“Probably the best Danang has to offer”

Furama Resort Danang
Ranked #18 of 284 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at the "fabulous" Furama in April for a week with my wife and young daughter. Overall it was a relatively relaxing and pleasant vacation. The facilities were fine and the staff was excellent. There were several conferences going on at the resort while we stayed there. There were many US military personnel there as well -- I assume for R&R. There were even a couple weddings. Danang is an area that is truly up and coming. Everywhere we went there was a new resort of condo development. Right now the Furama is obviously the place to stay along China Beach but it seems likely that in a few years that won't be the case.

The only downside I would mention about the Furama was that my expectations were too high. I read many reviews which were almost all flattering, the pictures were amazing, it was somewhat pricey and it had hosted heads of state. I thought that it was going to be one of the nicest places I've stayed. Frankly it wasn't. It was really nice and extremely well maintained, but it wasn't what I'd call "five star". The bathrooms were all trimmed with fancy marble and wood, but it was probably from the 1990s. They were well maintained, but in tropic conditions marble gets old the grout gets dirtly looking and it doesn't look quite so fancy anymore. Same with the furniture in the rooms and the restaurants and the lobby -- high end and tasteful but not modern or new. I'm not saying by any means that the place was run down or there were holes or anything...it had just past the point of being, modern, new or impressive. The staff at the resort really make up for any shortcomings on the facilities side. Everyone was polite, friendly and helpful -- after I was there for a few days, almost all the staff knew my name and greeted me when I passed by. It really was exceptionally serviced. The other false expectation I had was related to China Beach. I thought that the beach was going to be one of the nicest beaches I had ever been to (it won some award in a magazine) and that wasn't the case either. It wasn't dirty or full of seaweed or beach trash or anything like that, but it wasn't impressive either.

The food in the resort was pretty good. If you're a "foodie" there will probably be only a few local dishes that impress you, but if you an average diner, you'll probably enjoy it. The Italian restaurant was average. It was tasty enough not to complain about, but I would disagree with reviewers that said it was the best Italian restaurant they've been to. I visited a few restaurants in town (Redstar and Waterfront were a couple) and they were a nice offering that differed from the hotel and were significantly less expensive and probably more appealing from a gastronomic tourist's perspective.

There was a kids club in the resort with all sorts of interesting activities...the only issue was that there were not that many kids while we were there. I didn't want to leave my daughter in the kids club by herself (as the only kid), so she mostly played on the beach and around the pool. The seas were a bit rougher than we expected while we were there, so it was not really appropriate for little kids' swimming. I can't say what it is like year round, but the red flags were out for the duration of our visit. All the staff were friendly with my daughter. They talked with her, played with her, picked her up and pinched her cheeks and made her feel like a little rock star. There was a DVD player in my room with a selection of movies available for borrowing at the front desk. It made me wish I had brought along one of my daughter's favorite movies for her to watch. I have definitely been to other places that were more fun for kids. I would say the Furama probably has a pretty good balance. There were not a whole bunch of kids running around screaming and being a nuisance to other guests, but I'm fairly certain there are no other accommodations in the area that are more kid-friendly.

There is not much around the resort that you can walk to. There are a couple little shops across the street that offer cheap alcohol, laundry, and massages. I tried the massage and it was pretty good. They used hot rocks and put cucumbers on my eyes...not bad for about US$10. Beer was significantly cheaper than inside the resort. Most places in Danang you have to travel to by taxi. We went to a few shopping areas and out to eat. It was reasonably simple to get around by taxi and not too expensive. We also used the shuttle to Hoi Ahn and spend some time there. That was probably the major attraction and the best shopping in the area.

