“Very satisfied, no regrets staying in this hotel”

Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
Singapore, Singapore
“Very satisfied, no regrets staying in this hotel”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This lovely little hotel seems to be newly renovated - everything looks new and the lobby, restaurant and rooms were all extremely clean. Staff were very sincere, polite and attentive. Their command of English is relatively decent and they make the effort to communicate with guests whenever they can to check if we needed anything else and also in a way, to help them improve their command of English. The beds in the rooms were large and very comfortable, good bathroom amenities and room facilities, more importantly, the wifi connection in the rooms were extremely good. It is only a 5-minute walk from this hotel to the Hoi An Ancient Town and there are bicycles as well as motorbikes available for rental right next to the doorstep of the hotel. Good breakfast spread as it offered both Vietnamese and Western cuisine; there are tons of restaurants and cafes near the hotel as well. The cars used to ferry us to and fro Danang airport were new and comfortable. Even the driver made the effort to communicate with us during the journey on the road. We enjoyed our stay here very much and would definitely be back at Little Hoi An Boutique Hotel & Spa if we were to visit Hoi An again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bernicebay
Phuhao, General Manager at Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Writer,

Our "little" TEAM feel very encouraged & motivated with your GREAT comments during your recent stay with us and we still have a long way to go and our aim is to make any single guests who select our Little Hotel Chain as home away from home.

We look forward with pleasure to welcoming you & your friends back with us in the coming time.

John La

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, great location and the best friendliest staff in Vietnam. We really enjoyed our stay here. The breakfast was fabulous and the service was great. The wifi was good, and the room was nicely decorated and very clean. We had a verandah with a great view however they were building opposite over the river. Will be better views when this is finished.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judy1162
Phuhao, General Manager at Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013

Wellington, NZ
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Lovely room, nice artwork and all very new with plenty of space and everything I needed.

Classy decor and lovely building nicely furnished.

Room cleaning service was good.

Decent water pressure and plumbing.

Good wifi connection - did not drop out. Good everywhere in the hotel.

Nice beach facility and free transport. It would be helpful to have one more service around 1330 and another one around say 2000 later to pick up after dinner at the beach.

Excellent breakfast choice with something for everyone. All the food I tried was good.

Most staff were willing and friendly.

The location on An Hai is a walkable distance to Old Town and away from the noise and crowds. It takes around 10 mins. This is the side of town that is expanding and the only place to build now so be prepared to accept some mess and noise as building opposite is underway and the spare land behind the hotel is used as a bit of a dumping ground for coconuts and other things!

Locals gather next to the hotel at night for food and drinks and I found them all very friendly and bought drinks for the room from them

Nice pool area but not very private

Cons - poor spa treatment service

Took advantage of the 40% off for a one hour spa massage which was an excellent discount and I was really looking forward to it. Sadly I was very disappointed with the negligent attitude of Kim. The music was left off after one track finished so I spent the time listening to noise outside: plates clanking and street noise and people talking outside the room etc.

My treatment room opened directly into the dining courtyard area. Kim went out four times and left the door open each time with me on the bed mid-treatment. She did not lock it at any time. Indeed someone came in and talked to her during my treatment. She did say sorry about that but each time the light came in and this disturbed me.

Kim did not respect my privacy she stood there while I took my towel off and did not help to cover my modesty. She said "finish" and I had to ask her to leave in the end so that I could get dressed as again she just stood there. Maybe this passes for ok in Vietnam but in the West we like privacy and personal space.

The massage was very dry and it hurt because of that. I had to ask her to use more oil which she did once but did not continue to do so. Not enjoyable.

The massage was not fluid and continual it was very stop and start not helped by all the interruptions.

Her English was not good so she kept saying yes when it was clear that she did not understand. Example: is the door closed I asked her, yes she said and then it swung open while I was lying on the bed with not much on.

I came out feeling only a little better than when I went in as it all felt very perfunctory and that she was not interested in my well being or comfort at all. Just in finishing up. She seemed bored and disinterested and not happy in her work.

The spa area was the only area where I experienced a bit of attitude from the staff. Neither staff there were welcoming or friendly.

Also the first thing they tried to do was get me to sign the bill before I had any treatment and as i sat with my feet in a bath of water with the door to the spa open and no privacy as curtains also open, so it was not relaxing and was noisy. i said later and that I was having a treatment but just got the feeling that they did not really understand nor care. They just wanted to do the paperwork.

Cons - lack of English language, hotel experience and customer service skills.

As others have said this is a problem that Management need to fix quickly if they want to keep their prices up.

Even on the reception desk some staff seemed to struggle with their comprehension of what guests were asking for. There were two receptionists that had much better English than the rest.

Staff are very willing on the whole but language skills are on the low side and staff just seem to wander around. They don't seem to know what to do.

In the dining room they are either over observant and move your plate almost before you have finished eating or leave plates piling up. Also there is a lot of staring at guests which is most disconcerting.

Management - all of this needs your attention if you are serious about keeping Western tourists happy!

