“Superb resort”

Ranked #20 of 269 Hotels in Da Nang
Barwon Heads, Australia
“Superb resort”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived at this resort mid morning and immediately knew we had hit on something very special. After welcome drinks and check in, we were shown to our stylish and spacious room. The staff at this resort are so lovely and friendly and cannot do enough for you. The pool area is just beautiful and the beach and ocean are clean, just like the brochure. The shuttle service ran twice a day to hoian and if you miss the return trip, taxis are available for about $15 aus. Do yourself a favour and visit this area....

2 Thank Susan R
FuramaGeneralManager, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Susan,
I am delighted to hear that your stay with us turned out to be 'superb'. I will certainly not miss to pass our good comments to my staff who will be delighted to hear that their great efforts are appreciated continuously.
Our facilities are indeed very special with a warm atmosphere which unique within this region and there is no resort which can match the look.
Danang/HoiAn and the Central Vietnam region offer indeed a great variety of attractions which are very easily reachable since the road infrastructure has been done as no other destination in Vietnam and South East Asia which is a great advantage to this region.
Hope you spread the word and thank you for having taken your time to write this review.
Matthias Wiesmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Whyalla, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights at the beginning of our Vietnam holiday.
From reading the other reviews of Furama, I didn't really know what to expect, however I was surprised at how great our stay was.
On arrival we were met with a welcome cocktail/juice and cool towel in reception. The staff were wonderful and explained everything.
We had a garden room tucked away right at the back of the resort, and we actually loved it.It was quiet, and it was nice to wonder through the resort gardens to the beach and pool.
Rooms are a good size, plenty of space and a good wardrobe area. And the bathrooms are large too, so you aren't cramped.
The resort is right on the beach, and it is a very nice beach. There are lounges available on the beach, but you may need to get down there early as people take them up all day. We were lucky enough to get one whenever we were down there though.
The buffet breakfast was excellent! Lots of options and delicious!
We had lunch at the bar with some cocktails which was nice. There is hardly anyone in there during the day. And dinner at the Italian restaurant which was ok.
Danang is a bit of a distance away and if you just want a relaxing resort this is a great place. We didn't find it overly convenient getting around, but for 2 days it was perfect!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FuramaGeneralManager, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sparklysuz,
Thank you for your review and we are happy to hear that your stay turned out to be great.
Our location is surely one of the best and at the nicest part of the Danang beach being the widest along the whole stretch. Together with our two very different pools, garden and the warm atmosphere, we are surely one of the most attractive resorts on Danang beach and especially to most special in design.
The breakfast buffet indeed offers a great variety of choices from Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Western dishes as well as a large bread and pastry display, cold cuts, divers salads, juices station, 5 different kinds of cereals and of course a good range of tropical fruits.I believe we have a total of over 70 different dishes to choose from.
Our other two restaurants, the Don Cipriani's for traditional Italian country side dishes as well as the newly opened Steak house round up our great choice of restaurants which dishes can be ordered anywhere in the resort.
The distance to Danang (10 minutes) and HoiAn (20 km) are easily accessible since their is hardly a lot of traffic anytime during any day in the year and the taxis are a good way to get around. to Danang it would cost around USD 5-7 and to HoiAn around USD 20-25 each way.
A popular way to get around for many foreigners are also the small motorbikes which are a good bargain.
Thank you again for having taken your time to fill out the guest review!
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Danang itself is very boring but the hotel is great. Service is pretty good and there is a good selection of food at the restaurants. The breakfast itself is very average but we have found most of the breakfasts in Asia are of this standard. The free shuttle is good but a very bumpy ride and always quite full so it's best to book the day before.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sarah D
Dear Sarah,
Good to hear that you found our hotel great and you liked our restaurant selection which is indeed of a good mix with the fresh seafood buffet nightly at the Cafe Indochine, the Don Cipriani with its Italian Country Style menu and our steakhouse which offers the highest qualities of meats and seafood from the grill.
I have noted your comment on the breakfast but was however a bit surprised to hear that it looked average since we offer over 70 different items of Asian and Western dishes.......
August was a very heavy month for us and our shuttle bus to HoiAn indeed rather busy. For your information, we were just delivered our new shuttle bus this past month which is much smoother on the ride!
Thank you for having taken your time to write this review and best of luck to you!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Furama Danang for five days in April 2012 and this time we stayed for a week in August 2013. The resort has changed in some ways but not in others.

