“Seen (much) better days.”

Furama Resort Danang
Ranked #20 of 286 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Furama Danang for five days in April 2012 and this time we stayed for a week in August 2013. The resort has changed in some ways but not in others.

The positives:

Firstly, the staff are amazing - professional and polite, nothing is too much trouble.

The beach is gorgeous.

The views from the balcony over the ocean in the junior suites are amazing.

That's it.

The negatives:

The rooms are tired. Very tired. It's time to refurb people. Last year I thought the suites were nice - this year not so much and the bathrooms are dark and outdated.

F & B - the prices charged here are ridiculous. It is way too expensive and frankly much better food can be found outside for a tenth of the cost. Whilst I appreciate the overheads associated with delivering F&B to the customer, there is no way that it can be appropriate to charge for an (average) club sandwich the same as a dinner for two with drinks in Hoi An. That's just ludicrous.

We had a very ordinary (and expensive) buffet seafood dinner in the restaurant on our first night in the hotel...and then caught a taxi to Danang and Hoi An for dinner for the rest of our stay. Yes. That bad. How do you run out of dessert? Then substitute what you have run out with really awful dry cake. This is not five star and is so very different to what we remember from last year which is disappointing.

The variety and quality of breakfast was also much better last year. Plus it is now a circus - no idea what's going on there.

As I mentioned at the start - Things have definitely changed at Furama Danang (and not for the better) and some things need to change.

I am really mixed about whether I would stay here again for the third time - I like the beach but I am no longer loving the hotel so....I don't think so.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank RafKim
FuramaGeneralManager, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear RafKim,
I am sorry to hear that your stay this August has not been as good as in April of last year. We have had a great August with over 85% occupancy throughout the month surprising us a bit in our operation and we had to work with a good number of casual workers which has unfortunately affected the quality of service. I can assure you that we have taken appropriate action to avoid such happenings in future.
I have also taken up your comment on our seafood buffet which is however a bit surprising since we offer over 20 varieties of fish, seafood and shellfishes besides a good number of meats, sushi, sashimi, 12-15 different kinds of salads etc......I believe that you might have come on a very busy day and rather late in the evening which is however not an excuse for the limited quantities of food.
On the breakfast buffet, we do actually have a good number of new items on offer with a Japanese corner, a Chinese corner, a homemade Birchermuesli, more homemade jams, freshly squeezed juices from the bar etc.
But as said, August was a much busier month than April.
In regards to our facilities we are right now working with our Interior Designer on a more elaborate Renovation Plan and works should start within this October.

998 - 1,004 of 2,333 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Staff is friendly but a drinks over priced for a hotel in Vietnam. The biggest disappointment of the hotel is its remoteness from Hoi An. The hotel does not offer a free shuttle bus to the old city. In addition the facilities in the gym is small and archaic especially for a 5 star resort. I think they have forgotten that some people do like to train whilst holidaying. It's ideal if you want a romantic holiday as a couple to get away from everything and not want to visit the sights of Hoi An and the other landmarks. But if you want to see the sights then get a hotel closer to Hoi an.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious and airconditioned.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David A

Dear David,
Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.
I am surprised to hear about having no shuttle to HoiAn since we offer two every day!!?? We also just bought a new Shuttle bus for the comfort of our guests. It takes a mere 20 minutes to reach HoiAn
In regards to the gym, we bought different new equipments such as Trademills, Upright bikes, workout station and now have a complete set of equipment for any kind of fitness freaks.
Should you have the chance to visit Danang again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will make sure that you will get the full attention for all the activities you like to undertake.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is our 4th beach holiday in 3 years and we chose Danang as the destination since we heard about the great beach and the various diving courses offered there.
Furama Resort caught our attention in our internet research for good hotels. We wanted to stay in a hotel near to the beach and pictures from the website showed that the beach is just right in front of the hotel!
Moreover, we contacted Furama Recreational team and they could offer various diving courses to choose from.
Thus, we decided to book 7 nights prepaid for our August holiday.
On check-in day we were greeted by friendly staff and offered a welcome drink and a plate of delicious fruits and bouquet of flowers. We were also offered a room upgrade from Ocean View to an Ocean Deluxe which was really a pleasant surprise.
The room we had was bright, and the view from the balcony was magnificent. We have an unobstructed view of the beach and it was perfect since we do like to sit on the balcony a lot.
However it was also situated adjacent to the pool so we were hoping that there would be a curfew against late night swimming.
On the first 3 nights we heard some shouting from the pool side and some Asian nationalities were also running up and down the stairs. That was all past 11pm.It was somewhat annoying and from some reviews made in Trip Advisors, it seemed to be quite common. Probably more common in the hotel next door.
However we didn’t call the Front Desk. On the 3rd night we decided to ask for a room change for the next day and the Front Desk personnel was sympathetic and allocated us a room far away from the pool. We appreciated the service and the view was still great, but what was even better, was that it was indeed quiet. Our neighbours staying in the next room were also quiet people like us. We and our neighbours often hanged our in our own balcony, and minding our own business, being considerate.
As mentioned earlier, we wanted to learn diving and the Furama Recreational Team was very competent. Our direct contact person was Ms. Tam, she and her colleagues helped to arrange the diving lessons for us.
We were picked up daily from hotel to the diving school or ferry and were accompanied by Furama staff. Each day we had a different personnel. However they all took care of us well, and spoke also enough english so when we had questions, they were able to help us.
What I would really like is to compliment one particular Furama staff. He was with us on day 2 of the diving to Cham Island. He really took good care of us. He was also proactive. When we returned to the boat, he would immediately give us our towels and water. On the way back it was raining heavily and he took out new blankets for us and even covered our bag with one . He also escorted me out of the car on the way back when I was feeling nauseated and stood nearby me in case I needed assistance. We really appreciated the assistance it was great that there was always a Furama staff accompanying us for the course.