If I had two suggestions for improvement of the hotel I would say: 1. replace the blue towels for the beach and pool (they smell fainly of mildew when wet) 2. remodel the bathrooms and in the meantime clean them more thoroughly. (Most people are not as picky as me regarding bathroom cleanliness. I actually checked the hard-to-reach areas in the corners and under the bench in the shower and they were ... neglected)

Overall, this is the best place to stay in Danang for now. The hotel is starting to show it's age and there are loads of new fancy places being constructed, but the friendly and helpful staff with all their "personal touches" more than make up for any deficiencies. If you are expecting Ritzy accommodations and luxury, you may be disappointed, but if you are looking for a relaxing stay where the staff really cares, I think you will enjoy the Furama.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mechatorakichi
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Not sure exactly what your expectations were but sorry we didnot meet yours . That sort of thing does not happen much at Furama , as your comments go against the large majority of other guests reviews.

I would like to mention that infact we are a "Colonial Designed Resort ', so our architecture and interior design is meant to fit that period of time.This , I think we do very well .
So we are not flash ,fancy and mordern . We dont want to be like that and we dont want to follow all the new Resorts being built with lots of stainless steel , bright red carpets and designer bean bag sofa's in the lobby. We like to be unique and we strive to be different but better.
I can see by your comments that in general you enjoyed your time with us and many things that we did was pleasing to you . This we are pleased to hear and we also thank you for the few constructive suggestions that you have passed on to us .
Sorry again that we could not exceed your expectations and trust that you enjoyed your holidays in other parts of Vietnam as well.

There are newer reviews for Furama Resort Danang

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed at the Furama for 4 nights with the family. Very clean and good service. Nice extensive buffet breakfast. The bar is charming, with a lot of wood accents. Had live music every night. The bartender (Huy) kept the drinks flowing, and knew every one we ordered without having to struggle to get him to understand our request. Everyone spoke good English, so it sure helped our visit. Over all, a very good deal for the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2011

Thanks for the very positive feed back and very pleased you enjoyed your time with us .
Great that you enjoyed our Hai Van Lounge and the music .
Our Barmen ,Huy has just recently been selected as one of the top three barmen in Vietnam , so we are very proud of him .
Hope you will be back at Fabulous Furama soon and enjoy an other one of his terrific cocktails.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Have travelled extensively all over the world for past fifty years, and it would be hard to find a better place than Furama. Went to Furama with my daughter for 5 days and because of emergency surgery we ended up staying 18 days. Our experience at DaNang General Hospital was full of adventures fortunatly with happy ending. The Hotel sent me at no cost a reception desk staff to hospital as interpreter, flowers to the hospital, daily lunch, and all the employees were concerned with my daughters health. Recovery after surgery was at Furama for ten days, the Hotel gave us connecting ocean front rooms at no additional cost, prepared special food for her, special gym counceling for recovery excercises, a small present was brought daily to her room.It was amazing to see so many people going out of their way to make our stay better.
Furama has many reasons why our family will go back once again next year: great beach, two pools, excelent food, spacious rooms, free wi fi all over hotel including room, clean rooms, beatifull gardens, peace and quiet we you need it, good massage gym and steam bath/sauna, and overall wonderfull staff.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms third or fourth floor the bests
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
gmdtm, General Manager at Furama Resort Danang, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Your acclaim as "having the best hotel staff anywhere" is indeed a pleasure and a honour to recieve.
As you already know we do try that extra bit to make each and every guests stay with us as memorable as posibble . When any of our guests are presented with an emergency situation we try our very best to assist and ensure that the emergency is dealt with as best it can be and more importantly our guests are made as comfotable and stressed free as possible.
Having someting like this happen at home is hard enough , never mind it happenning in a foreign country some 12,000 kilometres from home.
I am obviously very delighted that we were able to achieve this for you and your daughter and I hope the trip back home was survived without too much discomfort and that she is on a speedy road to recovery.
Hope to see you back at Fabulous Furama next year,but of course at this time to be just for rest and relaxation .

