“Hoi An Photo Tour”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed August 13, 2015

I was only visiting Hoi An for a short space of time and wanted to make the most of it. My interest is people, cultures and photography. I discovered Hoi An Photo Walks/Tours online.
What better way to serve my interests all in one go by attending one of Pieters' tours.
Pieter is very experienced and knowledgeable in the people, culture and photography. He ensured I had a good understanding on the many functions of my camera and practical tips of how I could improve the images.
The group was small so ample opportunities to learn as you go.
I spent the whole day on two tours, the morning tour was a walk in the backstreets and alleys of Hoi An away from the scores of tourists. This was focussed on portrait images. I found the people very friendly and was nervously allowed to approach them very closely using some useful words and tips given by Pieter.
The second tour in the afternoon was on one of the surrounding islands only a short ferry trip away; this focussed on farming, landscapes and boatyards also some low light photography.
Pieter is very patient and explains things in simple terms without the jargon.
A fantastic experience and learning for me that I will remember and use wherever I go. Very pleased with my results too from the images captured.
I recommend this to keen photographers no matter what camera you use, there is always something to learn to improve your skills.

4  Thank Papa V
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2015

Very good communication by email with Pieter and only booked the your the day before.there were 3 students on the course.
I did the afternoon countryside tour and Pieter took the time to explain about camera settings over a cold drink in a local bar.
We then took a local ferry to a local island where Pieter explained how to take pictures of locals, we tried in the local boat yard and then moved to the streets and then farm land. Pieter was helpful with his suggestions of unique photo opportunities as well as suggesting settings to improve your photo quality.
I consider myself a novice with so much to learn but am aware of aperture and shutter speed settings.
Finally we returned to Hoi an for some low light photography using manual setting - all new to me, so great
If you would like to improve your camera skills this is highly recommended but you do really need a SLR camera.

3  Thank The_hammonds_11
Reviewed August 5, 2015

First of all, before booking this tour be aware that Pieter is not going to take you to the most "photogenic" spots in Hoi An that adorn every postcard. Thats not the focus of this tour. Its more to teach you about how to use your camera settings and how to stroll around the backstreets looking for more unusual and unique photo opportunities, with lots of tips for how to compose shots and how to approach people in such a way that they might be more willing to be photographed. Pieter has lived in Vietnam a number of years and so knows a lot about the culture and how to apply that knowledge to getting a good shot. The tips he provides are very useful and can be applied in other locations and situations in Vietnam or indeed in any country. Hes a very good communicator and explains concepts and techniques very clearly. Recommended.

4  Thank DanielWestern
Reviewed August 3, 2015 via mobile

Just did a morning photo walk with Pieter. Lots of info provided in a low key manner with lots of patience. This morning's walk focussed mainly on portraiture and the alleys and other small streets that we travelled provided lots of material. I am a beginner in terms of using manual settings on my camera and the material covered was at a level that I could understand and put to the test right away. If you like taking photos & want more unique opportunities to do so, sign up for one of these walks!

1  Thank Canadian_Pam
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2015

I did two photo tours with Pieter: one was a photo walk through Hoi An itself and the second was an excursion to a neighboring island to observe ship builders and farmers at work. Pieter's familiarity with the local community encouraged me to go for shots I wouldn't have attempted to take otherwise. I came back with a portfolio of portraits and street scenes that represent my favorite images from my Vietnam trip. I have posted them here:

My first tour was solo and the second was with another photographer, but on both Pieter gave me the room and time to get the shots I wanted and I never felt like I was being hustled along. Pieter clearly has experience working with different levels of photographers and I think his instruction is most beneficial to those who value introductory information while his choice of locations is beneficial to all levels. For small tours or 1:1 walks, I recommend that Pieter request and the photographer send a gallery of representative work or desired images so expectations can be set.

For me, I had a great time and would definitely approach Pieter again if I return to the area. There should be more tours like his around the world.

3  Thank wander-explore