“Horrible! Ladies across the road was the best thing!”
Review of Van Loi Hotel

Van Loi Hotel
Ranked #97 of 163 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Horrible hotel. Can hear every single noise made is this place. Very noisy staff and the pool area created a lot of noise that travelled up into our room. You can hear every door being opened or closed and don't expect a good nights Sleep at all. They didn't get our booking so chucked us into a dirty room with no hot water for our first night. Then moved us the second day. Staff seem ok but limited English for reception staff. Security doesn't seem very secure. Found staff laying on guests beds watching tv while they where meant to be cleaning them. Breakfast was very basic, I suggest eating in town. Female manager seemed nice. Floors outside of rooms around hotel were extremely dirty. Best thing about this hotel is the lovely ladies renting out bikes and doing laundry across the road! They were lovely and very kind!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2014

RATS are just not my thing and to see them running around the pool/bar area is just a vision I cannot get out of my head. I do not understand some of the reviews on TA about this place. As we were leaving the hotel I did find it interesting the staff came up to me and was asking me to write a 'glowing' review on the hotel on trip advisor and bookings.com. So I have left this review for a few months to try and be as objective and honest about this hotel as I can. We were part of an organised tour and I'm very disappointed in the travel agent booking this hotel for us. I have visited Hoi An 3 times and there is much better quality and standards of hotels available in this price bracket. The hotel did not feel safe, the security was inconsistent and many locals not staying in the hotel were walking in and out and around the hotel. We were short a room and needed a room for part of our tour group and despite availability for a room being available on expedia, bookings.com, agoda etc they front reception would not sell a room. I had to 'store' luggage at my expense at a hotel near by and come back to the hotel at 6 pm to try and get a room. Which by this point had become available. VERY stressful when you are travelling with a group and this hotel obviously specialises in group tours. I also found it extremely frustrating a room was available to sell but even though I was standing at reception in the hotel they would not sell a walk in room for the night, despite 7 other rooms being booked in the hotel with our tour group. Interestingly enough the staff seemed to have many of the rooms for their own space at least 2-3 rooms which in High season could be used as guest rooms. Finally the room I received stunk of cigarette smoke (not good if you are an asthmatic), had no electrical points that worked and the existing ones there were burnt out. None of the bedside lamps worked. The next day I asked reception to move rooms and they just starred at me blankly. I asked for the manager-they asked why and denied a manager being on site. I basically begged, the manager came. I got to move rooms. The manager seemed nice and was willing to help. Unlike front desk staff. The second room was better it had one electrical point that worked, the shower didn't- I was there only one more night I'd live. I agree with one of the previous reviews that I found it strange that staff would sleep in blankets on the floor in the corridors. Breakfast was very average and had just enough to start you off for the day but was nothing substantial. Overall I have travelled in budget accommodation before but this was the poorest standard of any hotel I have experienced in Asia. The final guest appearances of Rats around the pool area just highlighted to be the type of hotel we were in and as said previously the Melbourne based travel agency we used could really offer alternatives to tour groups in Hoi An.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had an excellent night at this hotel. It was very peaceful, staff were helpful and spoke English. We had a spacious and comfortable room with an excellent bathroom. Check out was 12 pm. The buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. We had a lovely room with a balcony which got amazing afternoon sun.
Good buffet breakfast with eggs cooked your way when you want them.
Miss Ly is amazing. She recommended a tailor to us and we are so happy with the quality and the price was fair.

Would definitely stay here when we return to Hoi An in the future.

Tip - get a room on the front side of the hotel because the wireless signal is better there. We could only get wireless in our bathroom!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonh_Luong, Manager at Van Loi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Writer,

Ms Ly and all staff of Van Loi feel very encouraged & motivated with your GREAT comments on everything during your recent stay with us and we can't be complacent, but still have a long way to go and our aim is to make any single guests who select our Van Loi as home away from home..

We look forward with pleasure to welcoming you & your friends back with us in the coming time.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for four nights it was perfect for many reason being away from the market area was a bonus. it was quiet throughout the day breakfast was amazing, great selection. We were invited to the local New Years celebration which was very entertaining with a great range of food. I must make special mention for Mrs Ly the front desk manager who was very helpful from the very start she was always at the front desk happy to arrange private tours for great prices. Nothing seemed to much always greater you with a smile and never required a room number when you collected the key. I arrived after traveling on a sleeping bus for 24 hours at 0800 Ms Ly took care of my bags should us up to breakfast and had room ready for check in by the time we had finished for no extra cost great start to our holiday thank you so much

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonh_Luong, Manager at Van Loi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Reviewed December 31, 2013

If it wasn't for my lousy neighbors, it would have been perfect. I had a room with a balcony and pool view. Regrettably, these rooms have connecting doors, so you ear all the noise from the adjacent room, but other than that the hotel is perfect ! Well located, not in the "busy area" so you do not get bothered by all the honking noise, yet close enough to benefit from all the advantages of the old town. And the staff is just wonderful, especially Miss Ly ! So I recommend it highly !

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view are very nice but depending on neighbors, can be noisy
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The last review i find unbelievable. I stayed at Van Loi at the same time,still here and i am loving it. The peoplr who wrote that review seem crazy to me... they want cheap accommodation but expect 10*. Yes there has been a bit of noise, but it is the OFF season and they are working hard on improvements which is good to see. The rooms are big and spacious and with flat tv with satellite if you are bored. Tuyen has such a lovely smile ...Ly is always helpful and Hong presides over reception with knowledgable authority. Nothing is too much for them. The cleaning staff are so friendly. Breakfast on the top floor is wide and varied.Fron pho to cornflakes (and even cocopops for the kids).
I highly recommend this hotel.... ignore the bah humbugs who wrote and thankfully left before.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Writer,

Ly ,Tuyen ,Hong and all staff of Van Loi feel very encouraged & motivated with your GREAT comments on everything during your recent stay with us and we can't be complacent, but still have a long way to go and our aim is to make any single guests who select our Van Loi as home away from home..