“Unfortunately, a bad review for this hotel”

Pho Hoi Riverside Resort
Ranked #122 of 170 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We booked our room directly with the hotel via e-mail for 4 nights. We booked a bungalow with adjoining rooms (for my wife's parents) overlooking the river. On arrival, they told us that the bungalow wasn't available. Despite me having a copy of the e-mail from their sales manager that showed they had confirmed our booking of a river view bungalow, the staff insisted that all were booked out. They put us in an upstairs Japanese room (adjoining) and tried their best to convince us that these rooms were better than the bungalows we had booked. The Japanese rooms were spacious, that's about all I could say positively about this hotel. The beds in these rooms were like sleeping on concrete. We stayed one night at Pho Hoi and that was only because we couldn't move out earlier. The next day, we moved to the River Beach Hotel which was fantastic. What else was bad about this hotel? The pool temperature was so warm, it was like being in a luke warm bath. I note previous reviews about this hotel having to put ice in the pool to cool it down. Well they mustn't have had any ice available because it was too warm to swim in, but not for the drunken yobbo's jumping around in the pool at about 2am. They made so much noise, it was impossible to sleep because our room looked directly over the pool. Where was the security staff when you needed them?? Not to mention the noise from traffic starting about 5am from a road (laneway) just outside our rear window. I note there are other comments on trip advisor about this hotel not delivering on what people had booked. I would definitely not stay at this hotel and strongly recommend others to overlook it. There are many better hotels around.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Asho55

Reviewed August 26, 2008

This hotel is good value for money compared to other resorts near by. The location is perfect for walking distance to food, shops and markets. It is about 10minute ride on a scooter or taxi to the beach. The resort is old and tired on the outside with a very basic pool area. The reception and restaurant however are of nice presentation. The rooms are spacious and are modern. The showers however are not very good for western standards! None of the staff speak english so its impossible to communicate!!!!!!! The food and beverages have limtied selection, along with the buffett breakfast and in my opinion poor quality for the price paid. I would stay here again simply for the location and price, but not for luxury or service standards!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chantellek
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed at the Pho Hoi Riverside Hotel for 5 consecutive nights. The location and views of the river are a plus, as are the well tended gardens. On hot days, the management even put large ice cubes in the swimming pool to cool the water- something I've never seen before. From the start, hotel staff tried to whisper "secret" places for clothing or tours, other than the hotel services. There was an uncomfortable conspiratorial tone to many staff interactions. The restaurant was simply awful. Expensive and poor quality. Get your meals on the outside instead of paying $2.00 for a tiny bowl of plain rice. It gets worse from there. The final insult was a huge fuss about a laundry bill at check out time. We had paid the bill ($8.00) to the night clerk when we picked up our things. This staff member did not record the payment and the junior management was offensive and aggressive with us. We asked to speak with the manager and suddenly nobody could speak English. There are so many positive options in Hoi-an. We would never stay at this place again. If you do, be sure to ask for and save any receipts. Let the staff know you're not interested in their "under the table" dealings and expect to be cheated and stonewalled at check out.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2008

On our trip through Vietnam we stayed at many hotels, mainly chosen from Tripadvisor. Most were very good to excellent so we were very happy about how helpful Tripadvisor really is!
This hotel however was the worst hotel we stayed at and it definately wasn't the cheapest.
The staff were very dry and unfriendly at the front desk when we checked in.
All other staff besides the young ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful.
The Bungalow room we stayed in was reasonably clean but had an old dirty feeling to it.
My girlfriend got bitten by bed bugs whilst we stayed there which was very upsetting considering we stayed at plenty of hotels that were a quarter of the price and had no issues like this.
We didn't have a minibar pricelist in our room but decided to drink the water from the fridge which was generally around 8000-10000 dong at all the other hotels we stayed at. When we went to check out they tried to charge something ridiculous like 30000 per bottle. Even though it wasn't alot of money we were a bit pissed off that they didn't put a pricelist in our room. We were there 2 nights so the cleaners/maids should have realised by the second day of cleaning that it was missing.
The restaurant on the premise also had very average food.

The only good thing about staying at this hotel was that out the front of it near the end of the bridge was a really nice Vietnamese woman who sold cigarettes and drinks that rented us scooters for 2 days. She was very warm,friendly and sincere. We were really glad to meet her and would recommend to hire scooters from her to anyone.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank randomtraveller74
Reviewed April 24, 2008

very nice resort, only a 10 minute walk to old town. rooms are clean, service staff is well trained and friendly.

BUT:

aware from taking another room then the bungalows. they are partly very loud because of a little street in the back and a newly constructed house. they start working at 6 am :-))

aware from reconfirming your flights in the hotel. they charge u money ( the first hotel in our life, where we had that !!! ) it´s only 600 VND, what is a piece of nothing .... but is that service behaviour ??