The breakfast buffet spread was sufficient. Other than the standard breakfast items offered in most hotels, the restaurant at Furama tried to offer different warm dishes daily. We had breakfast 7 times and most of the warm dishes were different. In most hotels, they would have served the same dishes on after 2 or3 days I think.
Thus, going for breakfast at Furama was a treat. I was always curious and excited to know what new warm dishes they would offer that day.
However, my absolute favourite was the Beef Pho served with good Angus beef from Australia.
We had the chance to try the newly opened Steak Place at a promotional rate. Being a steak fan I was thrilled by the offer.
My husband ordered a Surf N Turf and I ordered a Black Angus Striploin.
The Surf N Turf was a mix of small prawns n scallops draped over the tenderloin. The portion was rather small and serving it on a big plate made it even looked smaller.
My black Angus Striploin was cooked to my requirement. It was served also on a big square plate. It would have been also fine if my baked potato was also served on the same plate.
However the taste was great, and quality as well. Just in our opinion, the portion could have been a bit more generous.
Our absolute favourite restaurant would be the Don Cipriani’s. We tried pizza and pasta there and it was a pity that we only went there on the 2 nights before our departure!
For the 7 nights we were dining in the hotel. Furama has 3 great restaurants, thus there is less incentive for us to go out to Hoi An city or somewhere outside for dinner.
After dinner, a walk along the beach is a must. It is so quiet and serene, it rounded up the day perfectly.
I read some comments on the trip advisor that the hotel is not really a 5 star hotel and that the staff was unfriendly. For us, we think Furama has a 5 Star charm. It is situated right at Danang beach, the room we have is nicely decorated. We like the furniture. It may be a bit old but a touchup would have done the trick. Many of the staff were friendly. Some of them even noticed that I have a stiff neck and would ask how I was.
Security was also pretty good. We would walk to the Furama Villas to have a look and everywhere you turn there were security guards as there were still construction going on. We felt safe.
We ventured to 2 newer hotels nearby us. They look nice but it wasn’t as luxurious as Furama.
Besides that, in one hotel there were more guests from one big Asian country. They were spitting at the pool they were in. Screaming and shouting. It would have been a disastrous had we booked there.
We did see some of them at the breakfast place. Some picked the limes with their own fingers instead of using the spoon provided, coughing and sneezing into the glasses next to the juice dispenser or yawning into the warm dishes. But thankfully we do not see many of them since we woke up usually early enough to avoid most of them.

Anyway, we just came back from our stay at Furama Resort. I just felt that we have to write a review immediately because we really enjoyed our stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Try rooms with no. 21 onwards if you prefer quieter rooms. e.g 121,221,321,421.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Lee,
great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
In regards to your different comments, I have forwarded those to all our staff which are always happy to hear that their services and attention is much appreciated.
For the comments on our breakfast buffet, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the new dishes which we change on a daily basis. Your good comments on our other two restaurants were passed on and appreciated as well, thank you for that. Your comments on the portions were given to the chef to make sure it will be taken care of.
For your information, we are working on our renovation plan and should start some renovations as early as this year.
Thank you again for the rather long comment and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back hopefully soon.
All the best to you!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel is about 10k from city on the beach.

We stayed four nights and felt the price of food, drinks etc to be overpriced - a very poor cappuccino cost the same as best quality Sydney cafe! Found it a little unusual to pay for basic beach equipment such as balls and body board (not stayed at a lot of resorts but would expect this type of equipment to be free of charge).

The beach kiosk wanted 58,000 VND for a small bottle of water and a small can of coke on the beach - this turned out to be the "cash" price and it was mysteriously doubled when charged to the room (we didn't take cash to beach).

The facilities were clean both pools very nice and we enjoyed our stay here, but felt the bars and restaurants were pricey.

