“very relaxing”

Ranked #51 of 152 Hotels in Hoi An
Hervey Bay, Australia
“very relaxing”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Big resort, very quiet while we were there. Right on the river and 10 mins walk to the Old Town, but only 5 mins walk to the best food in town, just round the corner!!
Helpful, friendly staff. Staying with another family with 3 kids in separate room, and had good availablity so moved us all to 3 rooms next to each other. Smaller pool of the 2 available right outside our rooms. Great for the kids with us, and for adults too due to the very hot days!
HUGE rooms with a balcony on the river side. Quite dark though, and needed lights during the day. Beautifully presented, very comfortable and private.
Restaurant/drinks pricey, but easy to get own drinks for fridge and plenty of places to eat in town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This was truly the best part of our trip, we stayed for 4 nights and all 7 of us loved it, we had no complaints about the food, the service or the amenities. Like a lot of other people we used the services of the lovely ladies across the road for our laundry and they did a fantastic job.

It is so easy to get around this delightful town with the old and new, the taylors, the cobblers just everytning in general was great.

We had 2 tours out of Hoi An, one was to my son and then a boat trip afterwards which was really interesting altho it was extremely hot which was quite uncomfortable but still wqorth the effort. The other tour was by motorbike 150km trek around the countryside with an Expat Aussie who was also the owner it was just amazing . Well worth the day out of shopping.

We have nothing but wonderful memories of this amazing resort, the staff and the beautiful Hoi An. Thank you

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Batemans Bay, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We stayed at the Vinh Hung Resort in April 2010 in a deluxe river view room. The Resort was in a good position, close to town , the pool was nice an free internet was handy. Our first room had hardly any furniture - fine if you wanted to have a Chinese tea party. We asked to be moved to a room with more "western" furniture, so we could at least sit in a chair. The second room we were moved to had heavily ornate mother of peal timber furniture without any cushions so we couldn't confortably use this either. The boats on the river were noisy. Stay here for location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed in a riverview deluxe room for 3 nights late March/early April after being picked up at the airport by the hotel driver which I would recommend, except that the driver insisted in broken english that we have a look at Marble Mountain on the way and take photos. I said ok, and we ended up at a marble shop of sorts where the driver sat and had cigarettes with his friends while we were taken on a mini tour of the establishment and were then expected to make a purchase. I refused politely and sought out the driver and we were on our way again. The hotel itself was nice in appearance and the pool was large and very clean, the staff were pleasant and the housekeeping staff and gardening staff were very friendly. The room at first sight was lovely, but then on closer inspection found a few flaws ...... ie like the electric shock off the bedside lamp and another lamp at the other end of the room. The bathroom door didnt shut and the safe didnt work. Also the wireless internet didnt work in the room only in the restaurant and bar. There was no hot water on one morning of our stay, and on another occasion when we went to used the in room spa bath, the hot water ran out after a few minutes so we were not able to use the spa during our stay unless we wanted it cold. The shower was actually in the spa bath and there were no steps into the spa from the floor which was 800mm above the ground which was a little dangerous manouevouring with wet feet, and the shower head was broken so that the water sprayed straight down. The walk into the old town was very pleasant and we had Mrs Chau immediately outside the hotel do our laundry at $US1/kg which included washing, drying, and ironing. Bargain. The breakfast at the hotel was average at best and as mentioned previously, the food was mostly cold and not very appealing. The outdoor bar was very pleasant and reasonably priced and the staff were lovely. The hotel is nice and almost good, but needs money spent on it to become good or better. But we found this was the case a lot in Vietnam. Having said that, I'd stay there again in preference to staying at any of the hotels at the beach at Cui Dai. Hoi An is brilliant and shouldnt be missed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MollyColly
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, for 5 nights in room 708 - double deluxe facing onto the river - I noticed some rooms on the river were only 2 single beds, so make sure to ask if you want double bed.
I found the best price through HotelClub.com, $110 per night incl breakfast.

Pros:
- free wifi in room, signal a little weak at times but it worked when we needed it. There is a business centre with computers.
- the mini-bar isn't a rip off. 20,000D for a 1L of water - the lady selling it 300 metres up the road towards town on the same side as the hotel is lovely and only charges 10,000D.
- really quiet location, on a side street and a 5 minute walk to the bridge across to the old town.
- really quiet and lovely decorated rooms (dispite the front door being opposite the pool), no pool noise except when a group of kids on school camp was staying one night!). There was some motor noise river traffic every morning about 7am with commuters, but it was fine.The only annoying noise was the hum of the next rooms air con duct through our wall when trying to get to sleep- our room was on the end so had an external wall which they put ours and their unit, I guess rather than have it outside on each balcony which would have been more annoying if you were sitting outside. It just sounded like the aircon was on in our room, even when it wasn't, not noisy, just distracting.
- I stuck my head around other rooms being cleaned, and the rooms on the other side of the pool (#300 range, #400 range, and #603) were smaller but identical decorations and quality except they didn't have the fancy lampshades or view. We'd stay in one, but make sure you ask for double bed, as some rooms were just 2 singles.
- free 'country market' every afternoon at 4.30 - they cooked hoian rice pancakes and other specialities, and had noodle soup, sweet dessert soups, and mini cakes to sample. It was our dinner the first night as we arrived tierd! Usually enough seats and food to go around, and no pressuring for drink sales from the bar next to it which was good! It was the same food every night though, so we only went twice.
- very friendly staff, not as polished or 'after a tip' attitude like we experienced at Chen La resort on Phu Quoc island. Enough english to get by.
- big pool with a spa that seemed only to go on after about 4pm?. Lots of deck chairs, and people didn't 'save' their seat for later by claiming it with a book. The temp were a really hot dry heat from about lunch time till 4pm, so after struggling though it in town one day we hung around the pool in the afternoons and recharged.

