“Ok hotel”
Review of Hotel Hai Yen

Hotel Hai Yen
Ranked #122 of 163 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The location is very good. If you stay for a couple of days this is a fairly good hotel, but when staying longer, as I did, you really get to see all the things that needs to get fixed in this place.

The staff is very nice, but sometimes they do not undertand what the problem is when you ask them to fix somthing. They say that they will fix it, but they do not always do so. Our sink started leeking at one point and they just put some tape on it. In my room the waterheater fell down from the wall and almost flooded my room. That they fixed because they had to. But my friend had several problems with her aircon, they "solved" the problem by turning it off and then on aigain. This did not fix the aircon, but after trying many times she just gave up. The drain in her shower was clogged, they never fixed it. The roomes are not very cleen... Next to my bed the wall looked like if was moulded..

They restaurant is not always open even if it is supposed be so. The staff usually just sit in the restaurant watching tv...

All in all, it is nice for a couple of days, and when in Hoi An you do not want to sit in your hotel room all day anyway!

And the pool is nice!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I wasn't expecting much (we were traveling through Hoi An as part of a budget tour) and was very surprised by the Hai Yen. Firstly great location with a selection of places to eat around and only about ten mins walk to the old town. Plus the pool was fantastic.

Another thing I really liked was that they had the option of refilling your drink bottles for a small fee. As I hate the thought of leaving all the plastic from the required bottled water behind me, this was a great alternative. And saved money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HenriJane
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our room hadn't been cleaned in months, I'm sure. We walked in and the soap bar was open and used on the side of the sink, there was sand all over the floor, ants everywhere, stains on the bed cover and on the walls. bird droppings on the cupboard. The only redeeming feature of this very outdated hotel was the pool and the little courtyard where you can sit and have breakfast. Otherwise the breakfast is also very poor, there is very little so if you decide to come down at nine everything is finished. We really aren't fussy people but this was really the limit.

Room Tip: None of the rooms from what I could see had any sort of decent views. From what I heard from the ot...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was sleeping literally two hours ago and woke up to (a maintenance worker?) hammering immediately outside my room at 7:44am. I stormed into the hallway an was actually nit the only guest to do so, to give the group of housekeeper and hammer wielding guy a thorough what-the-Hell?! Look. Things quieted down until 9:30 before the housekeepers congregated once more to chat loudly in Vietnamese, prompting this review. I'm not sure they are aware that guests (try to) sleep at hotels. Also, I have found about five ants on the sheets during this stay and will be checking out asap.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 30, 2012

A really nice old style hotel close to everything in Hoi An, a couple of good cafes close by, and an easy walk to everything, Bike hire available, pushbikes, or motorcycles, clean and comfortable, and the pool a bonus to cool down after all that Hoi An shopping

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gems151
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Our stay in hoi an was wonderful. Everybody in the town made us feel most welcome. However this was not the case at this hotel. Double check when booking a room with breakfast included, because you may not get it. When we checked into our room we had to ask for the dirty towels from the previous occupants be changed and the rubbish removed. The single glass in our room was sticky and dirty. The pool is clean and quite pleasant and some rooms have good views. Empty cans, bottles and glasses accumulated around the pool were not cleared for the 3 days we spent here. All in all an unsatisfactory experience.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Morffydd
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My sister, my dad and myself woke up with very interesting welts on the areas of exposed skin. My poor dad sleeps shirtless, so you can imagine the damage. Also, my little cousin in the adjacent room was also attacked. Do not stay in room S1, which is the suite. Decked out quite nicely with antiquities, including wooden armchairs and a coffee table. However, the sheets had that sheets-havent-been-washed oily smell, they were yellow, and some of the mismatched pillows appeared like they came from the local $2 shop (a la Hello Kitty). There was that mould smell in the main living area, which then shifted to a sewage smell as we entered the bathroom. The shower sprinkle trickled water, cold water, that is. Hot water does not exist. Initially, I thought that suite seemed abit abandoned, and I'm guessing it is one of those big family rooms that people don't stay in so they don't clean it as much. It was very dusty as well. My aunts stayed in a room on the ground floor, where one entire wall had a large mould-infested wet stain which appeared to have been very badly covered up with paint. This room was overwhelming with the smell of that mould. My aunt managed a broken 5 hours sleep as the smell was so bad. We didn't complain because it was cheap and we assumed this was what cheap accommodation was like. However, we have since then been to other hotels of similar price range, which have been very good. My one star goes to location. But please be very wary of this hotel. I noticed that there was an Intrepid group staying there. I hope they are OK! When I did Intrepid 2 years back, we stayed at Phu Thinh 2, which was just down the road. That was nice!

Room Tip: Use this website to look at reviews. And look at recent ones!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family