“Nice stay without a hitch”

Hai Au Boutique hotel and spa
Ranked #59 of 147 Hotels in Hoi An
“Nice stay without a hitch”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Hai Au is a three storeyed guesthouse/resort. It is very close to the central market. Also it is walking distance to Tran Family Chapel, which is the starting point to the walking tour. There are about 35-40 rooms. The rooms are nice and large. So a double room came with 2 beds - a queen size and another a bit smaller. Rooms also came with a balcony. The beds had a touch of nice cloth based origami in the shape of a swan, when we arrived. The wifi is the room was fine, though a bit weak. what could be bettered ? - A suitcase rack could be added.
The baths were fine, quite roomy. The mini bar has prices that were same as that at any department store.
The staff was quite helpful, they gave good recommendations like going to the local bank for currency exchange for a better rate as compared to the hotel. The My Son tour arranged was good. The cab to the airport was arranged at competitive Hoi An rates. The staff was plentiful at the reception area at all times.
The breakfast buffet spread was quite ok and the attached restaurant had a good Vietnamese menu and was operational through the day

2 Thank Rajiv_Gopinath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in a triple room. The room was a great size with complementary tea/coffee etc a PC and tv/dvd which was a nice touch if u like to use them.
The staff are VERY friendly as mentioned in other reviews which is not to everyone's taste but better than being unfriendly! They will try and help where possible, always quick to answer requests and offer suggestions. We did feel a little uncomfortable when they assumed we were attending there Xmas party and we had infact made plans, it seemed we had offended them by not attending.
After these good points its a bit down hill. The hotel overall is grubby, dirt and dust on most surfaces, dead insects spotted on the first day were still present when we left. Our room floor didn't seem to have been swept, feet were black after walking around. The bathroom had a mould issue as did the a/c unit which also leaked. The breakfast area was also similarly grubby, quite off putting when it is a buffet and the cutlery or plates aren't clean. The breakfast isn't particularly extensive or exciting.
The hotel is further from the hoi an 'action' than we anticipated after reading the description. For the price I didn't feel it good value for money, I'm sure there are worse places but I'm also sure there are much better.

3 Thank Catherine F
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This is an instance when Trip Advisor let us down big time! The friendly and helpful staff do not compensate for the inadequacy of the rest of the hotel. Our plans had to change while in Vietnam, and we would be arriving a day earlier than we had booked for. I sent emails in advance to advise the hotel of this and ask them to arrange a transfer from the train station. We were leaving the hotel we were in, and would not have wifi access on the train, so i emailed early. I did not get a response even after asking my brother in South Africa to log into my email and resend emails while we were on the train. There was no response and therefore no transfer from the train station. After being accosted at the station by taxi drivers, we get to the hotel and the whole place is closed in the front. The main entrance to the hotel is thought the restaurant, we had to walk down a dark dodgy looking side street to get in.

We were told that the email was down for the day, but the next day we were told that the woman who looks at the emails had the day off. Bad luck I suppose, but a terrible start to our experience there. The first room we were shown was not cleaned, the beds were not even made! We asked for a clean room, which we then got. By this time we were fuming, but it was late, so we stayed the night.

Not responding to emails, being difficult to access at night, and even getting shown a dirty room, could all have been forgiven at a price of USD 25 maybe, but when you are being charged USD 42, it is unacceptable! Great staff does not compensate for the hotels inadequacy.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zane U
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I want to live here....need I say more!

This hotel is located just outside the main town of Hoi An and was a short walk to the center. However the excellent location was made exceptional by the quality of service. Nothing here was too much trouble and I was greeted by Yummy and her team of wonderful receptionists that always took the time to learn everyone's names and use them.

Checking in was made to feel like I was staying at a home stay rather than a hotel as there was a real sense of community here where I felt like I was being welcomed to their home.

Initially I was shown to the family room as the guests in the room i should have been in had decided to stay an extra night and I can see why. This room would have been perfect for a family with more than enough space for 4 or 5 people. The double room I moved to the next day was equally as lovely with a balcony. Both rooms were large and had full air con, comfy beds and good facilities. The hotel was quiet and I never heard the people to either side of me in either of the rooms that I was in during my stay.

What made this hotel so exceptional that several friends I met on the trip came and stayed here too was the service. Restaurant recommendations were exceptional in terms of quality and local produce and the receptionists including Yummy, Ana and Anhngoc gave good advice on tours in the local area. They helped me to book a private motorbike tour with Vuong, find a tailor (Hai Au have their own, reviewed separately), rent me a bike to go to the beach, and even helped me change my flights with Jetstar (not easy apparently) when I decided HCMC could wait an extra day so I could stay longer. Ana runs a local spa and this proved to be exceptional too.

The breakfast was also good with local dishes and more western choices available. I still have a craving for the mango pancakes...

Yes this review sounds like I'm gushing but in all honesty everything was exceptional and I will definitely stay here when I come back and I'll recommend this to everyone i meet

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Zoprof
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and two days right before the holidays, and had a great experience. Being greeted with fresh fruit (for free!) and cold water in the 90+ degree weather was amazing to say the very least.

We didn't spend a whole lot of time at the hotel, as most of our days were consumed with shopping/exploring the town.

The rooms are clean, spacious, and well-equipped with all the necessities. The beds were hard as rocks, but it wasn't the end of the world by any means. Oh- and there were even full mosquito nets, which I found impressive since I haven't really seen them at other more budget places.

The food was great (and cheap), which was a plus considering the convenience. Breakfast was included- highly recommend the mango and banana pancakes, they're both to die for.

The front desk also arranged our airport transportation back to Danang, we only had to pay 18 bucks for nearly an hour journey, much cheaper than our way in.

Location was good, not right in the heart of all busyness, but only a buck or two for a cab (if its raining), otherwise a lovely 15 min stroll.

Recommend doing shopping in the markets, as the prices are WAY cheaper than the shops right next to the hotel. But, that's kind of a given I suppose. Again, the markets are only about 5-10 mins away (walking), nothing too far at all.

Overall great experience here. That, in part, is thanks to the magic of the town, as well. Hands down our favorite place in Vietnam. The people are lovely, hilarious, and kind. Crime is seemingly nonexistent, and the atmosphere is practically tangible.

Lodz, Poland
Reviewed December 19, 2012

It's really nice hotel with full in-room equipment (dvd, pc, mini-bar). The staff is great and they do not only remember your name but can arrange everything from flight tickets to night dinner. At the restaurant you must try a squid in banana leaf - it's a masterpeace on Gordon Ramsey level.
They also have bikes and the location is a perfect compromise beetween sea and the city.
The windows are doubled so the do isolate every noise. Don't look for any other.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Not particularly impressed. Not sure why there are so many positive reviews.

There was exposed electrical/telephone wiring in my room in several places. The sheets and bath towels had stains on. There's wifi in the rooms, but the reception where I was staying was pretty bad. The bathroom has a very dingy feel about it. the tap for example wobbles quite a bit.

There's a computer in the room - which is quite unusual but actually quite handy. We all like friendly staff, but the staff here were too much so, a bit in your face.

Location wise - it's on a good main road in Hoi An - the road that a couple of the (supposedly) famous tailors are...Kimmys and A Dong. However, it's quite a walk to each of these places, and the main eating area - say 15 min walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo