“A 'rustic' dining experience”

Baby Mustard Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 754 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in Tra Que vegetable village,a traditional village near Hoi An old town with two amazing views: the poetic river and the beautiful garden, Baby Mustard restaurant is a bamboo and coconut leaves house close to nature. We offer the Vietnamese village cuisine with many dishes are only found in our restaurant. Welcome to BABY MUSTARD RESTAURANT!
“A 'rustic' dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am absolutely surprised that this is the #1 restaurant in Hoi An. It certainly is a unique experience and some of our dishes were interesting and enjoyable, but there is no way this is the best restaurant in Hoi An.

It is important for people to know that it is a cab ride out of town, set in a rural environment where you dine under an open air bamboo pavilion that is on the family's property, alongside the lovely herb gardens. The herbs used are fresh - you will see the cooks walk out into the garden to pick them. BUT, at dusk in Vietnam alongside a garden, there are BUGS. At one point in our meal, something landed on me and startled me so much that my chopsticks went flying across the pavilion. Rather embarrassing. I felt that while I was eating, I was being eaten myself. Not my idea of a relaxing dining experience! But then I am a city girl so yes, I enjoyed the novelty but no, I would not go back. The food was fresh and one of the dishes was particularly interesting because of the fresh herbs used, but otherwise, I thought the food was good, not thrilling. My husband and I have returned to Hoi An a second year in a row BECAUSE of the food and this was not up to thrill level we have had at other restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank greenways2

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Nanaimo, Canada
“not quite what we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went as a group of 6 people, having read the great reviews on Trip Advisor (it is #1 in Hoi An). The gardens were beautiful and we were given a tour of them which was very nice. The meals were more expensive than we expected and the portions were very small. The food came at very different times - one person ordered the set meal, which came once 3 people had almost finished their meals. We ordered 2 dishes and were planning to share them - the 2nd dish seemed to have been forgotten so came quite late. We received one bowl of rice for all 6 people and had to ask for more - which was provided, but was a little late to have with the meal. The service was average and we often had to flag them down to ask for what we wanted including more beverages. It was not particularly busy the night we were there and there seemed to be many people working there (in kitchen). It is a bit out of the way to get to, which adds some expense. We very much appreciated the bug spray provided when we arrived - we all went home with bites nonetheless. The food was very tasty and the set meal looked especially good, with many and varied courses. If we went back would order the set meal - honestly not sure what all the other reviewers experienced as could not rate this as more than an average experience. We wondered if many who reviewed also took cooking class which would offer a more intimate and different experience...mostly left wondering how this got #1 rating.

Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“A dining experience we will never forget!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We heard about Baby Mustard from other tourists staying at our hotel & so made the effort to make a booking and find our way out there by taxi. This was no mean feat as the taxi driver got lost in the market garden town, down narrow one way streets! But thanks to google maps on my phone & the taxi driver getting directions from the lovely restaurant owner over the phone, we eventually made it! We were the only people dining there that night as the restaurant is still fairly new & definitely wouldn't get walk in traffic due to its location. The restaurant itself is an open air bamboo pagoda set in a delightful garden, between 2 houses and surrounded by market gardens. The young lady who owns & runs the restaurant with several members of her family who are all celebrated chefs, was extremely welcoming and helpful. The food was among the best we have ever eaten. The food was all prepared from scratch using the freshest possible ingredients, picked fresh from the herb & vegetable gardens as we ordered! The flavours and freshness of the food was amazing. The staff were so knowledgeable and friendly. It almost felt like we were the guests of honour at a family dinner. I would highly recommend dining here and heard wonderful things about the cooking classes here too, but unfortunately we had pre booked our cooking lessons elsewhere. A great experience for kids and a place that even the fussiest eater will enjoy immensely!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Brooke C
Melbourne, Australia
“Most beautiful presentation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This restaurant is fabulous, super clean, wonderfully cool with fresh breezes from the garden and river, wonderful staff and most important marvelous food, which looked so good it had to be photographed. Our lunch experience was so good we returned for dinner and had the Banquet.. A word of warning, go hungry so you can enjoy the fabulous spread. Thank you Baby Mustard for a memorable last day in Hoi an

• Visited June 2013
Denver
“nice place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Lovely to sit near the gardens and watch some of the contents of your dish being freshly picked.
enjoyed the meal but not as good as I expected it to be with the high rating also a little over priced for the size of the dishes.
nice location and friendly hosts.

• Visited May 2013