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our second time in Furama, came with quite high expectations (after a really nice first stay). As you can see the rating, they lived up to it. A quiet oasis in Vietnam, and if you stay in Ho Chi Minh City for more than a week, you will understand what I am talking about. Just a word of advise, do not come here for a beach holiday from December to March, as the sea will not be calm, and the temperature rarely goes above 20C. But then again, there are so many sights around Da Nang...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tamas80
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This hotel has a gorgeous view of China beach and this time of year you can see the Cham Islands. The ocean is clean and a nice temperature for swimming. The Furama staff does a good job of cleaning and grooming the beach of debris from the daily evening showers this time of year.
The bed is comfortable and the room is quiet. If you can afford it, it is definitely worth it to stay ocean view. We stayed ocean view suite and there is no bath tub and no door on the shower. The bathroom has a nice dressing area and is made of beautiful marble with strong water pressure and a nice shower.
Although some hotels in Vietnam claim to be 5 star and are not, this hotel is 5 star but showing the age (beach cushions need replacing). They seem to be trying harder to upgrade the restaurants, breakfast with the new chef from Scotland. They also are working hard at service to the guests.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay with us.Also thanks for the consructive comments about our Beach Sunbed Cushions. New ones have already been ordered and will be put in place at the beginning of the summer.
Yes we are also working hard to improve our standards of service and this is always a constant "work in progress".
All of our Ocen view rooms have been redecorated and we are now doing our Lagoon View Rooms which will be finished in a short time. Garden View will be tackled after that , so we should have all rooms completed by early 2012.
Hope to see you back at Fabulous Furama soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Stayed with my husband for one night (29/08/11) in a standard room # 315 which had views over the beach. Hotel is located a little further away from Da Nang city centre (5 mins by taxi) but right next to the beach which we personally prefer as it was peaceful and the air was cleaner. Once our taxi stopped in front of the hotel, all the front staff desecended on us to assist with the luggage and then sat us down offering us drinks and cold towels to cool down. Room was new-looking, beautiful woods in the room and marble in the bathroom. There was a sofa and table in the room; two sunchairs + table on the balcony; complimentary yummy dessert cakes (bite size); wireless worked well; comfy beds & pillow. There is a beautifu decent size pool which also overlooks the beach; deepend at 1.8 metres however there are two lifeguards on watch; no taste of chlorine which we loved. It was windy during our stay so we didn't swim in the beach but the hotel sets up beach beds daily which are complimentary for their guests and lifeguards on duty here too. Didn't try the buffet breakfast or dine at their restaurants so can't comment. When we booked we indicated that it was for our honeymoon so after the turndown service we found a cake wishing us a 'Happy Honeymoon'. We highly enjoyed our stay here and will likely return next time we visit Da Nang.

Room Tip: Get a room with views over the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay with even as brief as it was. Happy that we were able to spoil you a bit on your honeymoon.
You in fact stayed in one of or newly redecorated Ocean Studio Suites and pleased you liked the view and new decor, most do .
Hope to see you back this way again soon and hope we will be able to spoil you a little bit more at Fabulous Furama.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have just finished my 30th stay over a five year period and remain as impressed with the place as I was on my first stay.
The Resort is one of the oldest in the area and is showing signs of its age but the engineering team seem to be always on the go with repairs and maintenance.
However, the design, style and age of the place add to the serenity and atmosphere which makes a holiday here an experience to enjoy over and over.
The staff do have their problems with understanding English on some occasions but this makes me lift my game with communications in English and my very limited Vietnamese, eg. diet coke in Vietnam is called coke light. Not only is the name different on the can but to the Vietnamese coke and diet do not go together and the Vietnamese language is so specific that the mispronunciation of a single word can either mean pearl or stupid. This word, Ngoc, is a common girls name.
As with anywhere in Asia, be flexible and you will have a great time, especially at this Resort.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great outlook depending on your particular requirement.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Must be terribly relaxed after staying with us over 30 times . seems we must be doing something correct.
Your comments on English communication skills are very correct and I just wish that more guests would remember that English is not the staffs first language and also that there are so many dirrent English language accents that the staff have to be extra skilled to be able to understand all of the different ones .
All people need to do is speak clearly and slowley and 99 % of the time communications will be much better. Most of the time when people complain that the staff cant speak English , it is in fact the the guests fault because they have not made the effort to speak clearly and talk to all as if they are back in their home country.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon at Fabulous Furama and this time for 31.