Even if they are asking five minutes later if we are able to bring the manager with our personally rented airport transfer car to DNG which is 30km from HoiAn. Free of charge, sure... This guy was not able to say thank you when we left the car at the airport !!!

all in all: nice located hotel when u have the right room , nice service staff but a horrible management service behaviour

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank TravelsMainz
Reviewed April 20, 2008

The location of this hotel was brilliant - close to the action but just far enough away for peace and quiet.

Now for the negatives:

Even though we confirmed our booking on the day of arrival, when we got to the hotel our room was not available (Executive Japanese Room). We were told that we could switch to our room the following day, but not given an explanation as to why our room was not available.

We were shown to another room which was in the old hotel section, not in the resort - and pretty crappy. Whilst it was big and generally clean, it was old and smelled like mothballs.

The next day we were told that our room was not available on arrival because it had lost power - not sure if this was true or they had just given it away, but we gave them the benefit of the doubt.

When we finally got into a Japanese room it was ok, but not as good as I expected for the price. I did make them change the shower curtin as it was all mouldy. They happilly changed it to a slightly less mouldy one! The rest of the room was pretty nice, but the mattress was fairly basic.

Oh, and the jacuzi that is listed on the website apparently hasn't been working for a year - so if this matters to you, don't hold your breath.

The day before we were due to check-out one of the reception staff asked what time we would be leaving, as she had someone that wanted the room. I asked her what time they wanted it, and she said 6 or 7am! I told her that we wouldn't be leaving until at least 11am, and she tried to make me feel guilty and said that the other guest would be very angry!!!

With a smile on my face I told her that was a shame!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bristraveller
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Just back from Hoi An midway down the coast of Vietnam.
Old houses and I mean old which appealed to me as I love old rustic ,unmodernised and not over restored.Charming and memorable.
The weather was unseasonably cold ,but that was the case all over the region. We stayed at the Pho Hoi Riverside hotel I would give it 5-6 out of 10 .Musty rooms ,but quite well appointed .Great pool shallow but sparkling -water and weather prohibitive.Breakfast varied but got better on the day Tet ended,We had the suite which was 2 large interconnecting rooms and bathrooms but take some 100 watt lightbulbs and the showers over the bath (good hot water and pressure though) wet the whole slippery floor. OK satellite tv a few English channels.Staff pretty laid back and not too motivated but it could have been that we were there during Tet ,the Lunar New Year holiday, which meant many shops , tourist sites, restaurants etc were closed down for several days.The best hotel locations were back over the bridge from us and to the right around the Memory Cafe and Ha An hotel -I forget the street name .
The food is just plain amazing as I speak I am existing on fruit to get my waist line back. Only had one crook meal and that quite passable any where else! Simply amazing ,and cheap! This is a poor country, the streets are dusty in the Old Town and not easy on anyone who isn't surefooted.
Standout attractions and events:
The Red bridge restaurant cooking classes-fantastic , inclused scenic boatride ,snappy market tour ,hilarious and naughty chef/instructor and great food cooked by your own fair hands and others .Total price $18. Do not miss this even if you don't cook as a hobby. Fun!
Hue - a long day trip or overnight for the restaurants ,the Citadel (old palace compound; not much left but I loved it) the Imperial Tombs the Dong Ma markets.i strongly suggest you remember to check the tyres on your driver's car ,as I failed to do -i have never seen such baldies in my life. Scary.
Shopping for silk and tailoring - No 50 Le Loi my best bet for tailors.
Beauty Spa and massage -there is a street of these places on the way out of town .Na is one good one.
Eating of course. Anywhere really.
The old houses and tours in the main streets.
The Japanese bridge.
marble Mountain - when you have ordered your 10 foot high marble lions to be crated and shipped home...well ,really beautiful stuff though and do keep walking and climbing up to the pagodas and t temples with views out to the coast. Wonderful!The old ladies will show you how to light incense and venerate your ancestors or whoever. I loved it.
Not so great;
Sorry but I thought the Cham relics at My Son were a bit of a frost - especially if you have seen Angkor or Bali .These were small in scale , it was hard to get a sense of what they were about for my money not well signposted or labelled and a bit too much 'American War' firepower has damaged it pretty extensively and don't go by big tour bus-interminable, hire a car instead. Surly operators ,well the ones used by Pho Hoi Hotel anyway.Seek out the tour businesses elsewhere in Hoi An .Like next to the Banana Split cafe or along from there..lots of testimonials to Mr Tuyen in texta but view the car first....
Forget the boat tour of the carpet ,carpentry ,and pottery villages.Not a happy experience and not much more than a dusty ,depressing shopping scam .The highlight was a brief turn on the pottery wheel - very funny.
I suggest you don't go during Tet really overall I would have to say.Like Australia during Xmas New Year-well ,not as deserted though!

3  Thank Paddy M