“Breathtakingly beautiful resort in a league of its own”

InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort
Ranked #3 of 294 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed January 19, 2013

It is easy to fall in love with Intercontinental Danang the moment you set your foot there. Once you enter the resort, it is another kilometer drive through a beautiful garden until you arrive at the reception overlooking the sea and the mountains. The hotel occupies a secluded mountain slope (across the bay and a mountain range from Da Nang and other luxury resorts) so steep they've built its own rail link - the Nam Tram - a cable way with cars designed to look like traditional Vietnamese boats, connecting the beach to the reception area.

The hotel occupies four levels - heaven (this is where reception, concierge and Citron restaurant are located), sky, earth (La Maison 1888 french restaurant is there) and sea (the beach, Barefoot Cafe, Long Bar and the spa are there). The location is very secluded with literally nothing in the area other than a small colony of monkeys living right below the main building next to Nam Tram. A lot of thought was given to landscaping - as evidenced by painted numbers on most trees and tree props: clearly a lot of replanting took place here. There is still construction going on too, although you'd barely notice it unless you are unlucky enough to be sent to the buildings further away from the Nam Tram. There was one building we saw that seemed a couple of months away from being finished and the spa buildings are about five months from being completed we were told.

We stayed at the sky level. Having been to numerous five-star resorts across the world, I must say InterContinental Danang is in a league of its own - I've never encountered such immaculate attention to every little detail, pictures don't do this hotel justice: you'd be hard pressed to take a photo of the premises that won't be breathtaking. In terms of architecture and design it is leaps and bounds ahead of any resort I've personally been too or seen photos of. You constantly feel you are part of a glossy magazine shoot (even bathrooms in public areas are so creatively done I couldn't resist taking their photos).

There is a lot to love about this hotel. The rooms are huge (smallest rooms are whopping 70 sq m, ours was 85 sq m), bathrooms are bigger than some hotel rooms I've stayed at and all the amenities are top notch. Food in all restaurants was excellent. We've tried everything that Citron had to offer in our two weeks there and didn't find anything we didn't enjoy. We also went to La Maison 1888, a Michelin-stared French restaurant at the hotel, that opened only two weeks before we arrived. Needless to say, food and service were out of this world and, surprisingly, it was very reasonably priced - probably half of what you'd pay in a similar restaurant elsewhere.

One (possible) downside is that the hotel is not all-inclusive and you'd need to pay extra for dinner (breakfast was included for us) and resort prices are very high by local standards (we spent $60-80 for the two of us for a dinner with no wine at one of the resort restaurants). It adds up if you stay for a long period. And there are no other options in the area - the hotel is truly secluded with not even a local convenience store within walking distance and paying $20 for a 30-minute taxi to Danang every time you want to eat wont' save you a lot of money.

Another downside, that some other reviewers mentioned, is the very poor command of English of hotel stuff. On numerous occasions hotel personnel had no idea what we wanted and we had to explain the most basic things two or three times. I hope that InterContinental management addresses the issue: the only reason I didn't take points off because of sub par service was because the property was brand new and, hopefully, it will improve once it's fully operational for a longer period.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to Nam Tram offer better views of the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Denis M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,852)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

If you are not staying at the Intercontinental, then make sure you go there for Sunday brunch. The range of dishes available at the buffet is astonishing for every course from starters and main courses through to cheese and desserts, Choose the "alcoholic" menu and spoil yourself with free flow Taittinger champagne. All this at very reasonable prices and the added bonus of magnificent views and a talented band. Grand!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dudley R
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Was blown away by this place, loved it! The Citron Restaurant served the best food we had eaten in Vietnam. We came for dinner from another hotel in Da Nang & we didn't want to go back. Made our luxury resort look very ordinary. We returned the next afternoon for high tea & the four of us have promised to return to this hotel for our next holiday.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed January 15, 2013

