Review Highlights
Fantastic afternoon getting to know my camera!!

As a gift for my cousins birthday I booked an afternoon with Pieter. After a little chat at a local... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
MalieMornington
Mornington
via mobile
First rate experience

I had an excellent time with Pieter. We went out on 3 outings together, and I can fully endorse his... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

from $30.00
from $63.00
from $6.00
More Info
All reviews camera settings photo walk experienced photographer street photography shutter speed technical aspects great morning great images love photography great shots night photography tour photo shoots great tour a great learning experience vietnamese culture showed how skill level
Selected filters
Reviewed November 21, 2016 via mobile

Thank you Pieter for an informative and educational tour this morning.

I certainly enjoyed your encyclopaedic knowledge of photography skills and your help improving my rusty composition techniques...

I thoroughly recommend Pieter as an excellent, genial and intelligent guide, both to Hoi An and improving your photography.

Reviewed November 16, 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I had an informative and interesting time learning about low light photography and exploring the "ancient town" of Hoi An. We took some amazing photos and learned the nuances of shutter speed, aperture, composition and ISO. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and great at explaining different photographic concepts. I hope to take the morning tour before heading back to Saigon.

Reviewed November 13, 2016 via mobile

I did a morning tour with Pieter in a small group and it was really excellent and I learned about my camera and enjoyed the tour, it added a lot of my vacation, I feel that now I'm better in controlls the camera and takes good pictures. This experience recommended to anyone who wants to know how to use his camera.

Reviewed November 12, 2016

I really enjoyed the photographic walk with Pieter yesterday. There were 3 of us in the group with varying knowledge, equipment and languages but he kept us all involved and engaged for the full 4 hours.
We explored streets and alleyways that most tourists would not know about so we photographed ordinary people going about their daily lives away from the tourist crowds.
Pieter gave us great advice on where to find interesting images and how to be successful in taking the shots. His knowledge, experience and contacts gave us the opportunity to photograph some very interesting people. The highlight being a lovely lady with ankle length hair who was happy to pose whilst we tried to take the perfect picture. I think we all managed to get a few great shots of her!
Brilliant.
I would certainly do it again and strongly recommend the walk to anybody even slightly interested in improving their photography.

Reviewed October 10, 2016

The tour I did with Pieter started with a coffee at 7am. I was initially a bit dismayed that my fellow participants needed to spend time on the exposure triangle and other basic concepts, but soon relaxed into the gentle pace of the workshop. Pieter spends a lot of time pointing out objects one could photograph -- little details and so on that one might otherwise miss. What I found more interesting was spending time in (for example) an ally where a colourful wall might provide a great backdrop for (for example) a kid passing by on a bike or an old woman in a conical hat. "Loitering" with that intent is a very different way of taking photographs, and one that I am drawn to. I also benefited hugely from Pieter's sage advice on approaching and photographing people (though the people we encountered on this walk were all familiar with Pieter and his students, so I have yet to test his methods in the "real" world. I came away with some nice shots of people, but they are almost identical to others' shots who have done the same walk.). The 4 hours does not really provide sufficient time for Pieter to get to know his participants' skills (and anyway, we didn't bring along laptops with our work to date), so it's hard to tailor the walk to the individual participants. As a result Pieter's delivery can sometimes feel more like a lecture on photo basics than a tutorial, but that's OK. I still came away glad that I did this, and would have enrolled in one of Pieter's other walks had I had the chance while in Hoi An. I also believe that Pieter sincerely wants his participants to get value and to learn and grown.

Date of experience: October 2016