“Huge resort but not for me”

Crowne Plaza Danang
Ranked #77 of 242 Hotels in Da Nang
Melbourne, Australia
“Huge resort but not for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Was booked to stay here with my wife for 6 nights last month. I tried to pre-arrange a hotel car several times via email before the trip - but got no response which was disappointing. Never mind we arrived from Hanoi and caught a cab easily enough from the airport to hotel.

First impressions were very good. The lobby area is enormous and a little overwhelming when you first arrive. We were greeted with a refreshing lemon iced tea and checked in with a minimum of fuss.

We got an ocean view room on the 4th floor. The room is a good size and the bathroom was terrific with a large bathtub overlooking the bed.

Unfortunately once we'd been there a few hours and got to explore the complex further, I realized I hadn't done my homework thoroughly enough. There were no other westerners to be seen in this place at all and checking out all the restaurants I could see why. They cater primarily for the Chinese market. Many of the staff had very little grasp of English, although they all were polite and smiled at every opportunity.

The first morning we tried to arrange a tour at the tour desk. There were 3 girls present who seemed more interested in playing on their mobile phones. When I finally screamed at one of them for some attention I was asked "do you speak Chinese ?"

The stay went all downhill from there as I succumbed to a gastro type illness and was laid up for a couple of days. We ended up cutting short our stay by 3 nights and headed home. The hotel didn't charge us for the remaining booking which was a pleasant surprise - I was prepared for an argument but it didn't eventuate.

Da Nang itself is not quite what I expected it to be. The majority of the hotel beach resorts are located about 5 km's out of town, so you need a cab to go anywhere. There were absolutely no restaurants or shops anywhere near the hotel, so we did feel trapped to a certain degree.

Next time I would stay up the road at Hoi An. There certainly is more to see and do there. Look there's nothing particularly wrong with this place - if you're holidaying from China you would love it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank neilwinch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Building and rooms are very nice... Beach also... But services and restaurant needed improvements! We arrived at the the restaurant at 8:45 P.M and they propose us to take the buffet (vietnamese), around 30$ USD per person. So we accepted and going to see and chose somes foods for our first plate... 5 minutes after, they went to told us, its will close in 5 minutes... First, why they didn't advise us before? Second close a restaurant in this kind of hotel at 9:00 P.M dosen't make sense! Also, the house keeping didn't clean well our rooms... And the worst, when we arrived, we find a cigarettes pack from the previous guest, in our room... I only appreciated the staff at frontdesk and the concierge...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Thaiger1
Andrew_Lambie, Manager at Crowne Plaza Danang, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Pierre D,

Thanks for your feedback on our property. It's great that you enjoyed the Hotel Room and Beach, yet I am saddened to here that the service you received was unsatisfactory in our Restaurant. Please feel free to contact me directly on my contact details below so I can personally respond.

Many Thanks,

Manager, Brand Experience and Quality
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This place is absolutely massive. Everything is big...the main foyer, the hallways, the pools and the rooms. I honestly can't compare it to anything in Australia. The sense of space is amazing. Although the resort was apparently fully booked there was an afternoon where my friends and I were the only ones actually enjoying the whole pool area. I have no idea where everyone else was but according to the pool bar staff a majority of the guests are Chinese and don't like the sun. Funnily enough late one evening the pool areas were packed with Chinese guests. The pools are fantastic and lead onto a pristine beach, again with virtually no-one enjoying the surrounds except us Aussies. The pool bar was great. The Vietnamese bar staff were a great bunch of guy's who kept us entertained. The rooms were huge, modern and most with a balcony and picture postcard views. The buffet breakfast was awesome with everything that anyone would want. We found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and most we met could speak at least limited English. The resort is a fair bit out of town but easily accessed by readily available taxi's which only cost a few dollars for a trip into town. This in itself isn't a bad thing as Danang didn't seem too exciting. I would love to head back to Crowne Plaza and would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends. It was a definite highlight of our trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geoff G
, Manager, Brand and Guest Experience at Crowne Plaza Danang, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Geoff G,

Thank you for your comments from your last stay here at the Crowne Plaza Da Nang. Our hotel is big; it is the largest in Da Nang. We pride ourselves on the facilities and staff that we have working with us here. We are glad that you enjoyed our infinity pools and the amazing beach.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Crowne Plaza Da Nang.

