“Great service, nice hotel 10min from the centre”

Homeland River Homestay
Ranked #61 of 270 Hoi An B&B and Inns
“Great service, nice hotel 10min from the centre”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay. The rooms are a little bit basic but the service is great. The staff is really friendly and can help you with everything. They booked a nightbus for us to Dalat for a good price. The nightbus departed around 17:30 so we went to see Hoi An during the day. When we came back to the hotel we could take shower before leaving with the nightbus which was realy nice, even though we had already checked out.
The breakfast is also really good (Try the noodle soup) and they have a nice little patio in front of the hotel where you can relax.
Great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Lovely and peaceful place to stay, several of the rooms have balconies over the river. Free bikes mean the centre of hoi an is accessible in 10 mins, but you also get a lovely street of local restaurants and cafes if you want to eat with the locals. Family are lovely and always ready to help if needed. Breakfast included and was very tasty. Clean and well looked after rooms with big high ceilings. So nice we stayed an extra night.

• Stayed August 2013
Wales
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

It's location means that it is very quiet and good for relaxing, although it is about 20-30 minute walk to the main town.

The free use of bikes is brilliant and means you can explore the surrounding countryside and villages.

Breakfast was nice and we could take it back to our room or sit in the courtyard.

The wifi was disappointing, very intermittent even on the desktops. We stayed on the third floor where the water pressure was terrible and the hot water none existent.

When we had a problem with the overnight bus company we had independantly booked with, the owner helped us out and looked after us well. Even though he doesn't speak much English and is difficult to understand.

• Stayed July 2013
Beijing, China
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I came to Hoi An from Hanoi and didn't have a hotel reservation. The bus dropped me off well away from the city center (not that I knew at this point where the center is). So I crossed the big bridge, wondered around the sleepy village on the island and was lucky enough to come by this place.They were fully booked for the foreseeable future, but were nice enough to offer me a hammock in the yard (for a laughable price). The weather was great and my budget was tight, so overall that was an excellent deal. I ended up staying for 5 days and was treated as a family member. I fed the birds and the fishes (they have two birds at the time of writing and the fish are uncountable), played with the kids (smaller kids are not around the house most of the time, the elder son helps to run the business and is mostly into racing games), was often invited to share meals and generally had a fun time.
As the other people here say, it takes about 10-15 min to get to most places in Hoi An by bicycle (which are freely available for the guests). Alternatively, you can get a scooter for a day, brand new Yamahas. The owner rides a custom Honda chopper, but i'm afraid you can't get that one. If you just need a quick ride to town, the chances are that someone will just give you a ride. The family members don't speak much English, but this was never a real problem. They also have a receptionist during the day who does speak English (sort of). The house itself is new, was constructed earlier this year, all the standart facilities you would expect.
Overall, it was a very peaceful and enjoyable stay, warmly recommended.

Room Tip: The hammock beats any room, but not good for couples :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I chose this guesthouse because it is on an island very close to Hoi An, but away from the heavily touristed center. They provide free bikes to get to the center (about 5 minute ride), which also lets you explore that charming island, and get to the beach. The rooms with the view of the river are worth the extra money.

The staff was great. Ms. Trang and her sister Ang went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable, helping me with a number of special requests. They are kind, gracious and speak excellent English. The rest of the staff were helpful, but their English is minimal,

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
HK
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed in Homeland River Homestay for 3 days alone in early April. My stay COULD have been great but the owner of the Homestay, a mid-aged local man who speaks little English, has ruined my whole experience here.

Basically I like the place. It's clean, quiet and tranquil. Staff are friendly too. But on the 2nd night of my stay, I was using computer in the living room at ground floor. The wife of the owner went out. The owner came sit next to me, smiled and said "you, me, sleep". Then he pointed at me, himself and pointed up to my room and he did the sleeping gesture. I was scared and I pretended that I did not understand. I went up to my room and locked the door. It was about 9:30 pm.

Later that night at about 11:30 pm, he knocked on my door. I was scared and I did not open it. He knocked on the door again, I finally opened the door as I was worried that he may open the door with key. I saw him at the door, with a can of coke in hand to invite me. I said "no, thanks" and I immediately closed the door.

From this on, I did not talk to him again. Although he speaks little English, I don't think I have misunderstood him. It was quite clear what he wanted. I felt really insecure. I am very angry too. I did not give any signals that I would allow this, and I did not dress inappropriately. I don't know why he dare to propose such thing. Afterall, he's married, his wife and his kids are living there too!!!! I feel bad for his wife too for having such a husband!!!!

I like the place, but the owner has ruined my experience. I would NOT recommend any female travellers who are travelling alone, especially Asians, to stay there.

Room Tip: Female travellers travelling alone should make sure that you lock your room's door well at night...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
25 Thank doriswy
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay there! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We had a room with a balcony and a beautiful river view! Although the English knowledge of the staff is not perfect, we always found a way to communicate. The staff is very helpful and friendly....thank you very much! Another advantage: free bicycles and motorbike rental for few dollars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Muriel1981
Đạt H, Manager at Homeland River Homestay, responded to this review, February 19, 2017
Hi! Thanks for your comment! Wish you have a nice holiday ! (^ ^)
See you again!