Cons - noise from streets, courtyard and windows

At the back of the hotel and on the third floor I could hear everything from street level through my window. This place needs better noise insulation under and around doors and windows or double glazing.

Outside: Cockerels, people talking, burning rubbish, motorbikes etc

Inside: furniture dragging, noise from the atrium and under the door owing to the tiled floors. Children screaming which just reverberates around the building.

Each night I had to put a towel under the door and sleep with ear plugs and air con on high to keep the noise out.

It did not help that staff left doors on each side of the floors open so
that all noise came through them. This also made it very hot inside.

Reception was very hot and the building inside also. The heat hits you when you open the door to your room into the atrium

This is a major problem that Management need to fix

Cons: lack of privacy around pool

This could be fixed very easily by installing some sheer material on the bottom section of the window in the dining room which looks directly out to where people are lying on the sunbeds - and by adding a three quarter high screen at the steps end of the pool to give guests some privacy

OVERALL
This hotel is lovely. I had a nice stay and if Management fixes these things this place will be even better. Lots of potential. Please note this is a hotel and not a B&B not sure why it is listed as one

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Minkamonka
Phuhao, General Manager at Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Writer,

Our Management is very pleased to hear all feedback from our valued guests like yours who really took your precious time to give us all of your thoughtful & considerate comments and we believe that we have only grown up "bigger" as we have found some great friends like yours who always support us along our professional by giving us the very thoughtful & constructive ideas.

All of your feedback will drive us in the utmost attention and we will remedy the shortage during our daily operation as we would like to be the top-notch service provider in this industry.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful of us and we look forward with pleasure to welcoming you back with us in the coming time with the surprised improvement.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location
Great breakfast
New room
Spotlessly clean
Pool, small but well maintained
Family and kids friendly
The hotel is only steps away from the old town and provide free shuttle to the beach several times a day. Massages are a little priced for Asia.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sam W
Phuhao, General Manager at Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

Grafton
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just spent three days at this very good hotel and have only good memoreis of our stay. We specially enjoyed the cooking lesson with chef Danny, who was also very knowledgeable when it came to my gluten free diet. The front desk arranged two very good tours of the area for us. The room and facilities were great, especially the covered pool. Recommend strongly. Geoff and Fran

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeoffGrafton
Phuhao, General Manager at Little Hoian Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Writer,

Many thanks for your voting us as the: " Top marks for everything" and our TEAM felt very encouraged & motivated with your happy recent stay with us and we look forward with pleasure to welcoming you & your friends back with us in the coming time.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We just stay two nights in Little Hoian last week. I like it very much. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is fair and the swimming pool near by restaurant is lovely, a little small though.

Our room facing the street was big, comfortable and clean. Something was wronge with the stool and it was a little bit noisy after using it. But it did not bother us.

The drive there was a good woker and a good company. He used to work for a luxury 5 star hotel and speaked simple English. When he drove me to the beach, we talked about local lives, changes in Vietnam and things like that. It was extremely fun and I would consider it as one of the highlight in Hoian.

The hotel is near the river and several minutes walk to Ancient town. I would not say it is a very good location, but acceptable.

Anyway, I like this hotel a lot. Feel like home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tangsuperman

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a newly opened boutique hotel in Hoi An, with a wonderful Hoi An style,nicely decorated, beautiful furniture and an excellent service. They offered to pick us up from Danang airport as a compliment for staying three nights, which was very convenient for us, and also the man that picked us up was very kind to us and welcomed us very well. He even gave us two bottles of water. They take care of every detail.
Then the only problems we encountered were on check-in and check-out. I think it's all opening problems and they will work them out. On check-in they said we had only booked for one person, when we are a couple, the thing is their booking webpage was not working properly. They apologized for the inconvenience, but of course it's not nice to have that kind of discusion on arrival. On check-out again they said we had not paid for the room, so we showed them our bank statement where it was clear it had been paid in advance.
Apart from these little problems, everything else was excellent. We had booked a deluxe room, facing the river, it was fantastic. The room is spacious, nicely decorated, gorgeous bed and towels, just as the pictures tell you on the web. The bathroom is nice as well, all the furniture in dark brown wood, so cozy! They offered coffee and tea making facilities, which is very comforting after a whole day sightseeing.
Breakfast is very tasty, the banana pancakes are the best! It has a nice variety and good taste. They also have an eggs station, where a cheff makes you freshly made ommeletes or eggs as you like. Service is wonderful, they are always with a big smile, they treat you like a relative, ask you how you slept and how your day was.
They help you rent a bike for the day, which was great to spend some time exploring the village outside the city centre.
The location of the hotel is perfect in my opinion, because you only have to walk 200 m to get to the Japanese bridge and the city centre itself, but it's far enough to enjoy the tranquility.
The hotel has a spa, but we didn't use the service. They helped us to book a taxi to take us to Hue, which made our life easier.
So in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for a lovely stay in Hoi An, they really help you spend a nicer time!

Room Tip: Please make sure you get a room facing the river, it's less noisy.