“Close to perfection”

Ranked #3 of 275 Hotels in Da Nang
London, United Kingdom
“Close to perfection”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

As the last leg of our trip in Vietnam we were looking for an extraordinary place which would be memorable and special. Fusion Maia, Louk’s creation, strives to encapsulate that and more. Da Nang has been on the map for some time as a major touristic spot but it is still very much under development. With its strategic position in between Hoi An and Hue, benefitting from a newly built airport and a fantastic stretch of beach, China Beach is THE perfect place for a unique resort like Fusion Maia. We had the pleasure to have conversations with Louk, the creator, and also the GM, Michelle and after spending a week it dawned on us this is no touristic destination as such. Fusion is a concept, it is a way of living: a place for the body as much as the mind...a place for the sense of sight but for the other senses too and why not...maybe tap into that sixth sense we don’t often have access too in our daily lives. Enough with the introduction and let’s talk about the different parts that make this resort.
If you got to this point you are probably aware of the main marketing point of this resort: spa treatments included in the room price and breakfast anytime-anywhere. We were picked up at the airport by our friendly driver who gave us a brief introduction to the city of Da Nang on our way to the resort. We were then taken through the paperwork by Phuong and a trainee who were explaining few basics about the resort logistics and the point of contacts for anything we might need during our stay; that culminated with a tour of our unit and the main features of the room which also included a personal iPod for the length of our stay. The unit itself is out of this world and for once I could finally see that whoever developed this decided not to spare expense for fixtures and fittings. The bathroom which comprises a large stone bathtub and a separate huge shower with a glass panel facing the garden was the most beautiful room I have ever seen. The whole unit is actually surrounded by sliding doors which open up to what is YOUR personal pool and relax area. The space has been cleverly designed to be open space, yet to have separate areas: entrance + living area, bedroom with a modern and elegant four poster bed and a bathroom which could be out of an interiors magazine cover. If you don’t believe me about the extent they went to, check out the TV swivel which allows you to enjoy your favourite programme both in bed and in the bathtub. My only gripe was probably that the tub is rather large and it took a large amount of water to be filled – hot water seemed somehow limited and it needed time to be reheated so taking a bath was a patience exercise for a person like me who likes a very hot bath.
More in general about the resort now: there is a main pool area facing the beach and the restaurant Fresh which serves light fare and drinks catering for those wanting to make the most of the pool and the sun chairs. There are also very comfy day beds on the lawn which are perfect for reading a book and sip on one of their delicious smoothies...green tea for me...banana and coconut for my other half. The area is also open to the beach which stretches for kilometres and is for you to explore...amazing to take slow walks before sunset. On the other side of the pool on the way to the main building there is also a well equipped gym which comprises both a weights area and a cardio room with state of the art equipment. The Main building which is the central pole of the resort life is connected to one side to the resort entrance and on the other leads to the spa area. It houses the bar Tonic and the restaurant Five. On the lower level has a relax area with a fun room for adults and one for kids which include books and games.
Here comes the part which I have high hopes will be improved in the future: yes, you read that right, the resort offers spa treatments included in the price of your stay. However, in my own personal experience, it is still a concept that requires further improvement. The spa has a good routine but that clashes against the pleasure of the experience. Sometimes it felt like being taken through the motions and just because it is included in the rate it should not feel like a routine. I never had any problems booking my treatments unlike what other people said but staying for 7 days we ran out of treatments to try after 3 days. So, we were then informed they are working on expanding the palette of treatments and I can vouch for this as we tried few new ones such as the Ayurvedic massage and the Indian head massage. Most of all, work will also take place to improve the overall experience. I am the first one not to fuss around the English language skills but a bit more info around products and steps of the treatment would have been a pleasant addition. We have referred our thoughts to the GM and we feel confident these details will be investigated and rectified in the coming months. Special mention to the girl at reception, Anh, and member of staff Thu and Tung.
It might seem that the room price is steep but when you consider the spa inclusion and the standard on offer there is a valid argument for that being fair overall. Even more so when you consider the level of customer service and the effort these people put in to make sure you have a good experience. This does not include those rude guests (and I am not going to mention nationalities) who no matter the good intentions up to GM level they would not be pleased. The staff made our stay, even just with a smile or a small gesture or funny conversation as it is the true soul of this place. Special mention to the restaurants manager Thieng (sorry for the spelling!!) and most of all to the supervisor Ven, who would not be out of place in a Michelin star restaurant in London, and H'ung, who was just special. Keep up the good work H'ung!
Anyway, there are also some clips of the resort on YouTube should you need to visualise the sheer beauty and bliss of this resort. I am not affiliated and although I recognise there is still work to do, I cannot help but recommend this wholeheartedly. After spending a full week there, coming back to the daily routine is not easy but it feels like we have found a place to look forward coming back to!

2 Thank marsim2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Fusion Maia is a unique resort where the spa treatments are included in the basic room rate. Me and my wife had two treatments every day, all very good quality. Special thanks to the terapist named Y for very strong back massage.
Apart from Spa we liked our garden villa with small pool which our children enjoyed a lot.
Also the main pool is great but could have been warmer.
The quality of staff, their English and kindness was outstanding. Keep it up its becoming unique.
One more upside of Fusion is very nice beach which during our stay was totaly empty.
Hotel also provides mini bus to Hoi An which is very helpful.
Things to improve: enrich the menuin the pool restaurant and improve the quality of alcoholic drinks.
Overall experience

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Voyboy
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Found this resort to exceed all expectations. The attention to detail from being collected to signing out was tremendous. Details like cleanliness, quality of furnishing, room service etc etc is superb. (my wife says I'm not descriptive enough - sorry)

Staff very polite and helpful, don't appear to have the word "no" in their vocabulary. Without exception their English was better than my Vietnamese.

