“Perfect place to stay”

Betel Garden Villas
Ranked #69 of 163 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We thoroughly reccomend this lovely comfortable and friendly home/hotel accomodation. We stayed there three nights and enjoyed coming 'home' to Betel.
Staff are natural, helpful and friendly. Great breakfast etc ........When we return to Vietnam and partcularly Hoi An we would not think twice about saying there again.
I agree with all the other reviews.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2009

We were recommended this homestay by our friend from Austria and were not disappointed . From The first day we were warmly welcomed by Vang and Dong and all staff. Everyone of them treated us so well .They are honest and go out of their way to help us . The homestay has a big and nice garden for our children playing around. We got bicyles, internet, laundry for free .The organized tour which Vang did for us to Cham island was brillant.We wish them well and many happy year ahead .We will certainly recommend them to our friends and family back home , I will highly recommend this homestay to every one, especially who travel with kids!"

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We spent 3 days in your wonderful resort and we felt very much at home. The compound is beautiful with all its trees, plants, flowers and birds. It is well kept, quiet and run by extremely friendly people who were always will to give us any needed support. We appreciate furthermore the common dinner with the family and other guests and availability of good bicycles for free. We will not forget our stay in your hotel and like to say a big “thank you”

Kirsten and Rainer Kuelker

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

The Betel Garden Homestay is around 2 km from downtown Hoi An in a quiet residential area on the way to the beach area. Several observations;
First is that the place is kept in immaculate condition. The gardens are picture perfect, the room (cottage) we stayed in was spotless .....everything worked well.
Second, there are some great services included such as free internet (and wifi if you have your laptop with you; free bicycles to use when you want; breakfast (you can eat what you want....select from the menu and all is prepraed for you to eat either in your room or in the garden); free laundry; and a dinner with the family/staff served in the garden on an evening which suits.
Third, everyone is super friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done quickly and efficiently. Everyone spoke some English....several of the staff quite well.
If you want to be in the centre of town close to everything, this is not the place to stay...but if you don't mind a 10-15 minute bike ride or a 20-30 minute walk to town then this place is hard to beat. Value for money is terrific ....much better than what you get downtown. We would certainly stay here again

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Len C
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Wow! This little place is a gift for the traveller. A bit of a way out of Hoi An town itself, but well within walking distance, quiet, restful and friendly. The villas are gorgeous, spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are great - the first separate shower we'd seen, and not one of those dreadful hand-held things which are meant to slot into something on the wall, but which never work properly!

The staff/family are so friendly and welcoming, the gardens are delightful, with tables and chairs set up for breakfast or just lounging about. Breakfast is excellent, as always in the hotels we stayed in around Vietnam. Free laundry!!!

Taxis come within minutes, it's as cheap as anything to get into town if you don't feel like walking, and it's quiet at night. We bought a one-hour boat trip in the town of Hoi An, and negotiated that the boat would bring us back to the Betel Garden via the river. What an adventure! The boat driver pulled the boat up to the bank in a field, we had to jump quite a way (for old folk!!), and then he led us a circuitous route through back streets, which we could simply have never navigated on our own.

Bedside reading lights are obviously at a premium in Vietnam, and the Betel Garden was no different in this regard - but this is quibbling!

We loved the Betel Garden, and only wished that we had organised to stay for three nights, not just two, as part of the package is dinner with the family. That would have been great.

Tiny complaint: the room we stayed in was very damp, and both the bed itself and the bedding were also very damp. It didn't matter really, because the weather was quite warm, but nonetheless it was a bit funny. Luckily there was enough bedding to sleep on so the damp didn't rise up. Not sure why our room was damp, as our friends' room was perfectly dry ...

Wonderful experience, great place, lovely staff, good price. A real find! If you want a different experience in Hoi An, book at the Betel Garden - truly wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank balhannah
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Vuon Trau for more than two months earlier in 2008 ( mid January through March) and found the place so wonderfully friendly that we have booked again for two months next year.
While in Hoi An we are involoved in humanitarian work and so appreciated the level of service after a hard day's work. Our room was always made up nicely, with fresh flowers, a thermos for tea and our personal laundry returned promptly. Breakfast in the garden offered variety and dinners with the family ( about once a week) were always delicious
The garden was a pleasant place to unwind and the short stroll to the main street for dinner through the neighbourhood safe.
We cycled the countryside , and in fact went to work everyday on bicycles provided by the "hotel".
I can't imagine what happened for the previous reviewer, as we found the homestay family and all the staff very gracious and kind. In fact, when I had a terrible fall, breaking my arm, the whole family and crew went out of their way to ensure that I was comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank swimmer43
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I normaly dont do reviews, but in the case of Vuon Trau Homestay in Hoi An I would like to issue a strong WARNING due to seriuos theft and invasion of privacy.

I stayed at the Vuon Trau Homestay for three nights in may 2008 after meeting their "assistant manager" at a hilltribe celebration. Her description of this establishment as a "family run" low key hotel with a relaxed atmosphere "far away from the other hotel complexes" appealed to me and I decided to give it a try.

At first, I was not dissapointed as the facilities are nice set in a lush garden, however, this was soon about to change as this "homestay"turned out to be owned and run by a major touristcompany in Hoi An (i.e. just another tourist hotel) with a staff that where increasingly pushing me to buy this and that. Offcourse, to a price that well exeeded the local norm(as so often is the case at touristresorts alike).

As I had vietnamese friends on the scene, they would help me get what I needed, and hence where the hotels offers not neccecery.This did not, however fall well with the staff which resulted in an unfriendly up to the point of hostile atmosphere, and when I did decide to purchase something(phonecard) this resulted in the assistant manager (Ms Chung) searching through my phone (she helped me load the credit), making remarks on my personal life and calling me a "bad person"who subsequently would be punished by powers from above. Professionalism?

During this time, somebody also called numbers in Sweden that where stored in my phone, only to hang up. To add to the injury, Ms Chung also read my emails which also resulted in disagreeing remarks. Creepy....

Still, worse where to come as I upon departure realized that a large sum of money totaling well above 700USD, Bath, and Dong had gone missing from my moneybelt that was stored in a large, vault type of securitybox in the room (open with a key). I knew the specific amount as I did an inventory the night prior to departure, and hence there is no question of when and where this money dissapeard.

Upon contacting the hotel regarding and explaining the matter, Ms Chung suddenly lost her understanding of english, and subsequently hung up the phone in my ear. This repeated itself a few times before getting hold of the no1 manager, who explained to my vietnames friend, that If I used the security box in the room instead of the one in the reception, it was my own fault, and I where to blame. When asking her if it was to be expected of her staff (totaling about 4 people) to steal, and why these boxes where installed in the room if the hotel did not recommend using them due to this thiefing staff, she too, hang up the phone in my ear.

I later got hold of the owner of the large touristcompany (and hence the owner of this hotel)who explained that it was impossible for the staff to steal anything as "they did not have the password to the safe...?"When commenting on this saying that there where no "password"explained to me when checking in, only a large key, he did not follow. Somewhat Kafka like reasoning, no doubt.

So, I feel that a STRONG WARNING is warrented for this hotel, and if you due decide to stay there, I strongly recommend holding on tight to your valuebles, phones and emailaccounts!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo