“Great service and breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hai Au Boutique Hotel

Hai Au Boutique Hotel
Ranked #42 of 123 Hotels in Hoi An
Los Angeles, California
“Great service and breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel has been great for a number of reasons. I will list out some pros and cons (with the pros outweighing the cons, hence the 4 star rating):

1) Service - I thought service was excellent and I've stayed at many 4.5 tripadvisor rated hotels during my month-long vacation in Asia. They greet you by name each time you pass by the front desk, and are very helpful when it comes to questions about the area, or how best to travel. (i.e. Biking is the best way when traveling to Cua Dai beach or An Bang beach, approx 15 minute bike ride)

2) Breakfast - They have a great breakfast....serving a main breakfast (i.e. baguette with choice of butter/jam, omelette, fried eggs, etc) plus "dessert" (i.e. banana pancakes, mango pancakes, pineapple pancakes, or fresh fruit plate) and drink of choice (i.e. coffee, fresh squeezed juices, tea). I definitely made sure I ate enough each and every day.

3) Room comfort - The room is one of the bigger size rooms that you'll see when staying at a "comfort budget" hotel in Asia (i.e. my definition of comfort budget is $20 - $35/room/night). Yes, the room is priced at low $30's which is on the higher end of what I've been paying hotel-wise, but I thought the beds were very comfortable (i.e. premium bedding). They also have a welcome plate of fresh fruit in the fridge for you, along with complimentary bottled water each day.

Cons (during my stay) -

1) A/C noise - The a/c works great, it's just the noise that is quite loud.

2) TV broken - The TV had no reception, and we couldn't watch a single channel.

3) Water - Water from the faucet had a slightly funny smell, but not sure if it's the hotel or Hoi-An water in general.

TIP: Book your bus tickets from Hoi-An to Hue directly online (i.e. I used Sinh tourist). Booking online you will be charged 85,000 VND, whereas booking through them is 145,000 VND+. Long story how I found out, and I don't think the hotel is being shady (i.e. it might be the sinh tourist booking office). But just book online.

Overall, I was still happy with my stay and would definitely recommend this place to family and friends. I listed cons just so there are no surprises whatsoever. The building is a bit on the older side, but clean will always trump slightly older. Plus, the hotel is currently going through some renovation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MHK10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hotel was a bit of a walk from the center of town. The rooms were nice, but the service was a bit overbearing. We entered the room to find the beds covered with rose petals, which we then had to clean up to be able to sleep. We could not enter or exit the hotel without being accosted by several different girls at the front desk, whose English was good enough for them to ask questions, but not good enough to understand our answers. The one time we needed them to do something to arrange our airport transfer, the car was late.

The breakfast at the hotel was adequate. The rooms themselves were nice and we had a room safe. You will want to use the mosquito nets when you sleep.

The hotel would be OK if it were cheaper. Overall, for the amount you pay, you can do much better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eugene K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is lovely and the staff, particularly the front desk staff and manager are incredible. We were met at the door and welcomed by our names. The staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful, informative, and booked some excursions for us. You will not regret staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A very good hotel in a good location. I highly recommend to rent a bike from the hotel and to take the ride to the beaches nearby. This way you can also easily get to the town centre, which without bike is a bit of a walk.
Staff is friendly, breakfast is good, there is even a pool on the premises, and the prices are good, this is Vietnam after all. This hotel can definitely be recommended, the only reason the fifth star is missing is the fact that the hotel is a little bit run down and you get better value for money in most other cities in the country,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Our say here was good. Friendly staff and breakfast included. Only downside was the construction on the hotel which is loud and the rooster and dog who go off at 6 am every morning. Otherwise nice budget hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights at the Hai Au Hotel in mid-April 2013.

I'm really surprised at its lofty position on Tripadvisor as I have to say for us, the hotel had good points but also many bad points. We booked into a Superior Double room and were originally given the family room on the top floor. The room was enormous with a huge double bed (2 twins pushed together) and a separate single bed. The room was very well presented with petals on the bed covers and towels moulded into swans-a nice touch. They also gave out complimentary water each day and a plate of fresh fruit in the fridge on arrival.

The family room had a small balcony, wardrobe with safe, a tv with DVD player, aircon, a minibar, a computer, a separate free standing table and 2 chairs and tea/ coffee making facilities. The bathroom was dated with a bath/ shower and some quite old fixtures and fittings. From an initial viewpoint though, the room was decent. It was only when you looked closer that you realise how dated it is. The wallpaper in some areas (mainly around the aircon unit) was a bit ragged and falling off the wall and the plug points behind the beds must have been there for decades. They were just a mass of wires. One of the plugs didn't work at all and both of the lamp bulbs had blown within 5 minutes.

That night when we returned from dinner, we were treated to the delightful sounds of the hotel water tank motor kicking in every 30 seconds for varying lengths of time on the roof right above our bedroom. To say it was irritating was an understatement! To the staff's credit they moved us immediately to a standard double for the night which was fine (still dated but more than comfortable) and then into a different Superior Double room the next day. This room was dated like the first one and had the same issues with wallpaper peeling off the wall around the aircon unit and very old and dodgy looking electrics. It also had a bath/ shower that leaked water all over the floor every time you used it. So, all in all, the 3 rooms we stayed in were large and relatively comfortable, but very dated and in desperate need of some renovation.

The breakfast buffet was a bit laughable to be honest and I'm amazed it has received some credit on Tripadvisor. It consisted of a small buffet of mostly uncovered western and Asian food including fruit, tea/ coffee and juice. Why these hotels don't cover all their buffet food up is totally beyond me! The "eggs" cooked any style consisted of 1 egg cooked any style which is unbelievably stingy!!

The hotel is not in the best location. It's a good 20 minute walk to the old town although the hotel does hire out bikes for a dollar a day and they're in fairly good shape. You have to hire these though (or a motorbike) as the walk is too far in my opinion. There are many other hotels in much better locations in my opinion.

There is no lift so be prepared for a hike if you are roomed on the higher floors.

What saved this hotel from a complete capitulation were the services of the staff. They were all very sweet and spoke excellent English. They were helpful with maps, very professional in moving us from our room and apologetic too. They arranged onward train tickets for us to Nha Trang (but watch out for the commission!), turned some laundry around for us really quickly, and were always smiling, greeting us by first names whenever we arrived or left the hotel.

I just feel slightly sympathetic for them as their services are not matched by those of the hotel which as I've said already is in serious need of renovation. For the price and given that we'd just spent a few nights down the road at the much better and same priced Vinh Hung 3 Hotel, I expected a lot more. I would not stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The girls running it were just lovely and very helpful. Our room was on the bottom floor, close to reception and we didn't ever feel there was any problem with noise, only the odd scrape of a chair above. The room was large, nicely decorated with a good bathroom. The flower petal artistic arrangement on the beds was absolutely beautiful. The breakfast was fine, was surprised fries were there! The hotel is a decent walk to the old town but you know that before you book. We arrived early after an overnight train into Danang. After we checked in the staff said, "help yourself to breakfast, no charge", which I thought was a nice touch to begin our stay. We have stayed in many hotels and my son and I agreed these staff would have to be the friendliest we have had, no question!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family