“Walking photo tour and lesson.”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed December 14, 2015

Saw Pieters reviews on trip advisor and compared that with the many negative 'no show' reviews from the other company so that's why I chose him. I arrived 10min early and he was already there! Pieter was very attentive to our needs ( there were 2 clients ) and dealt with each issue very professionally and knowledgeably. I personally gained the confidence and skills required to take portraits of strangers thanks to his tips and techniques ( so much more practical than reading about it in a book ) Still have a way to go with this but by the end of the tour I was comfortable engaging victims, I mean subjects... and getting great results. Lots of top advice on settings, composure etc etc. I thought I knew a lot of this struff already but I gained so much from this experience that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Pieter to all levels of photographer from novice to seasoned intermediate like me. I'm sure I will progress hugely from the course and the advice. Don't be put off if you only have a point and shoot. The lady with me on this tour had one of these and she had a great experience too. Ps. None of my photos are edited in any way - I don't have my laptop with me but probably won't change them anyway. We'll see when they are on the big screen!

5  Thank jsnowybear
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2015 via mobile

Did this tour 10 days or so ago, so a bit of a belated review. Met at an outdoor cafe with Pieter and the rest of the small group for the photo walk (just 2 others plus Pieter, a nice size group). Started off talking a bit about camera settings, then started the walk. Pieter seemed like a really relaxed, approachable guy and had lots of good advice re. photography but also about photographing people, etiquette in Vietnam re. approaching people, etc. Got several portraits I am quite happy with, and met some nice people :)

3  Thank Shelley L
Reviewed December 1, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I went on a morning tour with Pieter through the back alleys of Hoi An. He taught us about some of the most important camera settings. As I am not new to photography I didn't learn much from this session but the tour was still very helpful. He gave us very useful tips to use in street photography, such as how to act, how to approach people, what to look for etc. This tour is for beginners as well as seasoned photographers.

1  Thank SaemiVald
Reviewed November 19, 2015

Pieter was very insightful and knowledgable in the expertise of photography. He gave my group and I a lot of useful information for both DSLR and iPhone users. I enjoyed going through the back alleyways of Hoi An, away from the tourists and seeing a lot of true Vietnamese culture. Thank you Pieter :)

1  Thank Alanah V