“Great photo walk”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my photo walk today with Pieter. I was looking for someone to show me tips and tricks for approaching and photographing people. I also wanted to see how locals live, so the morning walk was perfect for me. I was worried about the difficulty of having different levels of camera knowledge on the tour, as I've been photographing for quite a long time and was hoping the tour would prove useful for me. Pieter did a nice job of balancing other peoples needs teaching them more basic camera settings and additionally providing more in-depth insights for me. Most importantly, I walked away a better photographer as a result of the tour.

All reviews
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2016

Joined this tour on a rainy December morning. Small group, with only two others. Pieter is patient at explaining methods and concepts, and went through the basics of photography in a clear and simple way. It's obvious he has a good eye - his demonstration shots were well composed and brought out unexpected details. The walk brings you through the back streets of Hoi An, just off the Old Town, and shows you the lives of the people of Hoi An in a new light. I think if you have medium skills, you may be better off taking a personal tour, as you will probably benefit more from his attention, rather than him having to divide his time amongst several persons who may have differing skills. I was also a bit disappointed that we weren't able to do the evening walk (it was replaced with the morning portrait walk), but this may have been because of the wet weather. Still, an informative stroll through Hoi An and the nuances of photography.

Reviewed December 2, 2016

Met at the coffee shop tables around 7:00am and discussed a little about setting etc. Didn't travel far from the touristy area, but definitely had a more authentic vibe. It was nice to see some areas where people were not harassing you for money. I got some really good shots, and there were a few people I wouldn't have felt comfortable approaching but Pieter was familiar with them some I took some comfort in that. If you want to spend a little money and get some good portrait shots I would definitely recommend!

Reviewed November 27, 2016

I participated Pieter's photowalk while staying in Hoi An. We had small group of different kind of photographers. It worked well, all got individual guiding from Pieter. I found tour really informative and interesting. Pieter mixed well photographing technic teaching with information about Vietnamise culture. High recommendation for walk. I would do it in first days of stay in Hoi An to have time to practise learned skills.

1  Thank Jenni K