“Great Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 152 Hotels in Hoi An
Sydney, Australia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Hoi an for a total of three days. The hotel is located far enough away from the main town to be quiet enough to sleep. Staff were polite and very helpful. Room was fantastic, clean and super modern.. The free shuttle to town is a great extra.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dansea12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Essence was amazing. It was the best accomodation that we picked over our whole stay in Vietnam, and we had quite the range. To begin with, the service was incredible. Everything you would expect from a high class resort. The property was stunning with gorgeous gardens, nice spa, big swimming pool/jacuzzi. The food at the restaurant was fine dining. And my gosh, the breakfast buffet. Incredible! Our room was spacious with a view of the property. The hotel offered free bikes to use and made the 4 minute trip into town very convenient. Picture being amongst the beautiful countryside with an array of wildlife being heard from your room. Such a memorable experience. Our 4 night stay was ridiculously well priced for what we got.

1 Thank Clair S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Essence Hoi An the 25th through 29th of Dec '13. The rooms are spacious, clean, and very modern with comfortable beds and nice large rain showers. The hotel is slightly out of the way compared to others - about 7-8 min walk to the main shopping area and about 10-15 min to the center of town. However since taxi's are only $1-2, the fact that it is away from the hustle and bustle makes it a nice place to escape to after a day of exploring Hoi An.

The hotel is choc-full of amenities - there is a great pool area as well as a nice game lounge complete with pool table, foosball, and board games. The hotel has a very comprehensive on-premise spa that includes jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and baths. The spa was much nicer in comparison to the other spa's we visited while in Hoi An.

Breakfast was plentiful and provided a range of typical asian, european and western food options... although we found it odd that you had to pay extra for a Vietnamese coffee.

All in all a great place to stay and we would absolutely return the next time we are in Hoi An!

3 Thank ACatInLondon
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel on outskirts of Hoi an. Free bike rental made it a short ride to the central district. The rooms were clean and staff extremely helpful. The Buffett was beautifully done and nice to start the morning. Overall a great experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Edwellons
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had two wonderful nights at the Essence, we tried to stay for another four but unfortunately they were booked out which is amazing as it it nearly brand new.
Our room had a stunning view over the rice paddies next door and gave the feeling of being in a far more rural area.
The location is just a ten minute walk out of Hoi An or a couple of minuets by bike.
I very much look forward to return got the Essence in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David O
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2014

When I knew I was visiting Hoi An with friends over New Year I wanted to book Essence which was sold out at the time. I was delighted to later discover some rooms freed up so booked it and so glad I did. What a beautiful hotel, warm welcome, lovely people, great food, perfect setting and added bonus of being very reasonably priced. Felt like we had walked into a little haven, not overly big just perfect size for a short break, it's also in the old quarter and very close to the town of Hoi an, walk or bike ride away. The team were so helpful at all times could not have done more for us which made it hard to leave but I certainly hope to return very soon.

Room Tip: Go for a delux or family room, it's only an extra 20 dollars and you get an extra bed, more sp...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aileen M
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed spending our wedding anniversary at the Essence Hotel. This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere.The pool though we did not use it because of the cool weather looked beautiful. We did enjoy sitting by the pool in the evenings having a cocktail. The grounds were so peaceful and the pool table outside was a great feature. Working at a hotel myself I think we could learn alot by this hotel and how well it runs. The service was fantastic. The morning we left was at 5am and there were at least 5 staff helping us, getting out to go breakfast, loading our luggage, saying good bye.....
The bikes were a great plus to have cycle to town, sometimes there were none, but then a taxi only cost about $1 -$1.50 so who can complain. The breakfast buffet was really good, plenty of fresh food, wont have a problem on filling up before you start your day.
We did find that you can hear alot in the bedroom. We were on a end room , we never the next room but we could hear from the staff staircase and from the hallway. I think if there was something in the hallway near the elevator especially to soak up some noise like a sofa or some type of carpeting. just something to soak up some of the noise then I wouldnt wake you up.I did use the spa, I only had a manicure/pedicure, I found the prices fair at the hotel not your usually high prices but a bit higher then in town. I was not so impressed with the mani/pedi. But maybe I am not one to judge since this is only my second time. But the reason why is because my fingernails were not even, I had very long nails to start with and they were all cut off so there was plenty there to make sure they were all even. Also I found the huge chair for me uncomfortable. It was not possible to lay back and relax, often you were twisted for up to 20 mins while your other hand was being done. Would have like to be able to relax while getting this done and not have to hold my leg or arms in certain positions.
Having said this I would 100% stay here again and recommand others to stay here also, the things about the spa and noise are only petty, and was not that big of an issue, but that is the reason for the 4 stars. Otherwise everything else was superb. We would love to return to Hoi An since it was our favourite place during our travels and we will stay here again.

Room Tip: staying next to the staff staircase we could hear them early in the mornings, so you may not want to...
1 Thank Rakel Á