“Doesn't deserve the negative reviews!”

Essence Hoi An Hotel & SPA
Ranked #15 of 147 Hotels in Hoi An
london
“Doesn't deserve the negative reviews!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It's a shame about the negative reviews as this is a very nice hotel. The staff are very friendly for example it was my husband's birthday and the staff presented him with a lovely birthday cake (with sing-along!) at breakfast, they had got the details from his passport as I hadn't advised them! what a lovely gesture! The location is OK but a bit of a walk from the old quarter, taxi fares are cheap enough though. Breakfast was good plenty of choice although I was disappointed that there was an extra charge for green tea! The road side room was very nice but noisy at times and the walls are thin so I would recommend a requesting a pool view. There is a good pool table and free bicycle hire- didn't have time to use the pool and gym but it looked nice.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Just excellent. Take the window room (no balcony) unless you want to look at the pool and plan to spend a lot of time in the room. Eat the banana flower salad. Order the 'welcome drink'. Use the free bicycles and the gym. And try the restaurant across the street for low priced, simple, good Vietnamese food - let them do your laundry as well, as all hand washed by the mom. Money well spent. And be sure to tip!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blittle20
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived at hoi an a day earlier than expected, due to some change in travel plans. This was no problem for the essence!! They were very kind to move our stay forward at no extra charge, as well as upgrade us to a deluxe suite due to having no superior rooms available. Throughout our 3 nights we were greeted with friendly service. This hotel is only a short bike ride (2min) to the ancient town, which the hotel supply at no cost. I very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel and if I return to hoi an I will not hesitate to stay here again. Thanks again to all the friendly staff for a wonderful stay!! Best hotel experience I have had so far on my vietnam travels.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M
Zaragoza, Spain
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We visited this hotel on the 15-17 Nov13 floods. The second day of our visit, the river dam was opened, and the street leading to the hotel was flooded with 1,5 m water. The hotel is raised from street level by some stairs, but it was not enough and the lobby was also overflooded with knee-high water.

First of all, the Essence team made an incredible effort during this time. Electricity, warm water and wifi were always available, as well as food (obviously a limited selection only). As soon as the water in the lobby had receded, they worked full time and managed to have the hotel looking like nothing had happened in less than 24 hours. Really impressive.

But sadly, it is still a fact that the hotel is placed in the flooding plain. Apparentely Hoi An is flooded around 4 times / year, and the road leading to the hotel will normally be affected. With lower floods, this can be even worse, as there would not be enough depth for boats to access the hotel and the only way to move in and out is to get into waist-deep water.

Another issue we experiened was the miscommunication during this period. The day we arrived, we were asked to go one night to another hotel in exchange to an upgrade to a Suite. The reason given was that there were no rooms available, but at that time it was already known that the hotel might be flooded (announcemets had been placed in the stairs at 11:00, we checked in at 15:00). Nothing of this was mentioned to us. The next day, when we tried to return and after paying a taxi to try to take us to the Essence (he couldn't, as the road was blocked), we were told the hotel was flooded. After some discussions, they could either not secure another hotel in the dry area as all affected hotels had already relocated their guests, or they could not agree on the conditions, and we returned to the partially undewater Essence. The staff was really helpful and accomodating, taking our luggage into boats, but had we known this earlier we would have planned things differently, e.g visiting the lower part of the city on the day it was still dry, do our (very needed) laundry in the higher part of town, change our schedule, etc...
I consider in special circumstances, both hotel and guests need to make some compromises and react accordingly, but we couldn't adjust due to the lack of information provided the day before.

A similar issue happened the last day, when we saw the menus being placed, and were told that the kitchen was working normally again. We planned to have something at the hotel that night, only to find they still had only 2 sets available. Had we known this, we would have had dinner in the city.

Other than that, the hotel is really nicely decorated, rooms are clean, breakfast good and varied and staff very helpful and friendly. I can imagine it is a nice place to stay in the dry season, but careful if they change your plans...

The Spa was also not opened when we visited, although they told us it should be opened in the next days.

2 Thank Fledermaus g
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were moved here due to the impending visit of Typhoon Haiyan which subsequently headed further north so fortunatley it missed us. The hotel is fairly new and only opened 8 months ago. The room was an excellent standard with view over the paddy fields and mountains in the distance. It is only a short walk from the river about 10-15 mins. The staff at the hotel are excellent they are pleasant and nothing is too much trouble for them. There is a small pool that is more than adequate if you wish to laze around however as there is more than enough to do in Hoi An we only spent a couple of hours around the pool. Breakfast offers a range to suit all tastes including freshly cooked omlets or pancakes.

2 Thank soupbandit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is all right, the room is an adequate size and so is the bathroom and it's super clean. The pool area is gorgeous. Breakfast is ok, not great but acceptable, though I must say the coffee is the worst I've ever had in my whole life. The common areas are nice though if it is raining there's nothing to do as, though it has the word "Spa" on its name, there isn't actually a spa in the hotel, at least not yet. Now, on to the reasons of my poor rating to this hotel. First of all, the walls are paper thin. We had a first floor bedroom on block a and could hear absolutely everything. We woke up one morning because the person in the room next to ours was having a shower!! That alone would not be so much of a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that one gets the feeling of being a walking ATM. It started when we checked in, at 11pm. The reception person checking us in asked for our passport and immediately after asked where we were going next and when we said Hue, he wanted us to book a car there. Give me a break, I'd just arrived and it was 11pm! Then, the next morning I enquired about a tour to My Son. The girl at the tour desk was vehement in saying the group tour was no good and it was much better to take the private tour (that sets you back usd 95 for two people). Luckily I was put off by the "services" offered by the hotel by then, and ended up booking both the car to Hue as well as the trip to My Son with an agent in town. On our second evening there I lost the card key to my room. Since they put a sticker in the card with the room number, we thought it wise, for safety reasons, to get a new card done. I was in dismay when told they would charge USD 5 for a new card!!!!!!!! I have never ever seen something like that before and told the staff I found that insulting! Ha? Magically the card that I'd lost appeared! Someone had found it in the pool area! Finally, upon checking out, I was counting the dollars to pay for our stay (they add a credit card fee if you pay by card, which is understandable but would be more elegant if such fee would be already included in the rate) when the girl at reception just grabbed the partial payment of me!!!! Without even giving me the chance to lay all the cash on the table. So rude, lacking manners! We were just super put off by then, we just had the feeling that hotel staff were (in this case, quite literally) money grabbers, with little regards to guests satisfaction. I was glad to leave.

The hotel itself is not bad, apart from the noise issue. However, since it is quite a fair walk to town (about 20 minutes if you are young and fit) and service is not good, I would consider other options.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sissi2702
Michelle3076
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is a very special place in Hoi An. Just 5 mins up the hill from the old town the hotel is gorgeous. Lovely rooms. Nice touches on arrival like a drink and fruit bowl. Lovely pool. Spotless. The breakfast is something special. But what stands out even more than all these posts I Nat is the attitude of the staff. Super friendly, super helpful, totally knowledgeable and intelligent. They are just wonderful and really go out of their way to help and organise events for you. Just a really really wonderful place to stay. I could have stayed there for months.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms over the pool are great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo