“Close to Perfect”

Hyatt Regency Danang Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 284 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Actually the rooms are perfect. They are sleek and stylish and modern and both spacious and consummately efficient at using that space. You'll love the view from your bathtub and wish that your closet at home were as well-designed. You'll also enjoy the balcony with the big sofa ... and everything else as well.

The Beach House restaurant served the best steak I've had so far in Vietnam (a $70 rib eye ... fully worth the cost) and a ceasar salad as good as any in the world. I liked it so much that I ordered the same salad at two of the other restaurants at this resort but found each to be lacking (no anchovies at one, and too soggy at another). Resorts are not known for the quality of their food, but this place is an exception to that rule.

What isn't so perfect about this resort is the clientele (ourselves excluded). During our stay two corporate events took place. One of them consisted of a team building coach shouting "one-two-three" in Vietnamese over a loudspeaker on the beach repeatedly for a couple of hours. At some point during this activity the participants shamefully released about a hundred plastic bags to pollute an otherwise pristine beach (a rarity in Vietnam where the norm for beaches is something reminiscent of your local garbage dump). During the aforementioned steak dinner several Vietnamese kids ran around screaming and shrieking while their parents remained entirely oblivious. This is the normal Vietnamese parenting, but it shouldn't be the norm while consuming such an exceptional dinner. I think in each of these cases the management could and should intervene and maintain as high a standard for their clients as they do for themselves.

Breakfast was another complaint. At 25 USD/person, it isn't exactly cheap. We arrived after one of these large corporate groups who managed to pick everything clean. We lingered for a while but the staff seemed overwhelmed and did not manage to restock. So we ended up having a very expensive bowl of pho and bread and opted out of breakfast on the subsequent mornings.

Still, these were just irritants and the overwhelming excellence of this place warrants its five stars.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Danang Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Overall the hotel location and design is nice. But, my problem is with the service at the F&B outlets. It was very S L O W. For the three days I stayed there. Getting a bill even took longer.

The other thing I noticed is management clearly lacks an eye for detail. Daily I saw cigarette butts, cigarette boxes in the same spot over the three days. Plastic bottles where left in the same places all over the grounds. I just felt that the Hyatt did not care. Or the GM and staff have never walked the property.

This could be a great hotel. But management needs to improve its standards. This is a Hyatt not a three star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Thorn5636783
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 8 nights and loved our surroundings. The property is absolutely luxurious. We booked with breakfast and there were so many options to choose from each morning and the quality of the food was exceptional. We also ate at the pool house once and the Greenhouse many times (wonderful pizza from the pizza oven and pasta, and exceptional sandwiches),

The shuttle service is good and means that you can get into Hoi An in the morning and return at 3 p.m. to enjoy a relaxed evening at the resort. Or go in at the end of the day and cab back for 15$ USD.

The gym facilities were great and bottled water and towels are available as well as a hot and cold jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.

The guest rooms are very well appointed and spacious. The bed was a little on the hard side for my liking but overall I would return to this location without hesitation. I am so happy we decided to stay here over any of the options in Hoi An.

Of note, we too experienced the VAT discrepancy on check out and am told they are working to close the gap between the Hyatt.com final rate and the hotels final billing -- having said that, they quickly adjusted my bill to reflect the Hyatt.com quoted rate and we are talking 9$USD on an 8 night stay.

1  Thank luv2travelthree
Reviewed March 28, 2012

No breakfast included, and the hotel is still working through kinks having only been open for 2 months, but the rooms we got (we were upgraded) had beautiful beach-front views and balconies with excellent seating areas. Inside, the room had a comfortable L-shaped couch, bed and a walk in wardrobe with space for your luggage. All done in a minimalist modern beach-style-resort decor. The main swimming pool was huge and my family said the fitness centre was extravagant as well. I didn't want to leave the hotel. But I'm glad I did because the beach was stunning - it's a rather isolated area so the sand is still pristine and not that polluted compared to Hoi An. Great choice for a beach holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank N L
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Visited the beach house 2 times and had the best dinner in Vietnam yet. Excellent service and food. Great atmosphere and beach view from our table. The food was just awesome!! The staff really were on their game. Plus, the Nice manager comped us a fruit platter dessert. I have been to the other resorts along the beach here in Da Nang and none of them brought out our meals together as they did here and their service was terrible. Hyatt Rocks ! I will be back.

5  Thank k9guru
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Who is here to look at the coast line! and compare it to Spain.

The water and beach is good. The rooms are fabulous we lashed out and booked a suite for 5 nights. We can not fault this place, there is maybe a few teething problems but nothing visable to us. The Regency Club has plenty of nice food on offer and a reasonable variety Staff are very pleasant. We would recommend this stay to anyone who likes luxury. We are big Hyatt fans, and this hotel is up there with some of the best.
S & T.
Canberra, Australia

Room Tip: Pay more and get a suite...over looking ocean.
1  Thank Sharen M
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I don't think I have written a negative trip advisor review before. For the most part I am very easy going and easy to please. I do not have enough superlatives to describe the beauty of this resort. The design is perfect for its China Beach setting. BUT, as an avid traveler, especially in Vietnam, I was very disappointed in the service. I am willing to give it somewhat of a pass as it is new and I know skilled labor must be hard to come by in Danang with developments booming at warp speed. Most disappointing was the inability to let management know of the shortcomings I experienced. Repeatedly, I asked to speak with someone without success. When you spend 12 times your normal spa fees and end up in between treatments without hot water to rinse off your gritty scrub before a massage and no one understands that this is not good is VERY frustrating. And this was just one incident of several. I cannot in good conscience recommend this resort. I will say that the staff, although inexperienced, was very warm and eager to please. You can see more of my stay in my blog post: http://saigonlove.net/2012/03/22/tale-of-two-visits/

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends