“The best $35 you'll spend..!!”
Review of Hoi An Photo Walks

Hoi An Photo Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Photo Walks runs photo tours for all who want to learn more about cameras and photography. The tours are in English and Dutch and are for both beginners and more advanced photographers. On most tours you can bring any camera, even an iPhone. While visiting interesting places that will give you an insight into Vietnamese life, you will learn many things such as camera settings, light, composition, seeing photographically and anything you'd like to know more about. The pace of our tours is relaxed, friendly and informative. Learn how to get closer to the locals, how to interact with them and take the photos you always dreamed about. This is your chance to ask all your questions to a pro and to learn new skills that will last for a lifetime. The tours are led by locally based professional photographer Pieter Janssen. He lives in Vietnam since 2005, is an experienced instructor and will provide you personal, easy to understand, tuition and information.
Reviewed May 13, 2015

Took part in the morning tour with Pieter today. Started at 7am and finished up between 10.30 and 11am. I learnt more about how to use my camera in that time than I have in 3 years of owning it!! Pieter took us ( 5 on the tour) through the side alleys of Hoi An only a few blocks from the heart of the tourist area, but we may as well have been miles away. He took time instructing each of us in how to set up our photos, look around to see what we want to include and exclude, shifting our position or the position of our subject matter to get the best shot. Instructing us on how to get photos of the local people - how to approach them and interact. I am travelling solo so this was great that I could join with other solo travellers to take part in this tour. Be aware - there must be at least 3 people booked for the tour to operate but I was able to put my name down and Pieter emailed me to confirm there was sufficient numbers to go ahead a couple of days in advance.. Thank you so much Pieter for a great morning - and for the cold drinks on a very hot morning..!! Thoroughly recommend Pieter's tours.

All reviews
"great insight"
"ask questions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 9, 2015

Pieter and I had a private session for a couple of hours walking through the side alleys around Hoi An where I think few tourists take the time to wander but where you can really get a feel for and even interact with local residents of Hoi An.

Pieter not only helped me find these areas but to try different approaches for getting someone to allow you to photograph them. He is also highly knowledgeable in use of DSLR cameras and what settings are best in different situations.

If you want to explore a different side of Hoi An, I recommend doing a tour with Pieter!

Reviewed April 23, 2015

I have about 5 years' experience with shooting my DSLR, including one night photography workshop previously, and this was by far the highlight of my visit to Hoi An. I found the town during the day to be overrun with tourists, but by night the lantern and candle light created such a beautiful scene!

We (there were only 2 photographers in our group!) met up around sunset at a coffee shop to briefly review camera settings for shooting in low light, then ventured through the alleys and streets to capture moments, people, shops, lanterns, candles, the Japanese Bridge, and even a couple having wedding pictures taken! I always have more to learn, so Pieter's guidance with composition, technical aspects/settings, etc was greatly appreciated, and he had a tripod I rented for just $5 since I wasn't lugging mine all over SE Asia.

Highly recommended for those who already are somewhat familiar venturing out of auto mode on your digital cameras. It's a great way to see the town from a different perspective and keep improving your skills at photography.

Reviewed April 21, 2015

I went on the afternoon walking tour with Pieter a few weeks ago and it was exactly what I expected and more. A good few hours away from the bustle of Hoi An in the more rural areas. We were asked our level of competency and expectations at then headed off on the boat. Pieter was very knowledgeable both on the local area and photography and I got some really great shots. I read about the tour late on a Wednesday afternoon and within 10 minutes of sending an email was booked on for the next day. Great service and thank you!

1  Thank katie229
See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2015

Did the morning tour with Pieter recently. Small group of 5 slowly walking the back streets just away from the usual Hoi An old town. First hour spent talking about settings and composition then next few hours spent wandering the streets at a slow and steady pace. Instruction given on life in Vietnam and how to approach locals to photograph. This takes courage and a bit of boldness which I personally lack in but it's up to you to decide how you wish to approach this issue.
Pieter is open to any questions you might have but this tour isn't like a one on one tutorial showing what to do. He does offer private tuition though if this is what you need and probably what I should have done.
This was an insightful tour which I'd happily recommend to photographers of most levels.