“Opportunities for photos I would never have had otherwise!”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed August 1, 2015

I did two photo tours with Pieter: one was a photo walk through Hoi An itself and the second was an excursion to a neighboring island to observe ship builders and farmers at work. Pieter's familiarity with the local community encouraged me to go for shots I wouldn't have attempted to take otherwise. I came back with a portfolio of portraits and street scenes that represent my favorite images from my Vietnam trip. I have posted them here:

My first tour was solo and the second was with another photographer, but on both Pieter gave me the room and time to get the shots I wanted and I never felt like I was being hustled along. Pieter clearly has experience working with different levels of photographers and I think his instruction is most beneficial to those who value introductory information while his choice of locations is beneficial to all levels. For small tours or 1:1 walks, I recommend that Pieter request and the photographer send a gallery of representative work or desired images so expectations can be set.

For me, I had a great time and would definitely approach Pieter again if I return to the area. There should be more tours like his around the world.

3  Thank wander-explore
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

Pieter took our booking at short notice, patiently answered all our questions and was happy to cater the tour to personal preferences. We asked many questions he was happy to answer, not just about photography, but also about Vietnamese culture and general life in hoi an. He took us to a lovely part of hoi an away from the tourist areas we had mainly been exploring. I would highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed July 11, 2015

We arranged a private tour for my 13 year old son, as Pieter did not have a regular tour available on the day. There were no regrets. The tour focussed on the alleys and backchats of Hoi An, with a focus on portraits. The pre-tour briefing provided a good opportunity for Pieter to talk my son through a variety of topics relating to photography, which was very helpful. The best of the experience, though, was exploring the alleyways that are off the tourist grid. My son got some excellent photos and both of us thoroughly enjoyed the time exploring with Pieter. Well worth it.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed July 6, 2015

Pieter was quitely patient with the two of us attending the tour. We enjoyed the ferry ride to photograph the countryside and learn tips for getting the best out of your subjects - relaxing and building a relationship with people before you took photos, etc.

As well as techinical tips - we discovered my Canon G12 camera was faulty at low light settings so I didn't get to try all the manual settings. Pieter's information was all very accurate and helpful and he was generous with his time. I highly recommend this tour for both entry and experienced photographers..

1  Thank LennyPeni
See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2015 via mobile

The tour (city walk) was perfect for me as a beginner (having no knowledge about camera settings at all). Also i don't have the best camera - which was no problem as long as you have some basic settings.

The three of us sat down in a nice corner cafe for about an hour to talk about basic settings - it was really informative and helpful (you will get a file with a summary via mail after the tour).

Then we started walking around in small alleys (away from the tourist crowds) to put our newly gained knowledge into practice.
It was so much fun - especially taking pictures of Vietnamese people.

Pieter is such a nice guy (he helped us arrange a transport for the next day) and you can see that he wants you to take away as much as possible (i guess he extended the tour for about an hour) - ask as many stupid questions as you want :-)

Before we finished we sat down in the cafe to do a short recap and cool down with iced coffee.

I definitely recommend Pieter's photo walks for people who have an interest in taking nice(r) pictures though never had the time to really learn what all the small letters on the camera mean :-)

I belisve even if you have already figured out the basics/ or are a more advanced photographer, the people Pieter introduces you to and the alleys you will see, are worth booking the tour.

1  Thank Teresa H