Their link to Hoi An is great with the shuttle service (free) and their bicycles there (free).

While the items on the menus are not cheap, they are excellent quality and fresh. Their coffee superb.

This is the ideal honeymoon venue (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc honeymoon) with the privacy provided by the enclosed private gardens and pools.

Very quiet resort, everything on single levels, pools are fantastic.

2 Thank FritsMetz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2012

One of the nicest hotels I have stayed at in Asia, beautiful rooms, private dip pool, good food.
Weather was bad, it wouldn't stop raining and was a little cold.
Very close to being a 5 star resort, most of the staff are very genuine and make an effort, just needs a little work in the service and communication department. Perhaps some better training and communication skills, especially at the front. One complaint I had was that I asked them to book me a plane ticket, and they tried to charge me $30 (10 pp) and that I had to pay another 3% if I used credit card. I didn't appreciate the fact that they tried to nickle and dime me, and thats an example of which areas they can improve on.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Poulton Le Fylde
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Beautiful hotel, gorgeous beach, food is exceptional, rooms are amazing, staff are brilliant. Very quiet so expect to be fully recharged after holidaying here!
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barfly_11
Spain
Reviewed January 20, 2012

About the resort itself, I love the layout of the place. It’s very tranquil, nothing like big hotel blocks, and they use natural materials such as wood, bamboo, ropes, no plastic bags in sight.
The infinity (main) pool blends beautifully into the horizon. The pooI is not heated, so in January walking straight into it from your room is not a good idea. However, I found the pool temperature nice and warm following a walk in the beach. And even a swim in the beach itself was very nice after a nice walk along the shore allowed the body to acclimatize. The private pool was too cold all days but one, when the sun shone directly onto it. I enjoyed the pool and beach practically to myself as most people found it too cold to plunge in, but it was lovely. The glass walled gym has very nice cardio machines in one room, and weights in another right oposite.
The food was ok. I can only comment on the breakfast as well as the room service menu. The morning breakfast buffet met the expectations for this kind of resort. The in room service is not varied enough though, especially since there seems to be nice options in the other restaurants, so I feel it would be nice to include their options, too. Overall I would have enjoyed more Vietnamese cuisine (other than pho and noodles), as central Vietnam has delicious dishes, and I personally found the menu too westernized. That said, my orders were tasty and very well presented.
The spa area is very nice, and I particularly enjoyed the Thai massage, but I feel they will need to refresh its menu or include more body massage options.
I was welcomed with a delicious strawberry tea, and my checking in, as well as my checking out, was hassle free. It’s true that not all members of staff understand English clearly, particularly some masseuses and housekeepers. But all ladies at the spa reception interact well in English. Moreover, in the event that a member of staff cannot understand your request, they promptly look for someone who can. Personally, I find that their genuine willingness to help and their friendliness more than makes up for their linguistic shortcomings. Unlike other guests’ reviews suggest, I felt relaxed and at home everywhere throughout the resort from the pool area, to the gym and the spa. Many Vietnamese who can’t speak English well feel a bit embarrassed and overwhelmed when they can’t understand foreigners, and so interacting with them as much as possible, in my opinion, helps.

Room Tip: My room was near the beach, which was perfect for me.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ijurco A
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I wanted to like this place after reading all the great reviews here. Overall, it's a pleasant facility, but it was the staff who ruined it for me.

Spa: starting with this as the highlight at Fusion Maia is that you get 2 spa treatments included for each day of your stay. However, I skipped out on the last day as I was really tired of the spa by then. What disturbed me the most was how the therapists (even the therapist serving my husband, and not me) would stare at me when I was undressing and dressing - the lack of respect for my modesty made me feel very uncomfortable. Next, the choices of treatments are very limited. The manicure was not professionally done. Also, I informed them on the first day that my thumb was broken and to avoid it during massages, but on the subsequent days none of the therapists received the message. Tragically, I felt that it would be more painful to try and communicate this to them verbally than to bear any impact of the massage on my thumb.

Service: the staff was mostly attentive but the service rendered indicated that the staff were as new to the industry as the resort itself. Firstly, communication was a major problem. The spoken English of the staff in the resort is actually poorer than the shopkeepers outside in Hoi An. 3 people were unable to point me to the entertainment room - I finally got through to the receptionist via charades. There was only one lady in the entire resort who could speak a sentence of English, but I found her rather rude at one point. That Housekeeping placed (I hope - not tossed) my spectacles glass down on the sink counter was another indication that training was lacking.

Entertainment: this would be a great place to lie around and read. However, come prepared with reading material - I could only find one English book in the library. Newspapers are not provided. If you take the shuttle to Hoi An, they have some bookshops there selling pirated books - nope, there are no legal alternatives.

Food: The lunch menu/pool restaurant menu is quite limited and bland. However, the dinner menu at the main restaurant was a pleasant surprise - the food turned out much better than described on the menu. It's mostly fusion food and the tradeoff between variety and quality (low on variety but high on quality) turned out to be worth it. The tapas food is tasty and well-priced. You also get a good variety for breakfast at the main restaurant during breakfast hours.

Pool: the plunge pool in the room as well as the main and spa pools are gorgeous but were unusable in early Jan due to the chilly weather. I wished at least one of the pools were heated, without that it really diminishes the value of coming here during winter months.

Beach: I can imagine that this would be a fantastic beach in the summer months. It was too windy/foggy when I was there but the sand is powdery soft and there is a brilliant view of mountains from the beach.

7 Thank Nitpicker011