“Like you imagine a busy south East Asian market to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Central Market

and up
Full-Day Cycling Tour From Hoi An City
Ranked #18 of 120 things to do in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: The fresh fish dock and the affordable silk tailors are some high points of this thriving all-day market.
Leeds, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Like you imagine a busy south East Asian market to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

It's noisy, hot, manic, and smelly. But not in a bad way. A visit to the market is the perfect way to 'shock immerse' yourself into the vietnamese way of life. You see the country at its relaxed best, eating, drinking, and watching the local foods, behaviours, and peccadillos of the vietnamese. I love to visit markets on my travels, they are the beating heart of the city in which they exist. A microcosm of the personality of the people and area in which they are situated. It's a must visit.

Visited June 2013

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hoi An market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hoi An was one of my (and my husband's) favorite places in Vietnam. Beautiful and friendly, with a no-motor vehicle section in the old city, where all the businesses hang traditional silk lanterns from their porches or open windows. Walking around in the evening, as the lanterns start to be lit and then making your way down to the waterfront to watch the floating candles start to be set off down the river is phenomenal. The city market is right on the waterfront and is a wonderful place to stroll around and have a snack, or look for a good bargain. Be ready to haggle, but good prices can be found :) Would recommend Hoi An to any level of traveler, intrepid or pampered. There is something for everyone in amazing Hoi An!

Visited March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“scam warning beauty treatments at Hoi An markets”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Beware a women callers Doa she is located at Bach Dang beside the river at the markets, she is very friendly and starts with simple conversation with an offer of $2 manicure . She literally drags you down a small off street room and starts with offers to tidy up brows by threading, then rough skin removal from feet. During this time hubby headed off. When she finished 15 minutes later she was demanding 1,300,000 van. I said l didn't even have that much and tried haggling. Then l arealised she he had cunningly moved my Samsung tablet to other side of the room and she grabbed it and held it up. I paid the money demanded and got out of there with my tablet in tact. Hoi An is a beautiful place but this experience soured our stay.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank ricsuz
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Best place for crispy bánh xèo or a nice bowl of cao lầu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been to Hoi An a couple of time and I kept going back to these two food stalls at the Central Market.

One belongs to this lady who sells bánh xèo, a crispy pancake filled with bean sprouts, shrimp and pork, and served with rice paper and fresh greens. It's easy to recognize even if you don't speak Vietnamese: there will be a series of tiny cast iron pans, each sizzling with the batter to make the crispiest, tastiest pancakes you'll ever have.

The other stall is on one of the corners, and if I'm not mistaken the lady is called Thu Hà. She has awesome cao lầu, which is a thick kind of noodles (as thick as udon) with fresh herbs, some sauce (not soup!) and tender slices of pork, plus some crispy things for texture.

Their dishes were amazing and in my last trip my friends and I decided to come back to the cao lầu stall to eat it again before leaving. It was memorable!

Also, one of my friends was a vegetarian, and she was happy to find out that both ladies were willing to make vegetarian versions of their dishes. Even if you don't know how to say that in Vietnamese, a simple "no meat" seemed to suffice.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank cutia
wellington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hoi An - market rip off”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very much enjoyed markets - however our experience was soured by an unpleasant experience of being ripped off by a lady performing 'threading' services.....whilst buying something minor my girlfriend was persuaded into an off street room (1st mistake!) for some 'beauty' therapy. It consisted of some threading of eye brows, face & under arm. The lady was so pleasant (cunning) that we didn't established the price at the onset (2nd & biggest mistake). After 30 minutes we were given a bill for 800,000 VND which I haggled down to 480k VND. I politely expressed my disgusted at her tactics and told her she wasn't doing the image of Hoi An any good. We are 2 weeks into our holiday of Vietnam and it was a 'wake up' call. I travel extensively through Asia and consider myself savvy in such matters. I guess I have let my guard down a little too much after enjoying 2 weeks of honest & very friendly service. Hoi An is a must seen but it is the most touristry place in vietnam and some of the operators have evolved accordingly.....

Visited August 2013