“Cooking class at Van Loi Hotel”
Review of Van Loi Hotel

Van Loi Hotel
Ranked #85 of 152 Hotels in Hoi An
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Cooking class at Van Loi Hotel”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Value for money this was the best cooking class that we have been to. We began with a boat ride to the markets for fresh produce and a tour of the markets. Fresh vegetables, meat and seafood were purchased for our cooking class. What a magic experience!! We thoroughly enjoyed walking through the markets and seeing how fresh our ingredients were. While we waited for a boat to the hotel we were given a sugar cane drink. Back at the hotel we were taught how to chop and slice the ingredients for our meals. Spring rolls were first on the list. They were easy to make under the expert chefs. We then prepared Braised Pork, Banh Xeo, vietnamese pancakes which were delicious. We finished with Bo, an avocado based drink which was very unique and invigorating. All this for $25.00! The cooking class was very hands on and the chef had a wonderful sense of humour. Miss Ly and Miss Vy were most helpful at the market and during the class. We would thoroughly recommend the cooking class.
Note - you do not have to stay at the hotel to do this cooking class.
Reg and Cheryl - 29 March 2014

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have spent two nights in Van Loi Hotel. The friendly staff is very helpful and supportive. Restaraunt has a great view. Food is not too expensive either. But be prepared to wait a little longer for food to arrive just like anywhere else in Vietnam.

My room was right above the pool and the bar. Since the room was not noise proof, I had a little difficulty in getting some quiet time till about 12am. It is a family friendly hotel and very much closer to the market, bank, other eating places.

Can't forget the small tailoring shop next to it. I got two dresses made and it is much cheaper and good quality compared to the shops in the town. The owners are very helpful and oblidge to your requests.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool and the bar might be better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked for three nights and ended up staying for two weeks because we were so happy at this hotel. The staff were consistently polite, friendly and helpful - they found us a kettle because the one from our room was missing and they found us an extension lead so that we could both use our laptops at the same time, all within minutes of arriving.

The room was well decorated, clean and had a pleasant view over the pool and a nice balcony. We were well supplied with toiletries and drinking water and the staff cleaned our room efficiently every day.

The breakfast was buffet style including fresh fruit daily and a mixture of Western and Asian food including eggs cooked on demand. Unlimited tea and coffee, and all served in a spacious rooftop restaurant with lovely views across the island and river.

The location is convenient for all the ancient sights and monuments, the main shopping streets, restaurants and across the road from a bike hire. The pool is clean and well maintained.

I definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again if we visit Hoi An again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Alexandra-Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I Stayed here on a contiki tour. The rooms are everything you need with a small balcony. Clean and comfortable. The pool is lovely and the attaching eight ball table was welcomed by myself and friends along with the bar. I spent some time with Lilly at the day spa. Please go say hello! one of the nicest ladies I've meet whilst being in Viet Nam. The hotel is very convenient to town. Just rent a bicycle and you'll be there in 2 minutes. Hoi An is beautiful and i have the fondest memories from this hotel, spa and town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights during a Contiki trip in which we spent time in Hoi An, which has now become one of my favorite visited cities on the planet. Without going on a diatribe about how perfect this city is, I have to attribute much of my dream-like stay in this town to the hotel as well.

Check in was straight forward. My room had a beautiful balcony view of the swimming pool and the room itself was quite spacious, very clean, and had ice cold air conditioning which was a must for Hoi An at the time of year I went (April). The room came with a safe, as well as the usual Vietbnamese hotel accoutrements of a toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was updated and very clean.

One small complaint - my key never worked. I had to always ask a worker to unlock my door for me because there was some sort of trick to turning the key the right way. Can't say that was enjoyable when I was in a rush to go to the bathroom! But overall, this is a small point.

The breakfast is included and is on the rooftop deck, which gives you a splendid view of the lush, green countryside. The food selection itself was surprisingly vast and included your standard toast, to an omelet station. I was impressed and satisfied. The location of the hotel is quite good as well, mind you, everything is walking distance. This hotel is just across the bridge from the main small town which is super rustic and which makes you feel like you literally stepped back in time, about 100 years back in time, the moment you walk across the bridge.

There is a great and cheap laundry service down the street as well as a moped rental. I won't even get into how gorgeous the city is. For those who don't like stairs, which this hotel has a lot of, fortunately there is an elevator. It is a very rustic and romantic hotel and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
nyc
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with a group. Myself and one of the other girls had to get our room changed bc of the strong smell of mold. Definitely do not stay in rooms 101 and 102 by the pool. Wifi doesn't work in room. Walking distance to everything. Has an on site spa. Breakfast was ok. Outside of hotel was nice but rooms were very old. Wouldn't recommend

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I love coming to this Hotel, were the staff treat you like there family, everthing is first class they even gave me a birthday cake, have been out to dinner with them, miss Lee at the reception is the warmist person you will ever meety my wife & I went out with her & her family, we have been to there homes for dinner everthing you will love these people, they ring me when I go back to Australia to make sure I had e safe trip

Room Tip: stay as long as you can & savor every moment
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family