From the first impressions of the warm welcome to the most amazing views from the Citron Restaurant, we were impressed before we even checked into the room.
This resort features an excellent blend between asian heritage architecture and modern conveniences.
From the Bose integrated sound system in the room, to being able to shower with the sound of the waves crashing into the rocks below, and the most sumptuous king size bed with a mirror on the ceiling, every part of this experience is spelt Opulence with a capital "O" and we had to keep reminding ourselves that we had only paid a fraction of what we had paid for the Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi (where the experience just didn't compare)
In Australia a hotel of this calibre would be close to $1000 a night, and rightly so.
The downsides......well the location is a fair way from Hoi an, but you couldnt have this view and this experience closer to the city. (I would only suggest more frequent Shuttle service into Danang and Hoi an)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here 31Dec-3Jan'13,with 2 Adults & 2 kids. The resort is magnificent & BEATIFUL! It is set like a village terraces from the hill to the sea, with Vietnamese architecture & interior design, every detail is well thought of. It is divided in 3 levels, The Heaven, the Sky & the Sea, it can be reached by a tram/cable car that is shape like an old Vietnamese boat or a golf car. The reception, concierge & the breakfast restaurant are located at the Heaven area, and the view is breathtaking! The breakfast buffet was excellent, plenty of choices. The beach/sea is clean. There are 2 swimming pools in the resort & a Spa (but not yet fully opened at that time) was on a temporary location. They have 2 restaurants near the beach/pool area. The room we had was on the Sky area & it has all the 5 star amenities and even more, the bathroom is interesting! When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the reception & was accompanied to our room. They acknowledged our Priority club gold membership & gave us fruit basket everyday! Plus a free massage where I enjoyed at the Spa! The lady at the conceirge name Ai, made the arrangement for our trip to Hoi An (30mins drive) & city tour too, she was very knowledgable & friendly! Considering all these comments, why am I not in heaven yet? I think, the hotel didn't have enough trained staff during the peak season, so one breakfast morning it took 20mins for our coffee to arrived. The restaurant by the beach on New Year's day had 3 staff & 1 bartender for a full house, there were angry guests that night! And shockingly, upon checked out when I paid my bill,the reception got a call from the housekeeping & said that I took their laundry bags & toiletry kits! What? you mean they are NOT free? Is this a 5 star resort? It's in my luggage full of laundry & I'm on my way to the airport! The toiletry kits are like the ones you get from a flight, but why have a kit when you have plenty of drawers and there was no label saying it's for sale! It was ridiculous but such a shame for a "could have been" a perfect stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are facing the ocean & with balcony, we have a standard room & it was perfect...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kitkat301
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The InterContinental Danang is an amazing property and I would recommend to all travelling to Vietnam or Hoi An to stop there for a few days in paradise...The design of the hotel is just stunning! It is elegant, modern without being over the top. The room featured an amazing private balcony with surfboard shaped high table & chairs and a breathtaking views of the beach and surrounding jungle. The environment is super relaxing and the staff was extremely friendly, pro-active and tried to make our stay the best possible and made you feel part of the family. The GM came to great us a few times and check how our stay was going, I felt this was a very nice personal touch. Breakfast buffet was delicious in particular the pancakes and the Pho - Make sure you book one of the outside tables on arrival. So all in all I would absolutely recommend a few days at the InterContinental Danang. It is easily accessible from Singapore with direct flight to Danang with SilkAir. There are cheaper options too via HCMC with Vietnam Airlines.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elena231183
Reviewed January 8, 2013

After staying in another resort in Danang for two nights, we moved to Intercontinental as we read about its beautiful architecture in a Canadian newspaper online, we wanted to see it first hand.

We were very disappointed from the beginning. We booked three rooms with agoda.com. As far as we could see at the time of booking, the rooms with the king sized bed, and the rooms with two queen sized beds were all the same price. We wanted two interconnecting rooms with a king sized bed and two queen sized beds, and another room with two queen sized beds. But agoda.com didn't provide the option of choosing the type of rooms we wanted so we booked three rooms with two queen sized beds and added a note stating what we wanted.

When we arrived, we were told if we want a king sized bedroom we had to pay. And there were no interconnecting rooms in the resort, only connecting rooms. The level of English of the personnel at the front desk was not very good. We asked for the manager on duty then a woman with long hair came up. Her English was even worse than the people at the front desk. We managed to understand from her that none of the queen rooms were connected. If we want connected rooms (not even interconnected!) we have to pay. We were trying to explain to her why we should not be charged and we were not happy there were no interconnecting rooms. In the end, they checked my husband's priority account and agreed to give us "connecting rooms".

