“Great Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Danang Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 286 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed (3 of us including an elderly mother) in a 2 bedroom residence on the 6th Floor for 3 nights over the Chinese New Year period. Our apartment was on the corner with a double aspect view which was simply stunning. The apartment itself was fully furnished with almost everything you could want, although my mother had to keep asking them to send Tea Bags up to the room.

Our rate also included an hours massage at the beautiful spa. Another great touch was that our room was for four people and even though there were only 3 of us, we were allowed 4 massages. My mother greatly appreciated her second massage in two days. An example of great service recovery was when we had pre-ordered a golf cart to take mum up to the spa for her massage. The original cart didn't arrive but a staff member who was passing by ran my mum up to the spa on his golf cart. The most amazing thing was that one hour later, he had taken it upon himself to return to bring her back to the room.

The management team are very visible, the executive chef always around and talking to guests at breakfast and dinner. We had an issue with the shuttle to Hoi An as we were given conflicting information by the front desk, however, it was sorted out when 3 people didn't turn up so we took their places on the bus.

Overall, a great hotel, a few teething problems with translation such as when our bags didn't get taken to the check out area but were left outside our room. The food and beverages were great and not too overpriced seeing as it's a five star hotel. I can also highly recommend Baguette for sandwiches etc although it's a bit of a walk away from the main resort.

Room Tip: The residences are great if you're on a high floor. Ask for a corner room too
2  Thank kirbsterLondon

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Hyatt Regency Danang Resort & Spa is a relatively new but really stunning property in an up and coming location.

The property features expansive grounds with various choices of accommodation, most with a picturesque sea view. Food choices are aplenty, but the pool house is my personal favourite, because of its casual ambience and proximity to the white sand beach.

Vie Spa, their on site spa, also offers excellent treatments in stand alone spa villas. Staff were professional, courteous and friendly and amenities were of high standard.

If you can, book the club rooms and take advantage of the breakfast and cocktails. Service and staff are a notch up and you won't regret it after downing your third glass of champagne.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank joolea
Reviewed March 18, 2013

SUMMARY:
For those of you who like short reviews, look no further. Disregard the handful of bad (read: overly exaggerated) reviews, because I fell in love with the property the minute I stepped in. The staff were very friendly, attentive and really do their best to make you happy. The views were SPECTACULAR and I've noticed that the beach on the Hyatt has one of the cleanest beaches I've seen on the strip. I took a walk after breakfast one morning (going down past their southern neighbor) and they actually assign people to sweep tiny corals and whatnot off the sand, making it sparkling clean. TALK ABOUT ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!! Long story short, stay here. It's in between Da Nang City and Hoi An, so you're in a prime position to plan your activities. It's also next to Marble Mountain, very near, very convenient (tip: look out the starboard side of your plane when you're about to land. You'll see a couple of 'hills' by the beach, just behind it will be the Hyatt.) If I haven't already mentioned it, stay here!!

ACCOMMODATION:
Now I don't normally write long reviews but I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

I stayed in B Block, which some might find a little "far", but come on, it's only a two minute walk to the Greenhouse Restaurant so stop being lazy. To compensate for the "distance", B Block has (or at least my room, the 06-series) has one of the best, if not the best view of all the rooms. Ask them for a higher floor, might just be your lucky day. I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to that room and it was certainly a welcoming view after a hard day's work. If I weren't there on business, I'd be in the circular bed on the balcony with a bottle of whiskey and a cigar ALL DAY, taking in the sea breeze and the calming effect of the ocean.

Caveat: Do not expect the rooms to be exquisitely designed like an Amman or a One&Only. The Regency has a clean cut look, very modern yet functional and comfortable. Some people might not like it, some people do but hey, let's be fair. It has all the amenities that you would find in any other 5-star hotel and then some.

There was an iPod docking station located in my bedroom (not in the living room, bummer), which was good, but it would have been nice if the unit could operate on a separate, centralized sound system and not via the TV as I love to sleep with my music on but could only do so by leaving the TV on. Loved the fact that they have a fan in the room as the A/C can be pretty dry sometimes. Also, there were a shortage of power outlets but that's not an issue really.

