“Tien Thinh Hotel-Pretty Interiors and Pleasant Staff”
Review of Tien Thinh Hotel

Tien Thinh Hotel
Ranked #180 of 269 Hotels in Da Nang
Quezon City, Philippines
“Tien Thinh Hotel-Pretty Interiors and Pleasant Staff”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here for an official business and we were impressed with its pretty, intricate interiors for its size. It's a new hotel in Da Nang with comfortable rooms and buffet breakfast at a very good price. Finding this hotel was a relief from the expensive 5 star hotels we initially inquired from. Rooms have cable tv, aircon, spacious bathrooms with a cute shower cubicle, dresser, cabinet, coffee table. At the dining area, it's refreshing to sit by the glass panel facing a mini zen garden while enjoying ones buffet breakfast. Staff is very friendly and accommodating though you dont expect them to speak much English. It is a standard policy I guess in Vietnam hotels for reception personnel to ask for your passport (its the same experience with the other hotels across the country) and they can pretty much be trusted with it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel, having seen great reviews for it on TripAdvisor and other similar travel/hotel rating sites.

We stayed for a week, and left feeling somewhat underwhelmed.

First of all, it's location is a bit of a double edged sword. It's close to the airport, but not that close to anything else of tourist value. Not a problem if you're getting around by car or motorbike, but potentially a problem if you are travelling on foot.

Rooms are indeed clean and well appointed. Curiously, a teapot and kettle were offered, but no complimentary tea or coffee, nor were teaspoons available. It's generally quiet, but noise can at times be as bad as any place in Vietnam.

Very few staff away from the front desk speak English, so it was a bit problematic for my partner who didn't speak the language.

The service isn't five-star, but if you ask for something, it gets done, although sometimes with a slight delay. It's certainly not the worst I've had from a hotel by any stretch of the imagination. It meets expectations for a three-star hotel.

Laundry here is quite costly (charged per item rather than by weight of the laundry bag), and you can get it done much cheaper in town. The hotel goes out of its way to ban washing your own clothes, although we did a few items from time to time without bother.

Wifi is free, and sufficiently latency free for VOIP, but signal strength is an issue in some parts of more distant rooms.

Breakfast seems to have taken a bit of a decline in quality since previous reviews - there's barely enough if you are a late riser, and most items are cold by the time you get to them. There's variety, but some odd food items as well (even for Vietnam) such as kettle cooked potato chips for brekkie. This isn't a big issue in Vietnam - you can step our your front door and have breakfast for next to nothing anyway, but if it's important to you, then get in early. The house restaurant isn't anything special, but not overly expensive either if you need something at the hotel.

Our biggest issue with this hotel was the very early checkout - we needed to be out the door by 4:30AM. Although we had notified staff the night before, we arrived downstairs to find that the front desk was closed and the doors were locked, and we had to wake one of the staff members to check out and get out the front door.

Overall, it's a 3* hotel where you get what you pay for. It's generally no fuss, but there are a few niggling issues that stop it punching well above its weight.

Room Tip: 3 person rooms are significantly larger and well worth the US$5/day premium.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nerdag
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is the worst hotel we've ever checked in and we were there for 2 nights. When we arrived at the train station, we gave the hotel reception a call so that they can give directions and the exact location to the taxi driver in Vietnamese. However, the receptionist's kept telling me that she can't speak Chinese when I told her in English to speak to the taxi driver in Vietnamese. You can imagine how frustrating this can be after a long train ride.

When we finally made our way to the hotel, more surprises awaited us. We had booked a room via email but the receptionist gave us an impression that they were not expecting us to turn up. We were asked to show our passports which was fair enough but we were shocked when we were told that she will keep our passport until we check out! When we rejected her request, then she asked if she could take a photocopy instead. We understand that the hotel may need some kind of documentary proof that we were staying in the hotel but we don't find it acceptable for them to keep our passports as a 1st option. Furthermore, we would have gladly allowed her to make a photocopy for her records. All this while, I must stress that her attitude as a front desk receptionist sucks! We might have given in if her attitude was a little better.

After we checked into our room, we decided to take a tour of the neighborhood. We were given another unpleasant surprise at the reception. We asked for a map of the surrounding area and places of interests nearby. That same receptionist told us they do not have a map for tourists and if we needed one, she will make a photocopy from the hotel's. We decided to give the tours offered by the hotel a miss due to the bad feeling we had even before check in and we roamed the nearby area on our own.

We also did asked her whether there were any good places for local food nearby and she replied, "I don't know." When I tried to press her for a recommendation because I find it strange that the hotel receptionist can't even recommend a good place for lunch nearby, she "suddenly" remember that there's a restaurant nearby. We tried the food there which was quite delicious but it was more of a Cantonese cuisine than Vietnamese. I must stressed that I remembered telling her that I wanted local food.

After lunch, we explored around a fair bit before returning to the hotel. We had wanted to do some laundry but when we approached the front desk to check on the pricing, another receptionist lady on duty and guess what's the answer? She replied, "I don't know." We later figure it out that the laundry prices could be found in the menu placed on our hotel room's dressing table and true enough it was there. What really bemused us was why the receptionists keep telling us, "I don't know."

We also noted that there was a travel desk on the other side facing the receptionist desk. We can't helped but tried our luck to approach the travel desk for recommendation. But the same answer from the travel desk lady,"Don't know. Go there." (pointing at the receptionist desk). We can appreciate the fact that it is impossible to know everything but the staff should be trained to say something like, "I'm not sure about it at the moment. Please let me check it out and get back to you as soon as possible."

We were given breakfast vouchers for the next day and the spread was alright. However, the serving trays were not covered up or kept warm and the food was cold when we took them. They have orange juice but the container was nearly empty. When I asked for more orange juice, the waitress just tried to pour out all the residue. You won't be surprised to find all the debris and sugar lying at the bottom of the glass after a while.

Yes, the hotel really could have been a gem as a lot of details were given to its decor, furnishing and external ambience. However, this hotel really scored a ZERO in the way its employees behaved. As I'm typing this long review inside my room, I am constantly bombarded by the loud squabbling conversations of the cleaners who are resting along the corridor just outside my room. I have been to many countries and hotels in Asia and this is the worst I have been to. In fact, I have always been relying on trip advisor for information and it has always been quite accurate that I had never bothered to write anything until I stayed in this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the 1st floor as it can really be noisy due to the traffic and noise coming from t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AnthonyKwan

Travelers are raving about these Da Nang hotels

Currumbin, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Very nice hotel. Well priced, new and stylish with clean attractive rooms. Very quiet. The staff were very helpful and attentive. Its quite close to the river and 10 minutes away from the airport. But the breakfast!!! Huge buffet of asian and western food. Slick, professional and very polite staff attending. I'm just sorry that I didnt eat in their dining room the night before.

Room Tip: Like in all hotels, the higher up you go the better the sleep quality
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thailand
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here and very much satisfied with everything ie: Room, Amenities, Breakfast and the best is the excellent service of all staffs who tried their best to assist in each and every way. Will definitely come here again and happy to recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, UK
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I couldn't over-emphasise how incredible I found this hotel. The manager Quang couldn't do enough for us. And seeing Xuan's smiling face each morning was a perfect start to the day.

The service felt five-star. Everyone was so attentive. I'd be hard pressed to find any faults with the place. It's a brand new hotel and the quality of furnishings was excellent. We really felt sorry to leave. Have stayed in some great places in Vietnam, but this was something quite special.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends