“Life Changing”

Museum of Trade Ceramics
Ranked #60 of 128 things to do in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An flourished from the 16th to 18th century largely due to its export of ceramics, the history of which is chronicled in this museum.
Strathaven, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Life Changing”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

It was with great scorn that I was dragged into this museum by my trade ceramic-daft friend. My protestations about how boring this place would be fell on deaf-ears and I eventually spent one of my 5 precious site tickets on what I thought would be one of the worst experience of my life.

How wrong I was.

I would liken my first step into this museum as similar to the first step into a giant cathedral. A deep, ethereal feeling of something much greater than myself fell upon my shoulders. The beauty of the place, the exquisite exhibits, the informative yet charming plaques; everything was perfect. I spent the best part of 4 hours pouring over every facet of this ceramic utopia, making sure to photo each detail no-matter how minimal it may have first appeared.

There was a hole in my life once my belief in Christianity faltered, a feeling that I was lost; directionless, in a busy and unforgiving life. That hole as been filled with trade-ceramics and, with God as my witness, I pledge to devote my life to the study and appreciation of these stunning pieces.

Now I truly know what it is to feel alive.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank bullywee

• Korean first
Dusseldorf, Germany
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“The house itself is more interesting than the ceramics”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Well, everything is in the title. Like most other places in Hoi An that require a ticket to enter, it's quite small and quickly visited. A few old ceramics (a lot broken), nothing breathtaking though.

Visited November 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Take guide in avance”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Well, this museum will be interesting for you only if you have at least minimal understanding in archaeology and geografy. Othervise it will be just broken pots. Exhibition is well supported by maps, illustrations etc., but part of material is available in vietnamese only.

Visited September 2013
Perth, Australia
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Small, quick visit only”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Some interesting information about the trading history of Hoi An but nothing that takes much time to look at. If you're interested in other attractions I wouldn't use one of your tokens on this one.

Visited September 2013
Bangkok
187 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“Nice house, a bunch of broken pots, and no caretaker!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place is supposed to cost 10 000 dong but the museum caretaker is nowhere to be seen! The house itself is quite charming, but the displays consist of many cases filled with old and broken clay items from Hoi An's past. Unfortunately, it is less exciting than it sounds as the displays are poorly put together.

Visited April 2013