The other people in my group who stayed in F Block had what I believed to be standard rooms. They were pretty nice too, each with its own balcony and a lounge-bed; good if you’re on a resort. If you do take those, then ask for the ones on the ground floor so that you can walk out straight to the pool.

FOOD & BEVERAGE:
The hotel has in total about four to five F&B outlets: The Beach House, Pool Bar, the Greenhouse, the Lobby Lounge and the Regency Club (I might have gotten the names wrong but you’ll know when you’re there).

The Beach House serves really good and affordable food. We had dinner the first night there and we decided to share amongst the five of us. We paid in total about US$30 – US$40 for a lot of dishes which I cannot even remember now, but what I clearly remembered was that we were all very full and very happy.

The Pool Bar remains to be one of my favourite spots in the hotel. It’s right next to the pool, and they serve up some of the meanest deep-fried shrimp and grilled squid (that green sauce that comes with it is amazing, you must try it) I’ve ever had. The staff there are very friendly and the hotel’s really lucky to have them. One particular gentleman by the name of Brian stood out with his relaxed nature and the nicest, most genuine smile in the hotel. Look him up, he will take care of you.

The Greenhouse restaurant is where breakfast and all day dining was served. Breakfast is just like what you would expect at any coffeehouse in a hotel, but what was nice was the local breakfast items that they serve. There were many Chinese tourists while we were there, and I had a rather bewildering experience with one of them (nothing to do with the hotel).
When you have them around, be prepared to have the place turn into a circus. I was having a peaceful breakfast with my Vietnamese noodles, waitress pouring water for me and all that when this Chinese man came up beside me, stood right next to me, looked at my noodles and pointed it to the waitress to get him one of those. His finger was so close to my noodles that I did not have an appetite anymore. Was rather perplexed by that experience – didn’t know whether to be angry or just amused. Talk about personal boundaries. The waitress kindly apologized, which she didn’t have to, and we went about our business.

I’ve read some reviews with regards to English, but that will remain an issue with any developing country that is just opening up to the world, so let’s be honest, fair and patient. I’ve read some reviews which lambast their command of the language, but seriously if you constantly look at the faults of the staff or their lack of skill, then you’ve only got yourself to blame for that ruined holiday. I am pretty sure the hotel knows this and are investing in language training, but results will only come after a while.

Traveller tip: If you treat people with respect, patience and a little understanding, they will go out of their way to serve you and make you happy, especially in Asia. It’s in their nature. Perhaps this could be why I have had such wonderful experiences in places like this because let’s face it, at the end of the day, if you take away the brand names and the logos that distinguish one hotel from the other, they all look the same, feel the same and the only thing that separates that is their PEOPLE, and it’s these very same people which can make that holiday extra special. And don’t forget to tell their manager what a good job they’ve done because although a monetary reward does satisfy the temporary, a personal note of thanks from a guest goes a long, long way.

RECREATION:
The hotel has a total of five pools, spa (did not get an experience there), rock climbing wall, surfing lessons, gym and also beach activities (volleyball, football and even kite flying for the kids) so if you decide not to go out, there’s plenty to do. The main pool is great because the pool boys come to you with drinks once you settle in on a lounge bed. It’s right by the beach, so you can face either way you want. I did not manage to do many things while I was here as I was on business, but I can assure you that you will be definitely occupied.

Traveller tip: Bring mosquito repellent, or lemongrass oil. Sand-flies hate that crap. A few of the people in our group were bitten so you better pack some to cover yourself during your forays on or near the beach. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

All in all, the whole experience was really good. I can only say so much about how good this place is, it’s up to you to take my word on it. It’s such a beautiful place that I would seriously consider holding my wedding here (and I have not said that of any other hotel), if I do eventually get there.

One last tip, CHECK THE SEASONS BEFORE YOU GO! Many a time people have been disappointed with their holidays just because they’ve forgotten to check the sunny seasons. That’s it from me.

I wish you a wonderful holiday here.

Room Tip: B Block, 1006. Best. Room. Ever.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank hatteo
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for Valentines. The staff and the property are both absolutely fantastic. We stayed in one of the one bedroom residences on the 7th floor, completely unobstructed view of the beach and ocean, both beautiful. The room was fantastic with cooker, fridge, toaster, i-pod dock, two LCD Tv's, one in the bedroom one in the livingroom, and a huge bathroom. The bed was so comfortable, with two big fluffy pillows each.