The rooms were not ready so we went to have a bite to each at the beach restaurant called Barefoot Cafe. The restaurant's ground was actually sand which was quite unique. The food was typical, not too bad. The pizza was good. The service at this restaurant was quite good but again, it was difficult to communicate with the waiters as they barely spoke any English. If you have any kind of special request or a particular question, forget it. We had to take a cable car to go from the building where the lobby was to the beach level where the restaurant was. The was pretty cool.

The hotel was really beautiful and the architecture was very interesting. The rooms were in different buildings perched on the cliff. Each building had three levels with four rooms each. The rooms with king sized beds were at the corner of each level with two queen rooms in the middle. I actually liked the interior of the queen rooms better than the supposedly better king room as it was bigger and had a higher ceiling with an A-framed roof. The inside of the king room was smaller but it had a bigger balcony. There were no comfy sofas or chairs to lounge about on the balcony.

Breakfast was okay. I had better breakfasts in two other hotels in Vietnam on the same trip. We had to wait for a long time for coffee and had to remind them about it. We wanted to have breakfast outside on the balcony the first day but all the tables were taken. After a while, they set up the last empty table that was a bit wet from the drizzling rain for us. I think they were not going to use that table at first as you could get a bit wet but decided to set it up for us. They agreed to reserve a table for us the next day as we waited so long for a table outside (which they did the next day). We were made to sign the bill for our breakfast even though breakfasts were included in the room when we booked. When we checked out the front desk apparently knew breakfasts were included but they appeared on the final bill anyway. They had to take it out after we pointed it out. I wonder if we didn't check the bill, they would have taken it off voluntarily.

The resort is not officially opened yet. It only had a soft opening with about 50% capacity running. There are only two pools. One is on top of the gym and the other is next to the beach. Kids are not allowed in the one on top of the gym hence we stayed only at the beach side pool. It was very small with only 8 sun beds. I don't know how they can cater to everyone when the hotel is running at full capacity as I didn't see any space for more sun beds. 6 of us were sharing 4 sun beds.

The sea was rough and the beach had a lot of little pieces of trash. It looked like the hotel workers are staying in some basic housing on the beach just 200 meters from the hotel. We could see them from our room as well. There was more and more trash on the beach as you wonder away from the hotel front but still in front of the workers' accomodation.

We went to the Long Bar one night for the happy hour. It was buy one get one free before 7pm. My sister and her daughter ordered two drinks before us. Then my husband and I arrived a bit later and were promptly told by our niece about the happy hour. We asked the waitress if we had to order the same drinks for the happy hour special. The English of the employees at this resort was not very good in general, we were not sure if she understood what we were asking. In any case we ordered two of the same. The kids were playing in the kids club in the mean time. Then my older daughter came after the happy hour was over, and she ordered a drink as well. Total five drinks. When we asked for the bill, we were surprised to see that we were charged five drinks instead of three. We told the waiter, he then took off one drink. We said the drinks my husband and I ordered should have been under the happy hour special but they said they were ordered after 7pm. We told him to ask the waitress and she also insisted we order them after 7pm. We were quite sure it was before 7pm otherwise we would have ordered different drinks. And if it were indeed after 7pm, we should have been informed by the waitress when we were asking about the happy hour special and how it worked, and whether we had to order the same drinks. After a while the waiter agreed to take another drink off but he had to phone somebody to ask for permission.

The night before we checked out, we booked two taxis for the airport at the front desk. When we went to the driveway, we found out there were no taxis waiting for us. The supposedly manager on duty from the first day was there helping customers with the taxis. I told her we booked two taxis and asked if she gave our taxis away to a small group of customers before us. She said I didn't have the information that we booked the taxis. Should I have told every employee in the hotel I booked two taxis so they don't give my taxis away?

We also didn't understand why we were not given any Priority Club points. We were told we would get points if we booked directly with the hotel, not with an online hotel booking site. ????

This is a beautiful resort with stunning architecture. Unfortunately it has a team of employees who need a lot of training before they understand what service means. The management needs to work on improving the level of English of the staff. Ironically, we found that the buggy drivers usually speak better English than the concierge and staff at the fornt desk. If you are looking for a beautiful resort with stunning architecture perched on a cliff in the middle of nowhere, go there. If you want any kind of service, avoid it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Dami88
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Dami88,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, your comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.