Macau, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

It's a huge hotel with facilities nicely set up. The room includes a king sized bed, a balcony which the guests can lay on the bench viewing the swimming pool and the beach. The bath tub is built in my room but not in my parents' room so it depends on the room you get.

The staff are kind and their service are pleasing. Since the hotel mainly accommodates Chinese guests, by whom nearly all rooms are occupied, most of them can handle Mandarin.

One improvement can be made is that the light in the swimming pools can be strengthened for safety, since it's hard to see the route at night in such a dimmed light.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ghost1204
Dear Ghost1204, Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback about our Great Hotel. Some of our rooms here at the property do have baths and some don’t. We will remind our reservations team to ask guest’s if this is something they request. Crowne Plaza is part of the bigger family of IHG and we welcome guests from all parts of the World. Our Chief Engineer is looking into a solution to the lighting in the pool area to make this a more enjoyable experience.
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

A huge hotel with 600+ rooms. More thoroughly equipped rooms than I have ever seen (including smoke mask, ironing board and weight scale). Luxurious rooms with bathroom that opens up to the room so you can watch television from the bath. Great bathroom fittings including a two point shower with a seat and double wash basins. Outside there are huge water park type pools and water features next to the beach. Two main restaurants, asian and western-ish and decent breakfast. Difficulty getting served at peak times - bit like a holiday camp atmosphere. Everything on a huge scale, public rooms, corridors, etc, but mostly tasteful.
But, so huge that it's a five minute walk each way to reception, which is frustrating when your key card goes wrong twice! A locked fridge that we were told we would have to put a deposit on until we complained that 5 star hotels don't do that! A bacon burger that arrived without bacon. Room phones that did not work properly. Staff in the gym who did not know how the equipment worked. but all little irritations.
But most of all, just so big that to go anywhere takes too much time and is oh so impersonal.
The hotel is built for the Chinese tourist trade, so English is not up up to normal Vietnamese hotel standards. The television channels are mostly Chinese. There is reputed to be a casino next door, but I was never interested to find out.
So not my sort of place, but I cannot fault the extent of the luxury provided. However give me Vedana resort outside Hue any time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to reception as all rooms are a long walk or take a bicycle!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mel B
Dear Mel B,

Thanks so much for your honest and genuine feedback about our hotel. Crowne Plaza Da Nang is the largest hotel in Da Nang with 535 rooms. Due to the size of the hotel it does take some time to walk through the complex. We are currently looking into our room key cards as to what issues they may present. As we are an International Hotel, some of our guests request that the mini bar in their room is locked. Our policy is under review in relation to any deposit needed. As for your Bacon Burger; I can only apologize on behalf of our kitchen team and assure you that this has been rectified. We have just increased our Recreation (Gym) team and they have been undergoing skills and English training.

Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

On the grand scale, everything was XXL here from the lobby to the rooms. The pool was a little difficult to access from the west wing requiring meandering through the gardens but once we figured out a more efficient route it was fine. Food was plentiful and staff were very willing to accommodate any special requests eg. English breakfast tea.
As a resort I expected some resort based activities to be offered eg. Tai Chi by the pool or volley ball games on the beach. Overall a relaxing place to have a beach break but completely devoid of any cultural experience.

Room Tip: West wing facing beach affords nice view without the morning sun
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tassy22.

We love it when we have guests who have a great stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Da Nang. We are glad that the Food and Beverage Team could accommodate your requests. We do have regular beach activities that include volleyball, jet ski’s to name a few. If you are planning on a return holiday soon, please do let me know and I will personally show you around the property.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

As the title suggests, this resort is monstrously big... I don't think i've ever stopped anywhere that's a third the size of the what they've built here.

Overall most things were pretty good:
- service was fine (English standards a bit mediocre but thats quite common across Vietnam)
- food was okay,
- rooms were very large and nicely set up
- general facilities provided (pools, gym etc.) were all pretty good
- location on the beach is pretty nice but you're a bit out of it if you want to eat outside of the resort itself (i'd recommend hoping in taxi to Hoi An for this as the food choice there seemed much better that Da Nang itself, especially for vietnamese food)

I tend to prefer small and unique so it's not really my ideal choice of resort type but overall i was reasonably impressed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HongKongStuey
Dear HongKongStuey,

Thanks for the great feedback! We love it when people can have a great holiday and really enjoy themselves is a beautiful hotel such as Crowne Plaza Da Nang. We have taken your feedback on board and our teams are attending more English lessons.