The positives:

Firstly, the staff are amazing - professional and polite, nothing is too much trouble.

The beach is gorgeous.

The views from the balcony over the ocean in the junior suites are amazing.

That's it.

The negatives:

The rooms are tired. Very tired. It's time to refurb people. Last year I thought the suites were nice - this year not so much and the bathrooms are dark and outdated.

F & B - the prices charged here are ridiculous. It is way too expensive and frankly much better food can be found outside for a tenth of the cost. Whilst I appreciate the overheads associated with delivering F&B to the customer, there is no way that it can be appropriate to charge for an (average) club sandwich the same as a dinner for two with drinks in Hoi An. That's just ludicrous.

We had a very ordinary (and expensive) buffet seafood dinner in the restaurant on our first night in the hotel...and then caught a taxi to Danang and Hoi An for dinner for the rest of our stay. Yes. That bad. How do you run out of dessert? Then substitute what you have run out with really awful dry cake. This is not five star and is so very different to what we remember from last year which is disappointing.

The variety and quality of breakfast was also much better last year. Plus it is now a circus - no idea what's going on there.

As I mentioned at the start - Things have definitely changed at Furama Danang (and not for the better) and some things need to change.

I am really mixed about whether I would stay here again for the third time - I like the beach but I am no longer loving the hotel so....I don't think so.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank RafKim
Dear RafKim,
I am sorry to hear that your stay this August has not been as good as in April of last year. We have had a great August with over 85% occupancy throughout the month surprising us a bit in our operation and we had to work with a good number of casual workers which has unfortunately affected the quality of service. I can assure you that we have taken appropriate action to avoid such happenings in future.
I have also taken up your comment on our seafood buffet which is however a bit surprising since we offer over 20 varieties of fish, seafood and shellfishes besides a good number of meats, sushi, sashimi, 12-15 different kinds of salads etc......I believe that you might have come on a very busy day and rather late in the evening which is however not an excuse for the limited quantities of food.
On the breakfast buffet, we do actually have a good number of new items on offer with a Japanese corner, a Chinese corner, a homemade Birchermuesli, more homemade jams, freshly squeezed juices from the bar etc.
But as said, August was a much busier month than April.
In regards to our facilities we are right now working with our Interior Designer on a more elaborate Renovation Plan and works should start within this October.
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Staff is friendly but a drinks over priced for a hotel in Vietnam. The biggest disappointment of the hotel is its remoteness from Hoi An. The hotel does not offer a free shuttle bus to the old city. In addition the facilities in the gym is small and archaic especially for a 5 star resort. I think they have forgotten that some people do like to train whilst holidaying. It's ideal if you want a romantic holiday as a couple to get away from everything and not want to visit the sights of Hoi An and the other landmarks. But if you want to see the sights then get a hotel closer to Hoi an.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious and airconditioned.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David A
Dear David,
Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.
I am surprised to hear about having no shuttle to HoiAn since we offer two every day!!?? We also just bought a new Shuttle bus for the comfort of our guests. It takes a mere 20 minutes to reach HoiAn
In regards to the gym, we bought different new equipments such as Trademills, Upright bikes, workout station and now have a complete set of equipment for any kind of fitness freaks.
Should you have the chance to visit Danang again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will make sure that you will get the full attention for all the activities you like to undertake.
Matthias Wiesmann (gm@furamavietnam.com)
Singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is our 4th beach holiday in 3 years and we chose Danang as the destination since we heard about the great beach and the various diving courses offered there.
Furama Resort caught our attention in our internet research for good hotels. We wanted to stay in a hotel near to the beach and pictures from the website showed that the beach is just right in front of the hotel!
Moreover, we contacted Furama Recreational team and they could offer various diving courses to choose from.
Thus, we decided to book 7 nights prepaid for our August holiday.
On check-in day we were greeted by friendly staff and offered a welcome drink and a plate of delicious fruits and bouquet of flowers. We were also offered a room upgrade from Ocean View to an Ocean Deluxe which was really a pleasant surprise.