Staff were in the main polite and friendly - breakfast was like kiddy club with unsupervised children playing in the yogurts over the buffet etc - so family friendly in that regard I guess, but I don't enjoy my food played with. We would get to breakfasts early to avoid the crush. One morning we were offered a table in busy area near the buffet - we asked for a different table in a quieter spot (there were plenty) and were then largely ignored - no tea brought, had to find our own cutlery as it was missing on the table.

Room was clean and spacious, shower has two options 1 - wet the whole bathroom or 2 - hand held on floppy stand. No bath. Great ac, and thoughtful inclusions such as hats, raincoats and umbrellas. Nice daily fruit platter. The bed was two king singles pushed together with a strip of foam between to help falling down the crack in between...

I guess we had expected a little more - we had a mixed experience here, some staff were fabulous - we enjoyed the seafood buffet, but the pizza was a bit suss :O

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah W

Dear Deborah,
We are sorry to hear that your stay was a bit two sided with some good and not so good services.
Your comments were duly noted and distributed to the departments concerned for immediate attention and corrections.
August was an extremely busy month for us which surprised us a bit since the second half of the month is usually quieter than what we experienced.
During the weekend, our buffet breakfast was truly busy with lots of children and we turned the tables 3-4 times which made it a bit messy indeed sometimes. We will change those plans for next year and open two different breakfast outlets in order for our guests to enjoy a better breakfast.
During this end of the year, we also intend to start our renovation program for which we are now finalizing all the details with our renowned Interior Designer from Thailand to further enhance the comfort in our rooms and restaurants.
So, we will be able to offer 'something more' to our guests next year and look very much forward to this upgrade.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just a small error at reception the family we were travelling with booked a twin and instead got a double. Problem was sorted reasonably well.

- Easy check in check out - despite what happened with the rooms.
- Welcomed with tasty drink.
- Outstanding bedroom and bathroom, very modern and spacious.
- Good breakfast.
- Two swimming pools, one in the sun and one in the shade - both were brilliant.
- Memorable bar area, great atmosphere in the evening, terrific band and amazing service.
- Lunch is pleasant, nice menu and good food.
- Beach is fantastic, the best part of the hotel - pure white sand.

Would love to come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joanne w

Dear Joanne,
Thank you for the the great review and I will pass on the good comments to the staff which will be thrilled to hear that their service was appreciated.
Our facilities are indeed very unique which gives us the great advantage of the special atmosphere we can offer to our guests! And all this on the best stretch of Danang Beach!
We would certainly love to see you back at the Furama and please do not hesitate to let me know so we can take special care of you again.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here after 2 nights at Novotel. First impression, the porter guys are very friendly, love the welcome drink (but my friend checked in after me cannot have it). The facilities of the resort are quiet old in comparison with Novotel or standard nowadays. But the swimming pools are outstanding, especially the one that is covered by many many trees. I got the room 221 with ocean view so I can watch the sunrise from the balcony which is awesome. Food is okay, breakfast is good with different variety. I will recommend this hotel to friends and strongly recommend the management to think about some refurbishments to improve the resort's facilities. Tips when staying here: there is shuttle bus to Hoi An but it will be more fun if you rent a bike and drive yourself there.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tuyettrinh2488

Dear Tuyet Trinh,
Thank you for your great review which was passed to all departments concerned.
We are well aware of the old facilities and I have the pleasure in informing you that we are talking to our Interior Designer on our renovation program which will be starting by the end of the year.
Therefore, we look forward to show you new and exciting facilities and restaurants within the middle of next year.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Whilst current management and the new GM have improved attitudes and service dramatically it appears that Furama has been flogged to death and wrung dry by previous management.The previous guys have wrung all the juice out of the lemon and now maybe the new guy only has the pip.Unfortunately, it's now an old dog that is run down and needs revitalizing. For what it is, (and it's not five star), it is overpriced and does not represent good value. Staff are friendly enough and food is delicious but that can be said of many resorts. The gardens are tidy but have been obviously put together by 100% rank amateurs who don't really know what they are doing. Obviously, and in fairness to current management,who appear to be picking up the pieces of a dud GM previous running the show,that is not the fault of theirs.Given time it may rise from the ashes and get back on track to being a five star outfit. Furama has had a lot of marketing hype but in some aspects fails to deliver.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Discerning trav... S

Dear Discerning traveler!
Thank you for having taken your time to write your review and we are sorry to hear that your stay was lacking on our older facilities. Let me assure you that we are very well aware of the situation and were pushing very hard to get the renovation plans on track.
We are actually talking right now to our renowned Interior Designer from Thailand and are happy to inform that our facilities will get a facelift until the middle of next year.
we truly hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back and enjoy the revitalized Furama by then and make sure we can deliver of what we are marketing.
Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me for further information