“Very helpful street photography walk”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed August 5, 2015

First of all, before booking this tour be aware that Pieter is not going to take you to the most "photogenic" spots in Hoi An that adorn every postcard. Thats not the focus of this tour. Its more to teach you about how to use your camera settings and how to stroll around the backstreets looking for more unusual and unique photo opportunities, with lots of tips for how to compose shots and how to approach people in such a way that they might be more willing to be photographed. Pieter has lived in Vietnam a number of years and so knows a lot about the culture and how to apply that knowledge to getting a good shot. The tips he provides are very useful and can be applied in other locations and situations in Vietnam or indeed in any country. Hes a very good communicator and explains concepts and techniques very clearly. Recommended.

4  Thank DanielWestern
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2015 via mobile

Just did a morning photo walk with Pieter. Lots of info provided in a low key manner with lots of patience. This morning's walk focussed mainly on portraiture and the alleys and other small streets that we travelled provided lots of material. I am a beginner in terms of using manual settings on my camera and the material covered was at a level that I could understand and put to the test right away. If you like taking photos & want more unique opportunities to do so, sign up for one of these walks!

1  Thank Canadian_Pam
Reviewed August 1, 2015

I did two photo tours with Pieter: one was a photo walk through Hoi An itself and the second was an excursion to a neighboring island to observe ship builders and farmers at work. Pieter's familiarity with the local community encouraged me to go for shots I wouldn't have attempted to take otherwise. I came back with a portfolio of portraits and street scenes that represent my favorite images from my Vietnam trip. I have posted them here:

My first tour was solo and the second was with another photographer, but on both Pieter gave me the room and time to get the shots I wanted and I never felt like I was being hustled along. Pieter clearly has experience working with different levels of photographers and I think his instruction is most beneficial to those who value introductory information while his choice of locations is beneficial to all levels. For small tours or 1:1 walks, I recommend that Pieter request and the photographer send a gallery of representative work or desired images so expectations can be set.

For me, I had a great time and would definitely approach Pieter again if I return to the area. There should be more tours like his around the world.

3  Thank wander-explore
Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

Pieter took our booking at short notice, patiently answered all our questions and was happy to cater the tour to personal preferences. We asked many questions he was happy to answer, not just about photography, but also about Vietnamese culture and general life in hoi an. He took us to a lovely part of hoi an away from the tourist areas we had mainly been exploring. I would highly recommend this tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2015

We arranged a private tour for my 13 year old son, as Pieter did not have a regular tour available on the day. There were no regrets. The tour focussed on the alleys and backchats of Hoi An, with a focus on portraits. The pre-tour briefing provided a good opportunity for Pieter to talk my son through a variety of topics relating to photography, which was very helpful. The best of the experience, though, was exploring the alleyways that are off the tourist grid. My son got some excellent photos and both of us thoroughly enjoyed the time exploring with Pieter. Well worth it.

1  Thank Chris C