The room we had was bright, and the view from the balcony was magnificent. We have an unobstructed view of the beach and it was perfect since we do like to sit on the balcony a lot.
However it was also situated adjacent to the pool so we were hoping that there would be a curfew against late night swimming.
On the first 3 nights we heard some shouting from the pool side and some Asian nationalities were also running up and down the stairs. That was all past 11pm.It was somewhat annoying and from some reviews made in Trip Advisors, it seemed to be quite common. Probably more common in the hotel next door.
However we didn’t call the Front Desk. On the 3rd night we decided to ask for a room change for the next day and the Front Desk personnel was sympathetic and allocated us a room far away from the pool. We appreciated the service and the view was still great, but what was even better, was that it was indeed quiet. Our neighbours staying in the next room were also quiet people like us. We and our neighbours often hanged our in our own balcony, and minding our own business, being considerate.
As mentioned earlier, we wanted to learn diving and the Furama Recreational Team was very competent. Our direct contact person was Ms. Tam, she and her colleagues helped to arrange the diving lessons for us.
We were picked up daily from hotel to the diving school or ferry and were accompanied by Furama staff. Each day we had a different personnel. However they all took care of us well, and spoke also enough english so when we had questions, they were able to help us.
What I would really like is to compliment one particular Furama staff. He was with us on day 2 of the diving to Cham Island. He really took good care of us. He was also proactive. When we returned to the boat, he would immediately give us our towels and water. On the way back it was raining heavily and he took out new blankets for us and even covered our bag with one . He also escorted me out of the car on the way back when I was feeling nauseated and stood nearby me in case I needed assistance. We really appreciated the assistance it was great that there was always a Furama staff accompanying us for the course.

The breakfast buffet spread was sufficient. Other than the standard breakfast items offered in most hotels, the restaurant at Furama tried to offer different warm dishes daily. We had breakfast 7 times and most of the warm dishes were different. In most hotels, they would have served the same dishes on after 2 or3 days I think.
Thus, going for breakfast at Furama was a treat. I was always curious and excited to know what new warm dishes they would offer that day.
However, my absolute favourite was the Beef Pho served with good Angus beef from Australia.
We had the chance to try the newly opened Steak Place at a promotional rate. Being a steak fan I was thrilled by the offer.
My husband ordered a Surf N Turf and I ordered a Black Angus Striploin.
The Surf N Turf was a mix of small prawns n scallops draped over the tenderloin. The portion was rather small and serving it on a big plate made it even looked smaller.
My black Angus Striploin was cooked to my requirement. It was served also on a big square plate. It would have been also fine if my baked potato was also served on the same plate.
However the taste was great, and quality as well. Just in our opinion, the portion could have been a bit more generous.
Our absolute favourite restaurant would be the Don Cipriani’s. We tried pizza and pasta there and it was a pity that we only went there on the 2 nights before our departure!
For the 7 nights we were dining in the hotel. Furama has 3 great restaurants, thus there is less incentive for us to go out to Hoi An city or somewhere outside for dinner.
After dinner, a walk along the beach is a must. It is so quiet and serene, it rounded up the day perfectly.
I read some comments on the trip advisor that the hotel is not really a 5 star hotel and that the staff was unfriendly. For us, we think Furama has a 5 Star charm. It is situated right at Danang beach, the room we have is nicely decorated. We like the furniture. It may be a bit old but a touchup would have done the trick. Many of the staff were friendly. Some of them even noticed that I have a stiff neck and would ask how I was.
Security was also pretty good. We would walk to the Furama Villas to have a look and everywhere you turn there were security guards as there were still construction going on. We felt safe.
We ventured to 2 newer hotels nearby us. They look nice but it wasn’t as luxurious as Furama.
Besides that, in one hotel there were more guests from one big Asian country. They were spitting at the pool they were in. Screaming and shouting. It would have been a disastrous had we booked there.
We did see some of them at the breakfast place. Some picked the limes with their own fingers instead of using the spoon provided, coughing and sneezing into the glasses next to the juice dispenser or yawning into the warm dishes. But thankfully we do not see many of them since we woke up usually early enough to avoid most of them.