I had planned to get engaged to my fiance here and had been emailing the hotel for their help to organize this, Nguyen and Hien were absolutely fantastic. Any request that I made was met with such professionalism and nothing was too much trouble. On the night Hien was extremely helpful, arranging a special menu for us with all the things that my fiance likes. After our meal in the Beach house restaurant Hien ensured that everything was organized on the beach, tiki torches, champagne etc, for my proposal, everything went off without a hitch. I cant commend the staff, especially Hien and Nguyen, enough real professionals.

The hotel is very self contained with loads of dining options. As stated we dined in the Beach house restaurant on Valentines night. This restaurant is nice but, as is to be expected in a five star resort, expensive. On our second night we dined in the Green house restaurant. This is a fantastic restaurant, buffet in style, with lots of options to choose from especially for appetizers and desert. This restaurant is extremely good value as well, €20 approx per person, well worth it.

The hotel itself has a fantastic stretch of private beach front. Really peaceful and idyllic with barely a person on it. Also on site there is a climbing wall, numerous swimming pools and a volley ball court, you never need to leave the grounds.

I have only two negative things to say about the hotel. Firstly the shop for the self catering residences, called The Baguette, is very expensive, but I guess again this is to be expected in a property of this type. We bought most of our groceries in Da nang, and only had to buy a few items like water at the Hyatt, bottles of water being nine times the price you would pay in Da nang. Secondly on an occasion like we were celebrating, our engagement, and spending what we did, almost €1000 for two nights, a bottle of wine or a complimentary drink would have been a nice touch but this was not offered and would have really left an impression. Overall though I have to say this is a fantastic property and we will definitely return. Thanks to all the staff who made this such a great stay for us.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the seventh floor, great view
2  Thank JRCork
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Wow! Amazing amazing property! Very wide spread yet very comfortable. I stayed in their Club Ocean View. The room was very well designed with easy to find lighting, a/c and fan switches. The breakfast at the lounge was ok, the standard items that one would find. On the 3rd morning, I needed something different and went down to Green House for breakfast. Should have decided to come here for breakfast the past 2 mornings. Very good spread. I have to say the hotel serves one of the best Vietnamese coffee that I have had. Staff were very friendly and always smiling which made it quite hard to get mad at them when they get your order wrong. But I think it was more of the language barrier then anything else. Definitely worth coming back here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank maddy_hayashi
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from an excellent holiday in Danang, Vietnam. And the holiday couldn't have been any better when we checked into the Hyatt Regency Danang Resort & Spa. We arranged for a hotel pick-up which was relatively cheap compared to other hotels elsewhere. For only US40 we were driven on a R300 Merc from the airport to the resort which took approximately 20mins. It was money well spent.

Our executive suite on the Club floor was just amazing. It was well furnished and I personally wanted to stay indoors than to be walking in the sun outside. The Regency Club served some really good b'fast and cocktails in the evening with a wide range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to choose from.

The one fact that took us both by surprise was the price of their f&b. A Heineken only costs US4, and this is in a 5 star hotel, mind you. You needn't step out to town to have a decent drink. And their food menu is equally affordable and we would strongly suggest that you try their buffet b'fast at The Greenhouse.

Apart from a slight language problem with their staffs, which I came to realise is a common thing in other hotels too as this town is just up and coming, they are very hospitable and friendly and we made a lot of friends during our stay.

You need to spend some time walking within the confines of the resort to enjoy the sites. They also provide free shuttle to Hoi An and Danang town. And if you plan your trip to Hoi An well, you would be saving money on taxi fares to this ancient town.

And last but not least, please try the pastries and sandwiches at The Bagutte. It's a very cosy joint and like the rest of the resort, the prices are very affordable.

Our next trip to Hyatt Danang will not be too long from now as we had a lovely trip and we can't wait to explore further, both the resort and Danang Town.

1  Thank Jerry L
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is a very well designed resort. The room was very clean, modern, and well appointed. The swimming pool was also great. The service was excellent, and all the staff seemed to know my name. The resort and the beach was very quiet and uncrowded when I was here, and it was very relaxing. I came here on business and am planning to return with family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business