife and your two lovely daughters again soon .
Cam on

Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I spent five nights at the Furama late December last year (23/12/10 to 28/12/10) and had not one complaint about the resort. In fact we are planning to be back this Christmas for a longer stay.
The resort staff is very well trained, very polite and courteous; most of them can communicate well in English. Some other staff members may lack the fluency in foreign languages but they largely make up for it with their prompt response to any request and their willingness to please the customers.
As for the breakfast buffet, there was so much yummy and fresh food on display, I had to almost “restrain” myself so as not to overindulge.
It was warm and sunny for the first two days of our stay, and we had a great time swimming in the ocean (at the back of the resort). We also noted the beach was very clean and well-looked after. However it became cool until the day we left; the beach was closed due to choppy sea and strong waves but surely, one can not hold the resort responsible for the weather!!! The pools at the resort are very well maintained and pool staff are always around to attend to any request.
It would be very hard to find a resort with the same calibre of service and quality anywhere else in the world unless one’s willing to pay “bucketloads”. We have been travelling a fair bit (Asia, Europe and America) and have had our fair share of experience of very bad / absolutely wonderful places to stay. We certainly are very appreciative of the attentive service and wonderful facilities at the Furama. In fact I have just recommended the Furama to some of my colleagues who are planning their next holiday to Vietnam.
This is not something I normally do but in posting this review, I would like to show our appreciation to all the staff for making our short stay at the Furama an exceptionally enjoyable experience.
PS: We also attended a Christmas celebration organised by the resort with Christmas carols sung by staff and various performances by the local school, ended with the arrival of Santa Claus. Many thanks to the management and staff for the fantastic effort to create a very festive Christmas spirit.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Great that you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks very much for your kind words and encouragement .Your appreciation of my teams efforts in looking after you , only makes us more determined to keep trying to do a better job .
We have had many great comments about our Christmas and New Year celebrations as well as the just finished TET ( Vietnamese New Year ) festivities and we are planning on doing bigger and better for the next ones . Hope to see you back here then.
Thanks again for your kind words . My team and I are extremely great full.

Reviewed January 26, 2011

When booking the resort I had some troubles with my reservations. I contacted them directly and they solved all the problems with our booking by placing us in two rooms instead of one with an upgrade overlooking the lagoon. The rooms were lovely, comfortable beds with balconies that overlook the verdant lagoon pool area. The facilities were very nice. The restaurants on ground are very good and the prices are quite reasonable for a resort. I'm embarassed to admit we didn't venture too much outside of the resort for food, it was that good.

The beach is gorgeous with views of monkey mountain. The surf is quite rough when we were there and unfortunately there were only 4 out 9 days that we were allowed in the water. When they had a chance my teenage sons rented the jet skis and had a blast. There were plenty of other options available as well. I just enjoyed the peace, beauty and relaxation.

The two pools are very nice. The lagoon pool is surrounded with lush vegetation with a waterfall. The water was a bit cold, but Im sure it feels real good in June. The infinity pool is really gorgeous and great place to soak up the sun.

The thing that I really appreciated the most was the staff. We were there during peak travel and they made you feel like you were the only ones there. Very genuine with their help, like they really cared. For example, my son is a huge soccer (football) fanatic and saw some fields on the way in to the resort he wanted to play at. This was a first time for them to get this request but the resort staff called and made it happen. It really was a highlight for my son.

The resort has a shuttle that goes into Hoi An daily but we just rented a taxi for the day. I highly reccomend going, great shops and restaurants, very quaint historic town. Went to My Son as well, definitely worth the trip.

All in all it was a fabulous holiday, so good we are seriously considering a return back next year.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Fabulous Holiday at Fabulous Furama are the words we love to hear and we are all very happy that you enjoyed your time with us .Glad we were able to provide the highlight of your Son's visit to Vietnam. We like doing these special little unusual requests .
Thanks for the kind comments and we hope to see you back at Fabulous Furama soon .

Reviewed January 22, 2011

Trip advisor has been a very valuable tool for us in planning trips around the globe and has never let us down in terms of booking hotels, choosing restaurants, obtaining visas, taxi etc. A great site BUT I cannot equate the comments made about this hotel with our own experiences. The good points were the Gymn which was very well equipped and the beds very comfortable. Staff were smiling and pleasant but largely untrained. The bad points. The food was truly terrible and my first meal I had to send back. Breakfasts were unappetising with too many dishes that looked as though they had been warmed up from the night before. Hotel was quiet and by 9.00am the breakfast buffet was badly depleted. Even worse, the staff were more interested in clearing breakfast away from 9.00am onwards rather than looking after the guests. Sauana and steam room would have been good if they were ever switched on...they staff were totally vague about how to do it. Very dubious comments about banana boats etc from another guests comment since there were stong gales every day and NOBODY in the sea for the whole of the period in question. The beach is covered in litter and even worse, oil.....look where you step. Finally, the length of the beach in both directions is edged with ugly, highrise, concrete developments, many of them half finished. Wild horse would not drag me back to the Furama or to Danang

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feed back on your stay . Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with us .
Also sorry that you cannot equate with the majority of comments made about us and the resort but your comments are not in line with the vast number of positive comments made on the very same topics that you have displayed dissatisfaction . Maybe your expectations are different from most others .
Specifically , I would like to address a few of your comments as I feel further clarification is required on our part .
In relation to the beach , it is cleaned on a daily basis , but I am aware that a ship offshore had an Oil spill and some oil had landed on the beach . This was cleared the same day and had little or no effect because as you say there was a storm in the area and guests were unable to swim in the Ocean for a few days .I wont comment on your mention about Banana Boats as its irrelevant .
I am also aware that you spoke with our Exec Chef and made several comments on the food to him .I am also aware that it seemed that not one dish or meal that you had meet with your satisfaction , but while around ,you many others were enjoying . Again , I guess , an example of different expectations .
I know the weather was not good during your period of stay with us and I hope this did not have a clouding affect on what you perceived on the standards of service and facilities that we offer .
I am indeed unhappy that you did not enjoy your stay , but as they say , " You can't please all the people , all the time ".
Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Vietnam .