Cons:
Breakfast was a false impression for us; looks like lots and lots of food, but it was always cold no matter how early we got there (I pointed out the burner had gone out to the staff the first day, then gave up), the rice congee tasted like they'd used local water not bottled water, not nice. The fresh fruit was nice and the made to order eggs and the cereal, not many people seemed to eat the extra fancy mini cakes, my husband said they tasted dry. The juice wasn't fresh-squeezed, but there was still a variety. I was not impressed they couldn't provide me with some soy milk for cereal, seeing as we had 5 more breakfasts there and were in the most expensive room; I found some in a mini convienance shop in the old town, 5 small primas for 20,000D (only $1.20!!!!!!) so used that. We didn't eat dinner there, the restaurant was always pretty empty.
- Don't bother with the massage service. I paid $25 for an asian massage, and endured 45 minutes of a loud ticking clock and musty smelling towls in a prison cell sized room! My husband could have done the same job as the guy who massaged me. And to make it worse, I'd ordered a rock stone massage over the phone and corfirmed this when I walked in - I kept waiting for the rocks to start, but after that experience I'm glad I saved the extra $5 and 45 minutes!!!
- complimentry toiletires didn't include a comb, which I didn't like. and although they cleaned the bathroom, there was always a feint smell of urine from the toilet, not a just cleaned smell.

But these cons are just the 'extras', the hotel was a great place to stay, and we were glad we weren't in the old or new town, it added to our experience of Hoi An.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wiki-bec
brisbane australia
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We stayed here in two river rooms in the middle of March. The place is nice enough but the river boats (with no exhaust mufflers) come in close right in front of the rooms from about 6.00am. Also the hotel was building a rock wall only one meter away from one of our rooms. So this is not the place to try and have a sleep.

And the hotel tried to rip us by wanting to charge us 600,000 VND to arrange a Mai Linh taxi to Da Nang Airport. We had a chat to a Mai Linh driver in the town and he agreed to take us for 300,000 VND. All the hotel had to do was make a phone call and for this is they wanted nearly 300,000VND ! Not the way to help a guest.

The coup de gras occurred when we were all in the taxi and about to catch our next flight and one of the staff came out and demanded money for 3 items in the mini bar that we did not use. I had replaced the items the previous day and this had been verified by a maid when I was in the room. I had paid the bill the night before we left to avoid any delays and it was confirmed to me that I had replaced the items I had used and there was nothing owing - "mini bar ok - no charge ". I told the person who confronted me that she was wrong and told her to go and look in the fridge now. I was absolutely furious and said I would go back to the room with her. Unfortunately one of our party then paid this fictitious amount, about $ 4.50 US for 3 small 3 cans, 2 beer and 1 coke, which is not at all cheap by Vietnamese standards. So I was not able to call her bluff.

Vinh Hing Resort obviously thinks a guest is easy meat for this type of scam when you are in a taxi enroute to catch a plane. Their timing was perfect.

So if you want to be insulted, ripped off and treated like a criminal, the Vinh Hung Resort is the place to stay !!

2 Thank paulo556
HAVN, General Manager at Vinh Hung Riverside Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Dear Paulo556,

First of all I would like to thank you for your stay with us and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
We are sorry if the construction of the wall next to the resort and your room caused you any problems, we tried to do the work late in the morning and in the afternoon so the guests would be disturbed as little as possible. The construction took only a couple of days and had to be done to keep out the noise from outside the resort.

I have asked the receptionists what happened when you tried to book a taxi to the airport and apparently there was a misunderstanding: When the reception in the resort organizes a car to the airport for you it will be a private car, not a taxi, which will cost you more, we can also call a Mai Linh taxi for you for which you will not be charged by us, you will pay directly to the taxi driver.

What happened at checking out with your mini-bar bill is unfortunately a misunderstanding or miss communication from my staff. However I would like it to be clear that this is not a scam from the resort to get easy money from people trying to catch a plane. If this would happen regularly I am sure you would not have been the only person complaining about this.
Once more I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay with us.
I hope the rest of your trip was without any further problems.

Yours sincerely,

General manager of Vinh Hung Resort
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Hubby and I stayed at the Vinh Hung Resort for 2 nights in early March. We had a regular room on the upper floor, which was really huge. We liked the fact that the hotel was a bit further out from town (but still less than a 10 minute walk), and extremely quiet.
The rate included a very nice buffet breakfast, and 24/7 internet in a room next to the reception. The gardens and the pool were very pleasant, I even managed to use the pool on the 2nd evening at 7pm, which was a great relief from walking around the town in the heat most of the day. The late afternoon free tasting of local delicacies while sitting near the bar on the lawn was a great idea, and very tasty. We were impressed that the staff remembered we were vegetarian and kept us away from things we couldn't eat.
The only minor problem I had was that the beds were very hard (as were the beds in almost all hotels we stayed in in Vietnam).
I was sorry that we only stayed here 2 nights and one day - it would have been nice to relax there for another day or two.

1 Thank debi_zyx