Anyway, we just came back from our stay at Furama Resort. I just felt that we have to write a review immediately because we really enjoyed our stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Try rooms with no. 21 onwards if you prefer quieter rooms. e.g 121,221,321,421.
Dear Mr. Lee,
great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
In regards to your different comments, I have forwarded those to all our staff which are always happy to hear that their services and attention is much appreciated.
For the comments on our breakfast buffet, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the new dishes which we change on a daily basis. Your good comments on our other two restaurants were passed on and appreciated as well, thank you for that. Your comments on the portions were given to the chef to make sure it will be taken care of.
For your information, we are working on our renovation plan and should start some renovations as early as this year.
Thank you again for the rather long comment and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back hopefully soon.
All the best to you!
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is about 10k from city on the beach.

We stayed four nights and felt the price of food, drinks etc to be overpriced - a very poor cappuccino cost the same as best quality Sydney cafe! Found it a little unusual to pay for basic beach equipment such as balls and body board (not stayed at a lot of resorts but would expect this type of equipment to be free of charge).

The beach kiosk wanted 58,000 VND for a small bottle of water and a small can of coke on the beach - this turned out to be the "cash" price and it was mysteriously doubled when charged to the room (we didn't take cash to beach).

The facilities were clean both pools very nice and we enjoyed our stay here, but felt the bars and restaurants were pricey.

Staff were in the main polite and friendly - breakfast was like kiddy club with unsupervised children playing in the yogurts over the buffet etc - so family friendly in that regard I guess, but I don't enjoy my food played with. We would get to breakfasts early to avoid the crush. One morning we were offered a table in busy area near the buffet - we asked for a different table in a quieter spot (there were plenty) and were then largely ignored - no tea brought, had to find our own cutlery as it was missing on the table.

Room was clean and spacious, shower has two options 1 - wet the whole bathroom or 2 - hand held on floppy stand. No bath. Great ac, and thoughtful inclusions such as hats, raincoats and umbrellas. Nice daily fruit platter. The bed was two king singles pushed together with a strip of foam between to help falling down the crack in between...

I guess we had expected a little more - we had a mixed experience here, some staff were fabulous - we enjoyed the seafood buffet, but the pizza was a bit suss :O

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah W
Dear Deborah,
We are sorry to hear that your stay was a bit two sided with some good and not so good services.
Your comments were duly noted and distributed to the departments concerned for immediate attention and corrections.
August was an extremely busy month for us which surprised us a bit since the second half of the month is usually quieter than what we experienced.
During the weekend, our buffet breakfast was truly busy with lots of children and we turned the tables 3-4 times which made it a bit messy indeed sometimes. We will change those plans for next year and open two different breakfast outlets in order for our guests to enjoy a better breakfast.
During this end of the year, we also intend to start our renovation program for which we are now finalizing all the details with our renowned Interior Designer from Thailand to further enhance the comfort in our rooms and restaurants.
So, we will be able to offer 'something more' to our guests next year and look very much forward to this upgrade.